Recent

Author Topic: [SOLVED - BUT NOT SATISFACTORILY] Better search and replace dialog...  (Read 7835 times)

eljo

Re: Better search and replace dialog...
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2020, 11:47:49 pm »
Nope... wrong answer. It is selected.
Nope you did it wrong.
https://gifyu.com/image/dJ1X

Edit
  changed image service the old one did not play the gif animation.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 11:58:52 pm by eljo »

GypsyPrince

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2020, 12:44:04 am »
I see what the problem is.
Others like me whose native language is English have noticed that while the application and documentation are in English, it is not the dialect of English spoken by people who speak native English.

In other words, the English used in the application and documentation does not make sense to Americans and British - because it is a different English.

To a person who is American or British, the phrase "Replace All" means to replace all of the words at once. The way the process works in that video, the button should instead be labeled "Replace Next" or "Replace On at a Time". Others from America and England I have messaged with in here have had the some concerns.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 12:56:58 am by GypsyPrince »

eljo

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2020, 12:47:31 am »
Okay.
I can tell this is a dead end-street so I'm just going to drop the issue.
Have you managed to see the behavior I'm showing on the gif in my previous post?
If not then something is wrong and you better find what. As for the better dialog I don't mind it I'll even test any dialog you come up with if that helps but I do not see my self writing one.

GypsyPrince

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2020, 01:11:48 am »
Okay. Thanks to your video I can do what I was asking for.

However, there is a problem with incorrect English on the control captions and documentation.

What is written in the documentation and captions often means something else to people who speak native English.  So, it is difficult to learn this application.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 01:17:11 am by GypsyPrince »

eljo

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2020, 01:25:41 am »
Okay. Thanks to your video I can do what I was asking for.
Glad I could help.
Quote from: GypsyPrince link=topic=49195.msg355836#msg355836
However, there is a problem with incorrect English on the control captions and documentation.

What is written in the documentation and captions often means something else to people who speak native English.  So, it is difficult to learn this application.
That specific terminology comes from turbo pascal and it was introduced by Borland an American company. So I would guess it is 100% "Native English" speaking.
A bit out of time? probably. A bit outside the norms set by microsoft? Certainly. But native english non the less.

In any case any and all suggestion for a better terminology is always welcomed (I think) just make sure you use the proper communication channel, which I have no idea what might be, someone from the team should inform you about that.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 01:27:40 am by eljo »

dsiders

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2020, 01:33:31 am »
I see what the problem is.
Others like me whose native language is English have noticed that while the application and documentation are in English, it is not the dialect of English spoken by people who speak native English.

In other words, the English used in the application and documentation does not make sense to Americans and British - because it is a different English.

To a person who is American or British, the phrase "Replace All" means to replace all of the words at once. The way the process works in that video, the button should instead be labeled "Replace Next" or "Replace On at a Time". Others from America and England I have messaged with in here have had the some concerns.

Well, the docs are open source too. You seem to be of the opinion that you're qualified for the task. So, if you can climb down off your high horse long enough... have at it.
Preview Lazarus 3.99 documentation at: https://dsiders.gitlab.io/lazdocsnext

GypsyPrince

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2020, 01:56:01 am »
Well, since so many basement dwellers in this forum want to act like juvenile dick heads rather than address a question in an adult-like manner, I don't believe this trashy place is for me.

So, if you can climb down off your high horse long enough... have at it.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 02:04:43 am by GypsyPrince »

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2020, 10:04:07 am »
In any case any and all suggestion for a better terminology is always welcomed (I think) just make sure you use the proper communication channel, which I have no idea what might be, someone from the team should inform you about that.
Patches for both code (including GUI resourcestrings) and documentation usually go through the bug tracker.
The mailing list is good for asking specific questions and discussing details as most developers read it.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2020, 12:28:38 pm »

I just checked: LibreOffice has the same "Replace All". And I am sure I have seen that in other apps...
It is the commonly used term. Especially in the old days, when all apps used to have a separate prompt dialog.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018