Forum > IDE/CodeTools

[SOLVED - BUT NOT SATISFACTORILY] Better search and replace dialog...

(1/5) > >>

GypsyPrince:
Would it be possible to get a better search and replace dialog in the next version of Lazarus. It doesn't need to be anywhere near as fancy as the one for MS Visual Studio.  But I would like the 'Find Next' and 'Replace Next' buttons that allow me to cycle through to each occurrence of a word - to let me decide whether I want to replace that occurrence or leave it alone. The point is... I would like for the dialog to remain open after I click 'Replace' and not close until I click a close button.  It is REALLY annoying to have to reopen the dialog for each occurrence I want to replace, and using the 'Replace All' function can often be dangerous.

See attached file for example...

JuhaManninen:

--- Quote from: GypsyPrince on April 04, 2020, 09:29:38 pm ---Would it be possible to get a better search and replace dialog in the next version of Lazarus. It doesn't need to be anywhere near as fancy as the one for MS Visual Studio.  But I would like the 'Find Next' and 'Replace Next' buttons that allow me to cycle through to each occurrence of a word - to let me decide whether I want to replace that occurrence or leave it alone. The point is... I would like for the dialog to remain open after I click 'Replace' and not close until I click a close button.  It is REALLY annoying to have to reopen the dialog for each occurrence I want to replace, and using the 'Replace All' function can often be dangerous.

--- End quote ---
You failed to notice the "Prompt on replace" checkbox.
The dialog works as well as the one in MS Visual Studio although it is different. This is not a Visual Studio clone.

Martin_fr:
with the "prompt" option, you will be asked for each occurrence.  Though the prompt has its own dialog.

There is also continue - usually F3.

GypsyPrince:
@Martin_fr

--- Quote ---...with the "prompt" option, you will be asked for each occurrence.
--- End quote ---

With "Prompt on replace" checked, it asks me only one time if I would like to replace the next instance. When I select yes, the dialog closes. I need it to not close until I tell it to close.

@JuhaManninen

--- Quote ---The dialog works as well as the one in MS Visual Studio...
--- End quote ---

No, actually it doesn't for reasons stated above. It is very inefficient in its current design.

eljo:

--- Quote from: GypsyPrince on April 04, 2020, 10:49:40 pm ---@Martin_fr

--- Quote ---...with the "prompt" option, you will be asked for each occurrence.
--- End quote ---

With "Prompt on replace" checked, it asks me only one time if I would like to replace the next instance. When I select yes, the dialog closes. I need it to not close until I tell it to close.

@JuhaManninen

--- Quote ---The dialog works as well as the one in MS Visual Studio...
--- End quote ---

No, actually it doesn't for reasons stated above. It is very inefficient in its current design.

--- End quote ---
you need to select replace all with the prompt on replace checked.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version