Forum > Lazarus

We are planning the next release: Lazarus 2.0.8

<< < (2/10) > >>

Martin_fr:

--- Quote from: eljo on April 02, 2020, 11:38:25 am ---
--- Quote from: Martin_fr on April 02, 2020, 11:37:22 am ---
--- Quote from: eljo on April 02, 2020, 11:02:22 am ---just a quick question is the help still broken?

--- End quote ---
Is/Was there a bug report about it?

--- End quote ---
I have no idea. I'm not that a frequent user.

--- End quote ---
Well, I was not aware that it is/was broken. Nor in which way it is/was broken.
Neither do I know if any other Developer knows.

So where/how does it go wrong? On what OS?

eljo:
really its so obvious its painful non the less here are the steps to recreate the problem

Start a new project
On the form that was auto created for you add a method name it test or something
add a variable on the body of the test procedure of type TSQLQuery;
so the code should now look like this

--- Code: Pascal  [+][-]window.onload = function(){var x1 = document.getElementById("main_content_section"); if (x1) { var x = document.getElementsByClassName("geshi");for (var i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.maxHeight='none'; x[i].style.height = Math.min(x[i].clientHeight+15,306)+'px'; x[i].style.resize = "vertical";}};} ---procedure TForm1.Test;var   Qry :TSQLQuery; begin  qry := TSQLQuery.create() ;  try   finally    Qry.Free;  end;end; place the cursor  somewhere on the TSQLQuery word and press F1.
In my installation I get a message  (copy-paste from my current test)

--- Quote ---[Window Title]
No help found for this topic

[Content]
No help found for "unit1.pas" at (34,14)

[Cancel]
--- End quote ---

version info as copied from the about box.
  Lazarus 2.0.4 r61665 FPC 3.0.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

that's it, the search does not work it comes up empty.

wp:
I confirm this behaviour with Laz trunk. But once the corresponding unit (sqldb) is listed in "uses", it works as expected. Same with ancient Laz 1.6.4. My feeling is that help never worked as you are expecting (although it would be reasonable).

eljo:

--- Quote from: wp on April 02, 2020, 12:28:43 pm ---I confirm this behaviour with Laz trunk. But once the corresponding unit (sqldb) is listed in "uses", it works as expected. Same with ancient Laz 1.6.4. My feeling is that help never worked as you are expecting (although it would be reasonable).

--- End quote ---

No it worked at some point, I remember using it to find out which unit to add to the uses clause on my units. if you say that 1.6.8 has the same behavior then I guess I remember it from 1.4 or older. Can I be wrong though and remember some other IDE? I'm certain it was pascal. Oh well, at least now you are aware.

Martin_fr:
Does your project compile? Do you have "sqldb" in the uses clause?

I did some tests:
- If I add your code, but do not add "uses sqldb", then I do get the error.
- If I add "uses sqldb" then it works.

Unfortunately I am not the one who maintains the help system, and I do not know how it is designed.

There could be many TSqlQuery in different units.
So if the IDE can not detect (from the uses clause, and from parsing the code in your unit), where TSqlQuery is defined, then I have no idea what it is designed to do.

Ideally it should give a list of all help topics for the highlighted word.
I do not know if that is implemented.

IMHO, it should be reported in our bug tracker.

If you need to find what unit to add to your uses: https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_IDE_Tools#Unit_.2F_Identifier_Dictionary_.28Cody.29
(though there was some trick needed, to scan and create the dictionary)

If you have queries on this, best to open a new forum thread, with a matching subject, so people who know will see it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version