Recent

Author Topic: We are planning the next release: Lazarus 2.0.8  (Read 33001 times)

lucamar

Re: We are planning the next release: Lazarus 2.0.8
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2020, 07:12:58 pm »
Further snapshots will be older inno as well. (So there will eventually be builds with the fpc rc that can go onto xp/2k)

Thanks, Martin.

I know it's not a big deal, this building from source, but having a ready-made installer really helps.
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2020, 07:37:33 pm »
Yes; I was thinking more of the future Lazarus 2.2 with FPC 3.2. If there is no installer one would have to install a previous version (say, 2.0.6), build fpc 3.2 and then build lazarus 2.2, ...
No. You make it sound more dramatic than it is. FPC will most likely have an installer of some sort for old Windows. Once FPC is there, building Lazarus from sources is easy. Building FPC would indeed be a bigger task.
You must build Lazarus in any case occasionally when installing packages. No big deal.
I am not saying that dropping Lazarus installer for old Windows is a good thing. I only say it is not such a serious matter.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2020, 07:50:12 pm »
One important thing about building Lazarus on low end systems. Especially low memory systems (such as any 32bit, with a max of 4G mem):

Disable smart linking. Smart linking the IDE, can take serious time, if you lack memory.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2020, 08:14:27 pm »
When ready-made patches that are confirmed are not applied for years, it kills the idea of team support for the product, because the work of team members is ignored, citing either lack of time or unimportant completion :'(.
I remember most of your patches have been applied within a reasonable time frame. Yes, there may be exceptions for that.
I have applied a big number of your patches.
Please start a new forum thread about ignored patches and list the problematic ones. They are not really related to Lazarus 2.0.8 release and merging process.

I agree with you that ignoring a contributor's patch for a long time is a bad thing and should not happen.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

ca70du

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2020, 09:54:10 pm »
The Lazarus team has scheduled

Lazarus 2.0.8
      for April 2020 (estimated 14th to 20th)

This release will be built with FPC 3.0.4.

Here is the list of fixes for Lazarus 2.0.8 (since 2.0.0):
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_2.0_fixes_branch

We would invite everyone to provide their feedback to help us improve
this upcoming release. Please let as know in particular:
- Any bug-fixes already made to trunk, that you believe should still be
  merged to the fixes branch (fixes that are not listed on the above wiki page)
- Any regressions that happened in fixes branch since the release of 2.0
- Other urgent matters, you believe we should know before the release.

Please attempt to provide your feedback by: 9th April 2020

More info on our release process can be found at (work in progress):
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_release_engineering

Information about the previous release:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_2.0.0_release_notes
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User_Changes_3.0.4

The intended minimum requirements for the release will be:

Windows:
   2k(*), XP(*), Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10, 32 or 64bit.

FreeBSD/Linux:
   gtk 2.8 for gtk2, qt4.5 for qt, qt5.6 for qt5, 32 or 64bit.

macOS:
   10.5 to 10.12; Carbon (32bit), Cocoa (64bit, beta), qt and qt5
   (32 or 64bit).

(*) requires install from sources

Please, fix the annoying 0036261: Build the IDE fails issue.

[]'s,
Carlos Eduardo S. Matuzaki
Curitiba/PR/Brazil

wp

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2020, 11:31:01 pm »
Has been fixed and back-ported several months ago (r62208: IDE+lazbuild: build IDE: pass idemake.cfg without quotes, issue 36261) --> it will be included.

eljo

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2020, 02:55:08 am »
Does your project compile? Do you have "sqldb" in the uses clause?
aparently not that was the point to find out where the class where defined.
I did some tests:
- If I add your code, but do not add "uses sqldb", then I do get the error.
- If I add "uses sqldb" then it works.
well the search for information is more than half the help functionality but I get your point.

Unfortunately I am not the one who maintains the help system, and I do not know how it is designed.

There could be many TSqlQuery in different units.
So if the IDE can not detect (from the uses clause, and from parsing the code in your unit), where TSqlQuery is defined, then I have no idea what it is designed to do.

Ideally it should give a list of all help topics for the highlighted word.
I do not know if that is implemented.

IMHO, it should be reported in our bug tracker.

If you need to find what unit to add to your uses: https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_IDE_Tools#Unit_.2F_Identifier_Dictionary_.28Cody.29
(though there was some trick needed, to scan and create the dictionary)

If you have queries on this, best to open a new forum thread, with a matching subject, so people who know will see it.
Agreed with most of your points so far. Being a tourist in this community I fill like complaining for a free meal so I mostly keep it to my self except maybe a hint here and there.

Eljo, I wonder if you are thing of the "Show Unit, Identifier Dictionary" ?  Its great when you want to know what unit needs to be included.  However, it maintains its own database and needs to learn where things that you use are.  But I sure recommend it.

Hmm, maybe you need to install 'cody' package, then you will find it under the 'Source' menu.

Davo
I wasn't aware of that I'll have to take a closer look thank you, although old habits die hard and all that.

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2020, 06:06:08 am »
I should point out that the problem with Ubuntu 20.04 beta mentioned https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,48720.msg351354.html#msg351354 but is much better documented at https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,48681.msg355565.html#msg355565 still exists.

I have just tested both Lazarus Fixes and Lazarus Trunk on a U20.04 beta, dated 1 April, and can confirm apps based on GTK2 made with Lazarus and Lazarus itself have a little crash at exit.  My tests from a month ago indicate that if I install the Ubuntu Repo FPC304 it does not happen !

Ubuntu is one of the more widely used Linux distros and 20.04 is a Long Term Release, good for six years.  While their beta is still three weeks away from release version, their time line indicates, to me, that what we see there now will be what we end up with !

As this problem can attributed to either Lazarus or FPC, its Lazarus because FPC does not use GTK, its FPC because, somehow, the Ubuntu developers have a FPC fix for it, no, tests I just conducted now indicate both problems still happen with Ubuntu repo release of FPC. Maybe its a packaging issue ?   No, its not.

Davo

« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 11:24:48 am by dbannon »
Lazarus 2, Linux (and reluctantly Win10, OSX)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2020, 02:00:35 pm »
well the search for information is more than half the help functionality but I get your point.

Note, I do not say that it's not broken. Just I do not know, if the behaviour is correct or not (it could be either).

I'll ask around, maybe someone knows....

In the meantime, you can always add a bug report. If not a bug, then it is a feature....

mischi

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2020, 03:01:04 pm »
With fpc 3.2.0-rc1, building lazarus-cocoa with 2.0-fixes is broken:

cocoaprivate.pas(1552,26) Error: identifier idents no member "setNeedsDisplay"
cocoaprivate.pas(1563,8) Error: identifier idents no member "setNeedsDisplay"

I do not really know the details, but I assume the update of the Cocoaint header translations has not been taken into account.

After replacing  setNeedsDisplay  in cocoaprivate.pas with  setNeedsDisplay_(true)  the next error shows up:

cocoascrollers.pas(53,15) Error: There is no method in an ancestor class to be overridden: "setDocumentView(NSView);"
cocoascrollers.pas(53,15) Error: Objective-C messages require their Objective-C selector name to be specified using the "message" directive.
cocoascrollers.pas(53,15) Error: Mismatch between number of declared parameters and number of colons in message string.

Filing a bug report.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 04:08:54 pm by mischi »

ASerge

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2020, 03:37:31 pm »
I have applied a big number of your patches.
Sorry for the emotion. Thank you for what you are doing.

ottod

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2020, 07:56:04 pm »
When Lazarus 2.0.6 was released I tried to create Debian packages for Raspbian and I succeeded thanks to the work of the FPC and Lazarus teams. It is documented here:
https://wiki.freepascal.org/Build_current_FPC_and_Lazarus_for_Raspbian
Those are instructions for the end-user trying to do the same.
For the team building the 2.0.8 release it is just adding support for the armhf architecture, which is done by editing two files, adding a couple of lines to each one: create_fpc_deb.sh and create_lazarus_deb.sh; steps 15 & 22 in the above wiki article.
I think many of us will be grateful to have official support for Raspbian. I am of the opinion that a tool like FPC/Lazarus is essential to put the Raspberry Pi 4 to business use in the under-developed parts of the world. VM and interpreted languages suffer a big performance hit that is easily overcome by the native compilation offered by FPC/Lazarus. Of course the same native compilation can be expected from C, Rust, and similar but they are lower level languages where you have to manually link to GTK, Qt or whatever to have a working desktop app.
If I can be of any help I'll be around.
Stay safe.

young_nandy

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2020, 04:25:10 am »
your website is still not updated. it's confusing, I guess it's not continued

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2020, 07:31:26 am »

Looks updated to me - see attachment snipped from the Lazarus-IDE website home page.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2020, 12:57:17 pm »
What part of it is not updated?

TinyPortal © 2005-2018