Forum > Lazarus

We are planning the next release: Lazarus 2.0.8

<< < (4/10) > >>

Martin_fr:

--- Quote from: ASerge on April 02, 2020, 12:53:54 pm ---It is strange that many patches wait for years and are not applied. Why make them at all?

--- End quote ---
It's a known problem, with many reasons...

Some are simply overlooked.
If no one acknowledged the mantis-report  (in 4 to 8 weeks), then add a ping, or better send a mail to the maillist, asking for the patch to be reviewed.

Some are not picked up, because there is no dedicated maintainer to the code, and everyone is too busy. Or the patch is touching a complex problem, that needs deep investigation and testing. (The "pass the buck" situation / not good, but happens). Same way to go, ask on the mail list.

Once it is assigned, there should hopefully at least be a comment or other communication....

lucamar:

--- Quote from: Martin_fr on April 02, 2020, 10:43:37 am ---The intended minimum requirements for the release will be:

Windows:
   2k(*), XP(*), [...]

(*) requires install from sources
--- End quote ---

Does that means there will be no installer for those two OSs? And, if so, will this be just for this release or from now on?

JuhaManninen:

--- Quote from: ASerge on April 02, 2020, 12:53:54 pm ---Already resolved from the bug list:

--- End quote ---
It was a controversial issue and the patch was just applied. I don't feel comfortable merging it. Usually something bad happens with such last moment merges. Also the bug was not serious, no crashes or lost data or such.

--- Quote ---35465,

--- End quote ---
Removing two unused parameters it not a bug fix by any criteria. It can be seen as a useless change because those parameters could be used in some future prospect. I remember getting feedback for applying such a patch.
Anyway, not merging for sure!

--- Quote ---35466,

--- End quote ---
C'mon! Deleting one unused variable is not a bug fix.

--- Quote ---35696,

--- End quote ---
This was applied from Mattias. I marked it for merging anyway now. Thanks.

--- Quote ---35173,

--- End quote ---
Marked for merging now. Thanks.

--- Quote ---35512,

--- End quote ---
Marked for merging. Thanks.

--- Quote ---35694,

--- End quote ---
Minor tweaking, or a micropatch as you call it. Not a bug fix, not merged.

--- Quote ---35467.

--- End quote ---
Another "micropatch" eliminating one variable. Why should it be merged to a bug fix release?

ASerge, I think you have misunderstood the idea of a fixes branch and a bug fix release.
Only bug fixes are merged. No new features, no refactoring, no optimization, no minor tweaking, no controversial patches which will need testing in trunk and possible further changes.

--- Quote ---It is strange that many patches wait for years and are not applied. Why make them at all?

--- End quote ---
Yes but that is a whole different problem. Patches, when applied, are always applied to trunk. Some patches are ignored for a long time which is bad, but it is not related to the process of merging to fixes branch.
Two different things.

wp:

--- Quote from: ASerge on April 02, 2020, 12:53:54 pm ---Already resolved from the bug list:
It is strange that many patches wait for years and are not applied. Why make them at all?

--- End quote ---
I looked through this list and found:
34759 - fixed on May 31, 2020.
35465, 35466,  35696, 35173, 35512, 35694, https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=35467 - you commented resolved reports. Don't do this, nobody will notice that you added something. Always reopen the report and put it to "feedback" (Not sure if a reporter is allowed to put a report to "feedback". But anyway, even if you can't do this, an unresolved report is much more visible than a resolved one).

Martin_fr:

--- Quote from: lucamar on April 02, 2020, 02:39:11 pm ---Does that means there will be no installer for those two OSs? And, if so, will this be just for this release or from now on?

--- End quote ---

I am not sure about other recent releases. 

I recently lost an ssd. While I have all my data, all applications/OS had to be re-installed.
The problem is what Windows versions innosetup runs on. The most recent version only targets Vista and up.

I can roll back to the 5.6 version used before, but:
 - not tested, supposedly it supports XP
 - though not sure if that includes the unicode version which was used

Eventually the upgrade will probably be needed, as there may be new features that could be useful.

So if the 2.0.6 installer indeed works on xp/2k (someone needs to test that), and there is demand for such an installer, then we can go for this (and maybe a  few more releases) with the older inno setup.

That said, those older Windows versions are not actively tested. They work, if any bugs are reported in time to be fixed for a release.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version