Recent

Author Topic: FPC 3.2.0rc1 released!  (Read 39390 times)

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
Re: FPC 3.2.0rc1 released!
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2020, 10:00:13 am »
May I make a suggestion on how FPC releases could be done in the future to allow for releasing say a patched unit in the FCL, but keep the compiler/RTL coupled?

As marcov said the problem is the dependencies. Especially if changes to an interface section are involved.

And what about bug reports? Currently user report against a fixed, released version (e.g. 2.6.4, 3.0.2) or trunk. If we'd separate the FCL or even split it then the user would have to report every version of the packages they use.

That said we're working on moving at least some packages to a more repository based approach (especially those that are simply library packages) with the help of fpmake and fppkg.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2020, 10:13:27 am »
That said we're working on moving at least some packages to a more repository based approach (especially those that are simply library packages) with the help of fpmake and fppkg.

From what I saw at the Berlin conference, that is still some time in the future:-)

Anyway, I just think that the current release form will mostly stay the same, just that the packages that are also in the package system will be registered to it. (though IMHO this means that package registry should not be in a global unit, but in installation directories to allow multiple versions)

Xor-el

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2020, 11:25:40 am »
Hi all, the compiler in FPC 3.2.0 rc1 seems to generate bad code when the following optimizations and configurations are used.
-CpCOREAVX2
-OpCOREAVX2
OPTIMIZATION USELOADMODIFYSTORE (enabled by default in -O3).

A quick test indicates that this issue does not exist in 3.0.4.

Yet to draft a simple demo that reproduces this error.  :(

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2020, 11:36:10 am »
Hi all, the compiler in FPC 3.2.0 rc1 seems to generate bad code when the following optimizations and configurations are used.
-CpCOREAVX2
-OpCOREAVX2
OPTIMIZATION USELOADMODIFYSTORE (enabled by default in -O3).

A quick test indicates that this issue does not exist in 3.0.4.

If you do, please report it at https://bugs.freepascal.org

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2020, 11:43:48 am »
would you maybe take a look at this mail of mine from November where I request some feedback about me implementing selection editors, please? :)
OK. I remember the mail but then I didn't quite understand what the selection editors were about.
I will study and try to understand it soon. (Not today though)

Selection editors allow to add/remove properties from the object inspector depending on the selection in the designer. In Delphi it's for example used for the TFlowPanel and TGridPanel to provide some of the non-published properties. To be more precise: if a control that's inside a TFlowPanel is selected then the Top and Left properties will be hidden (they can't be changed anyway) and a ControlIndex property will be added that allows to control the position of the control in the flow panel. With my changes that also works in Lazarus with its TFlowPanel. This mechanism can be used for other "magic" properties as well.

Xor-el

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2020, 11:58:32 am »

If you do, please report it at https://bugs.freepascal.org

will do.  :)

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2020, 02:14:15 pm »
OK, I found it easy enough to install RC1 on a beta of (March 30) Ubuntu20.04.  The repo has RPMs but no Debs and I really did not like the look of the install script, run as root ? no thanks.

So, I converted the rpm to a deb with alien  (fakeroot alien --scripts fpc-3.2.0-0.rc1.x86_64.rpm). Lintian found enough problems with the resulting deb to publish in a small paperback but it did install OK on my clean U20.04 vm.  However, seems alien overlooked the dependencies so I found it necessary to "apt install binutils make gcc" before using apt to install the deb (remembering, of course to set an explicit path to the deb).

The result was a working compiler, so, I got confident and pulled down Lazarus trunk and, sure enough it compiled that fine too. Manually installed the fpc scr tar.gz and up came Lazarus in all its glory !  Did have a problem with running the default demo empty form in Lazarus but thats probably some Lazarus issue I have overlooked. Tomorrow's problem.

Posting this, as much as anything else, so other in the Debian fold can easily install.

Davo
Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2020, 03:45:42 pm »
OK, I found it easy enough to install RC1 on a beta of (March 30) Ubuntu20.04.  The repo has RPMs but no Debs and I really did not like the look of the install script, run as root ? no thanks.

You can just as well install into a custom directory. Just make sure that the bin directory is in PATH and that there are symlinks to the compiler binaries in the lib subdirectory so that you can call the compiler driver fpc and that in turn can call the real compiler ppc386, ppcx64, etc.

kveroneau

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2020, 05:39:43 pm »

You can just as well install into a custom directory. Just make sure that the bin directory is in PATH and that there are symlinks to the compiler binaries in the lib subdirectory so that you can call the compiler driver fpc and that in turn can call the real compiler ppc386, ppcx64, etc.

When I use the install.sh script to install whichever version, I run the script as my user, and place the installation into my home directory on Debian.  Has been working perfectly, no issues besides needing to recompile the TextMode IDE if I plan to use it, so that it links to the correct libraries on my system.

DonAlfredo

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2020, 09:58:21 am »
Fpcupdeluxe, latest release, now has the possibility to install release candidates.

Navigate towards the tags-tab.
The lists will be filled from online sources.
Select the tag you want to use.
Press add tag.
It will be added towards the bottom of the normal target selection list in the basic tab.

https://github.com/LongDirtyAnimAlf/fpcupdeluxe/releases/latest

Bi0T1N

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2020, 12:38:13 pm »
Downloads are available at the main FTP server,

ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/fpc/beta/3.2.0-rc1/

Is there any faster mirror? I'm only getting a max download speed of 400kb/s. %)

Also the ftp protocol should be replaced with http/https because webbrowsers are going to remove FTP support completely. Chrome this month and Firefox in beginning of 2021.

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2020, 06:11:54 am »
From the release testing procedure:
Code: [Select]
5. open the installed hello.pp in IDE
6. make a minor change in the demo in IDE & save it
7. compile the demo file in IDE
8. run the demo within the IDE (debugger)
9. view documentation in IDE, traverse 2-3 pages (at least one with screenshots)
11. run testsuite

Which IDE is being talked about?

Where's the "test suite"?

It's also a little disheartening to see that only two users have signed up for testing, and both macOS users.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 06:23:09 am by trev »

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2020, 09:36:54 am »
From the release testing procedure:
5. open the installed hello.pp in IDE
6. make a minor change in the demo in IDE & save it
7. compile the demo file in IDE
8. run the demo within the IDE (debugger)
9. view documentation in IDE, traverse 2-3 pages (at least one with screenshots)
11. run testsuite

Which IDE is being talked about?

This is about a FPC release. So it can only talk about the textmode IDE.

Where's the "test suite"?

It's normally located in $fpsrc/tests, though I'm not really sure if a) we distribute it with the releases and b) if it would work without the sources. Also considering that we don't have 0 failures on any platform I don't think it would be that useful of the testers to run them anyway - cause they can't determine whether the test failure is a known one or not.

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2020, 12:06:37 pm »
trev, the ide ? if you have set your path to the fp bin dir, the command is 'fp'.   Its sure brings back memories !

The tests are in the source tar.gz, its extracted to fpc-3.2.0rc1/tests

Now, my question ?

Having completed the tests, what do we do with the report ?   In my case, its quite detailed -
Total = 7754 (25:7729)
Total number of compilations = 4781 (13:4768)
Successfully compiled = 3606
Successfully failed = 1162
Compilation failures = 9
Compilation that did not fail while they should = 4
Total number of runs = 2973 (12:2961)
Successful runs = 2961
Failed runs = 12
Number units compiled = 152
Number program that should not be run = 477
Number of skipped tests = 504
Number of skipped graph tests = 10
Number of skipped interactive tests = 31
Number of skipped known bug tests = 7
Number of skipped tests for other versions = 4
Number of skipped tests for other cpus = 267
Number of skipped tests for other targets = 185
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/dbannon/fpcsrc/fpc-3.2.0rc1/tests'
We have successful fails, things that should fail but did not, but particularly 12 "Failed Runs". Do we need to provide details of those failed runs ? 

This log seems to have had a number of failures too -

https://www.freepascal.org/testsuite/cgi-bin/testsuite.cgi

Davo

Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2020, 12:57:41 pm »
trev, the ide ? if you have set your path to the fp bin dir, the command is 'fp'.   Its sure brings back memories !

macOS - no such binary in /usr/local/bin, but I do have a (mislocated) man page for it.

The tests are in the source tar.gz, its extracted to fpc-3.2.0rc1/tests

Thanks!

TinyPortal © 2005-2018