Recent

Author Topic: [Solved] Lazanux Linux  (Read 4390 times)

Otto

[Solved] Lazanux Linux
« on: March 25, 2020, 10:11:17 pm »
Hello everyone.

I was asked which Linux release was best suited to develop in Lazarus/FPC for non-Linux experts.
I usually use the Manjaro Linux release (derived from Arch Linux). It seems to me very simple to use and also very stable. Would it be okay, in your opinion, as the first release ever?

Also I would like to know if there was a Linux release used as a reference for Lazarus/FPC?

Otto.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 09:37:43 pm by Otto »
Kind regards.

af0815

Re: Lazanux Linux
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 10:52:11 pm »
I use Debian Buster  O:-)

No modern gimmicks. Only stable and running on stable Hardware. Some people call this older  :o

BTW: This question is like 'what kind of girl/man you are looking for'. Everybody have his/her own point of view  8-)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 10:56:04 pm by af0815 »
regards
Andreas

winni

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 11:35:11 pm »
Hi!

Suse Linux was one of the very early distributions.

And from the early days of fpc and lazarus they had some who cared about the new stable packages.
So you get a new stable version only some days after its official release from they update repository.

There are some distros that put old versions into their packages.
With Suse you dont have that problems.

Winni

af0815

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 11:54:19 pm »
BTW: I use _never_ the fpc/Lazarus from the distro, the reason had winni explained - not up to date compiler/IDE - fixing nearly impossible.

Building from source (with help from eg. fpcupdeluxe) should be able for a non-linux expert. If not, understand the basics BEFORE you use the IDE and/or ask the right questions in the right thread of the forum :-)
regards
Andreas

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 05:52:35 am »
Would it be okay, in your opinion, as the first release ever?
Where does "first release" here refer to?
Also I would like to know if there was a Linux release used as a reference for Lazarus/FPC?
None AFAIK, all distros should work, provided it's built from source. If taken from package manager, then it's up to the package maintainer and AFAIK Ubuntu one sucks, arch linux one is up to date with latest stable, no idea with other distros so if I use something "unique" (e.g. puppy, solus, you name it), better build from source. There's a distro neutral tar archive for fpc in the sourceforge mirror.

Otto

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 04:55:00 pm »
@ af0815.
Thank you.

The problem I've encountered with Debian distributions and derived is that it's very easy to run into conflicts between libraries of different versions. Unless you are a mid-level user, it is often difficult to solve this type of problem.
Installation from the source is certainly not difficult, but it requires some mastery with the operating system. In fact, it's not unusual to have to install an additional library.

(-: I don't think mine is a question like: "What is the ideal type of woman"; but like: "In your experience, what is the busiest road at a certain time of day?"  :-)

Otto.
Kind regards.

Otto

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 04:55:48 pm »
@Winni
Thank you.

I have always heard well about Suse Linux; but personally I've never tried it. I'm going to install it in a virtual machine to do some testing.
How is real hardware recognition in Suse Linux?   

Otto.
Kind regards.

Otto

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 04:57:04 pm »
@Leledumbo
Thank you.
Where does "first release" here refer to?
I meant the first distributions for a user who was totally inexperienced in using a Linux OS.
I would have been better off using the expression: "Which Linux release would be preferable to recommend to Linux newcomers?"

<< I asked the question why I would need to collaborate with other programmers inexperienced in the use of Linux. I would not call myself an expert in the use of Linux, but I can generally solve the inevitable problems that you encounter in using a PC. However, I do not have enough experience to help others solve problems they encounter in using Linux. >> 

We may consider creating a Linux release with the Lazarus/FPC development environment already included, so that Linux newcomers can find a preconfigured environment.
I was, in fact, thinking of preparing a Virtual Machine with preinstalled a Linux distribution, Lazarus/FPC and the other tools necessary to perform the specific task. Obviously a VM has many limitations, but maybe it's an acceptable compromise.

Otto.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 05:00:57 pm by Otto »
Kind regards.

af0815

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 05:28:26 pm »
@ af0815.
Thank you.

The problem I've encountered with Debian distributions and derived is that it's very easy to run into conflicts between libraries of different versions. Unless you are a mid-level user, it is often difficult to solve this type of problem.....
Otto.
What did you mean with conflicts between different versions ?

Did you mean between computers ?!
regards
Andreas

winni

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 05:50:26 pm »
@Winni
Thank you.

I have always heard well about Suse Linux; but personally I've never tried it. I'm going to install it in a virtual machine to do some testing.
How is real hardware recognition in Suse Linux?   

Otto.

Hi!

Hardware detection works very well - even for exotic cards. Suse developed already 25 years ago their own tool called "sax" to detect all parameters for X11.

The comfortable swiss knife called YAST (yet another setup tool)  can do 95% of your jobs with hardware and software:

* hardware detection and configuration
* installing software and updates from the repository
* system: kernel, boot, netwwork ..... configuration
* users and security
* and and

Suse early had the idea of "Linux to the Desktop". So they were all the time eager to simplify the configuration.

I  work with Suse since christmas 1996. And I am often bothered if I have to work with other distros.

Winni

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 06:06:59 pm »
We may consider creating a Linux release with the Lazarus/FPC development environment already included, so that Linux newcomers can find a preconfigured environment.
I was, in fact, thinking of preparing a Virtual Machine with preinstalled a Linux distribution, Lazarus/FPC and the other tools necessary to perform the specific task. Obviously a VM has many limitations, but maybe it's an acceptable compromise.
Been there, done that. A ready to use preconfigured Lubuntu (if I remember correctly, but I'm sure it was LXDE based) with Lazarus preinstalled and preconfigured. Was an easy $50 job, but it takes quite a bunch of time for downloading, installing and configuring.

Otto

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 06:53:36 pm »
@ af0815.
Hello.

I am referring to the fact that sometimes it can become difficult to install some packages because they require different versions of other preinstalled packages/libraries. E.g. a package A requires the LA library version 1.0.2, package B also requires the LA library but in version 2.0.3. This can cause a conflict that is difficult for a beginner to resolve; an average user will be able to easily solve a problem like this or at least be able to get help by asking the questions correctly. This is a problem that they have or have had a bit of all OS; but, in my experience, Debian and derivatives are particularly prone to this kind of conflict. 

That said, I think Debian is a great distribution, but I don't think it's suitable for a beginner in Linux who needs to install a development environment. I think a beginner prefers to use a ready-to-use system.

Otto.
Kind regards.

Otto

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 06:53:54 pm »
@Winni
Thank you for your detailed information.

Otto.
Kind regards.

Otto

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 06:54:30 pm »
@Leledumbo
Very well, thank you for the information.
Did the recipients appreciate the work?

Otto.
Kind regards.

af0815

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 08:47:33 pm »
@ af0815.
Hello.

I am referring to the fact that sometimes it can become difficult to install some packages because they require different versions of other preinstalled packages/libraries. E.g. a package A requires the LA library version 1.0.2, package B also requires the LA library but in version 2.0.3. This can cause a conflict that is difficult for a beginner to resolve; an average user will be able to easily solve a problem like this or at least be able to get help by asking the questions correctly. This is a problem that they have or have had a bit of all OS; but, in my experience, Debian and derivatives are particularly prone to this kind of conflict. 

That said, I think Debian is a great distribution, but I don't think it's suitable for a beginner in Linux who needs to install a development environment. I think a beginner prefers to use a ready-to-use system.

Otto.
I see, but i have never seen such a problem in the last 10 yrs. To find out what library is need is one side of the coin, but i have never seen a library hell with versions conflicts.
The problem with the libs have to be corrected of the level of the package maintainer. Not on programmer side, but if you distribute an app you have the job of the package maintainer - and then you should know what packages your programm need.

Converted in the world of windows - if you write an app using qt, you should know how to bundle your app with the needed libs. If not you cant complained about it, because qt is not a mainstream on windows. The same have VS programmer too - deploy the rigth libs for the system. But this is not a bad of Lazarus or fpc :-)
regards
Andreas

TinyPortal © 2005-2018