Recent

Author Topic: Can't See Compiler Errors  (Read 748 times)

stansbkg

Can't See Compiler Errors
« on: March 23, 2020, 08:35:09 pm »
I must have changed a setting somehow. I get not compiler error messages, just "Compile failed." There is a hint of where the error is because the "Total lines:" entry is one line before the error. I tried changeing settings in Options>Compiler>Verbose, but nothing happened.

dsiders

Re: Can't See Compiler Errors
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 08:47:11 pm »
I must have changed a setting somehow. I get not compiler error messages, just "Compile failed." There is a hint of where the error is because the "Total lines:" entry is one line before the error. I tried changeing settings in Options>Compiler>Verbose, but nothing happened.

Right Click on the Messages window and check the filter settings there.
Lazarus 2.1 (SVN) / FPC 3.0.4 / FPC 3.2.0 / x86-win64 / Windows 8.1

Ñuño_Martínez

• Burdjia
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 08:47:34 pm »
Can you see the Message window?  If no try menu "Windows > Lost windows > Messages" or something like that (I don't have Lazarus configured for English right now).
Are you interested in game programming? Join the Pascal Game Development community!
Also visit the Game Development Portal

stansbkg

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 06:37:05 pm »
I may have an old compiler (version 3.0.2), but I can't find Messages. When I click Compile>Compiler Messages, I get no response. When I click Tools> Messages, I get a blank display. If I right click on the blank display, I get a menu: Clear, Goto source Track source, and Save as.

lucamar

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 07:30:18 pm »
I may have an old compiler (version 3.0.2), but I can't find Messages. When I click Compile>Compiler Messages, I get no response. When I click Tools> Messages, I get a blank display. If I right click on the blank display, I get a menu: Clear, Goto source Track source, and Save as.

"Tools->Messages" shows the "output" window for the tools (e.g. the output of "grep"). What you're looking for is indeed "Compiler->Compiler Messages" (or a twack on F12 :) ), though note the window should show automatically after selecting either Compile, Make or Build (configurable, IIRC).

It should look like the attached image, though note that it will be empty until you do a Compile, Make or Build. Also, if you have moved it manually to the left or right edge it may be difficult to see.
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus 2.0.8/FPC 3.0.4 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

stansbkg

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 08:22:15 pm »
Neither Compiler> Compiler Messages nor F12 does anything. When I click Window>List... I see there are Compiler Messages, but when I highlight the entry, the Show button is grayed out, and double-click on the entry does nothing. I can't seem to access the Messages.

lucamar

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 08:46:56 pm »
Strange; can you zip and attach a copy of your project directory including any fp.*? Attach also a screenshot of what you see after clicking "Compile->Compiler Messages", with the menu showing if it's possible (just like my previous screenshot).

Here I'm able to open that window in all circumstances, whether there is any source open, an active project, or whatever, so let's see what's different in your install
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 08:49:37 pm by lucamar »

stansbkg

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 05:27:56 pm »
I've tried three times to transmit my project directory and screenshot. They appear to upload from here, but I don't that they have arrived there. Suggestions?

winni

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 05:47:43 pm »
Hi!

Upload must be < 250 kB.

Is that the reason for the problem?

stansbkg

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 06:59:56 pm »
That was the problem. I'm not sure how to get things to you. Even the zipped version of fp.exe is 3394kB. My whole project folder zips to 1MB. I can send the screenshot, but it basically looks like yours.

lucamar

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 07:22:13 pm »
We don't need the whole Free Pascal! Just your project folder (except object files, executable, etc.) which, depending on your settings, should also have files called: fp.ini, fp.cfg and fp.dsk

One thing I noticed in your screenshot is that the editor window is maximized; what happens if you un-maximize it (e.g. Using Ctrl+F5 or Window->Size/Move)? It shouldn't matter, the current window should come to front regardless of the state of the rest, but it might give us some clue if resizing/moving or even closing the editor makes the Messages visible.

stansbkg

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 08:30:15 pm »
I can't attach a whole directory, and I can only attach certain types of files. I created a single txt file by copy/paste of fp.cfg, fp.dsk, fp.ini, and fp.ans. I hope this is enough.
Also, when I click Window>Size/Move, everything freezes, and I have to close and reopen.
It's probably worth noting, I have FPC on a desktop and a laptop. They were downloaded separately and both have the same problems.

I'm sorry I'm taking so much of your time.

lucamar

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 10:24:37 pm »
I can't attach a whole directory, and I can only attach certain types of files. I created a single txt file by copy/paste of fp.cfg, fp.dsk, fp.ini, and fp.ans. I hope this is enough.

To post several files you should zip them and post (attach) the zip archive. See this wiki page for an explanation: Forum: Sharing large pieces of code. Though geared for Lazarus it's also valid for pure FP projects.

Let's see, though, if we can get by with the file you posted. Though note that fp.ans is just ANSI art which gets loaded when running fp; we all have it somewhere around ;)

I'll make some tests to try to see what might be happening but you'll have to wait till tomorrow (at the earliest); it's getting a bit late here :)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018