Recent

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Configuration/setup options explanations...  (Read 2628 times)

GypsyPrince

[SOLVED] Configuration/setup options explanations...
« on: March 18, 2020, 05:44:02 pm »
I have a few separate questions, but all which are related.

1. Under Project Options->Compiler Options->Config and Target there is an option entitled 'Win32 gui application (-WG)'.  Is this where I check or uncheck to choose between developing a 64-bit and a 32-bit application? If not, then...  a.) where do I make the selection to choose between creating an x86 or an x64 app, and  b.) what does this particular option do?
When I deselect this option, a console window pops up when I run my compiled executable.

2.) What is a good suggested document/book which describes in very THOROUGH detail, each and every option in both the application options and the project options?  All documentation and tutorials I've seen so far basically only give a name for what each option is, but does not thoroughly explain what each option achieves (the captions for each option do not help me to understand what it does).  I want to become an expert with Lazarus, so I want to learn more deeply than just quick and dirty descriptions to get me through one app.  Right now because I am doing tutorials, the project options are currently the priority.  But authoritative documentation on all the options would be very helpful.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 07:01:40 pm by GypsyPrince »

eljo

Re: Configuration/setup options explanations...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 05:53:05 pm »
I have a few separate questions, but all which are related.

1. Under Project Options->Compiler Options->Config and Target there is an option entitled 'Win32 gui application (-WG)'.  Is this where I check or uncheck to choose between developing a 64-bit and a 32-bit application?

No, that one is used to choose between console and graphics application.

If not, then...  a.) where do I make the selection to choose between creating an x86 or an x64 app, and  b.) what does this particular option do?
you need to download and install a cross compiler to 64bit, then you change the target cpu on compiler options\config and target page of the project options dialog.

When I deselect this option, a console window pops up when I run my compiled executable.
yes the default mode for a windows application is a console application -wg changes that.

2.) What is a good suggested document/book which describes in very THOROUGH detail, each and every option in both the application options and the project options?  All documentation and tutorials I've seen so far basically only give a name for what each option is, but does not thoroughly explain what each option achieves (the captions for each option do not help me to understand what it does).  I want to become an expert with Lazarus, so I want to learn more deeply than just quick and dirty descriptions to get me through one app.  Right now because I am doing tutorials, the project options are currently the priority.  But authoritative documentation on all the options would be very helpful.
Sorry I learned the fun way too. Change and hunt to see what changed, that took some frustrating nights and I'm sure I have some things wrong too.

howardpc

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 06:02:14 pm »
To add to eljo's advice:
Most 64-bit OSs will run a 32-bit app with no problem. It does not work the other way round, 32-bit systems cannot run 64-bit apps.
If you're cross compiling to an architecture different from the one Lazarus is running on, you also need to cross-compile the needed binutils and required libraries before you can successfully cross compile your app.
It is easy to select a different CPU target, e.g. i386 for 32-bit, or x86_64 for a 64-bit app. See the highlighted field in the illustration.

lucamar

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 06:08:41 pm »
As for documentation, there is no comprehensive one, AFAIK, but you might find useful the wiki pages in the category: IDE Window and similar.
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 06:09:48 pm »
I am not aware of any complete doc on those.

And even if there is, the level of detail could vary.
For example for -WG you need to know that windows differentiates if an app is a console app (with stdin/out) or not. And Windows therefore decides, if the app gets to have a terminal.
On other OS, all that is different....

A starting point may be the wiki (also try F1): https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Category:IDE_Window
Many options where once documented there. But may be outdated in the meantime...

And well... -wg is not part of it... https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/IDE_Window:_Project_Options#Config_and_Target

GypsyPrince

Re: [SOLVED] Configuration/setup options explanations...
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 07:10:05 pm »
Thank you to all!!!

All of your information has been very helpful. The compile options in the WikiDoc were thorough enough for what I needed today.

https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/IDE_Window:_Project_Options#Config_and_Target

I've developed in many languages and many IDEs before, but I am beginning to fall in love with Lazarus/Object Pascal.

Also, as much as I love computers, I hate reading ebooks and online stuff.  I'm an old fart who still prefers a physical book in my hand. So, please bear with me if I didn't already find what I should have.

winni

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 09:16:13 pm »
Hi!

About fpc books: Do you know this page?

https://wiki.freepascal.org/Pascal_and_Lazarus_Books_and_Magazines

Winni

GypsyPrince

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 12:11:15 am »
@Winni

Hi!

About fpc books: Do you know this page?

https://wiki.freepascal.org/Pascal_and_Lazarus_Books_and_Magazines

Winni

Yes, I've seen those books and have downloaded them. Thank you very much for your assistance! :)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018