Recent

Author Topic: FNX (big integers)  (Read 4518 times)

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
Re: FNX (big integers)
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2020, 10:53:05 am »
Any gpl license is a no go for me I stay away from them all.

You are aware that FPC's RTL and most of the packages are released as modified LGPL? ;D (though the point of that license is explicitly to allow inclusion in closed source applications; though if you modify the RTL or the packages then you need to provide these changes)

mjm

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2020, 10:59:04 am »
I think I cannot use the modified LGPL. In the fnx.Common.LowLevel unit, about half the assembler code (64-bit Linux) is adapted from GMP. And GMP is GPL or LGPL.
For me it is not so much the license, but the fact that you mention the assembler code... That is usually not a good idea

The assembler code can be disabled with {$DEFINE FNX_PASCAL_CODE_ONLY}.

eljo

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2020, 08:29:44 pm »

You are aware that FPC's RTL and most of the packages are released as modified LGPL? ;D (though the point of that license is explicitly to allow inclusion in closed source applications; though if you modify the RTL or the packages then you need to provide these changes)
yes, that is why I have no lcl or fpc based commercial applications. Its a playground for me, not a development environment.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 09:01:48 pm by eljo »

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2020, 06:38:29 pm »

yes, that is why I have no lcl or fpc based commercial applications. Its a playground for me, not a development environment.
You are mistaken. You can use FPC and LCL for producing commercial applications. Details here: https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/licensing#Licensing_relating_to_FPC.2FLazarus_usage
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

eljo

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2020, 08:37:35 pm »

You are mistaken. You can use FPC and LCL for producing commercial applications. Details here: https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/licensing#Licensing_relating_to_FPC.2FLazarus_usage
I do not doubt that the goal is to allow for commercial development. I just don't need the gpl headache so I stay away from it. I might use it for freeware or open source in the near future but I will stay away from commercial unless I can't find find anything else that suits me. Any way this is OT in here and I'll stop responding.

Otto

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2020, 09:06:55 pm »

I do not doubt that the goal is to allow for commercial development. I just don't need the gpl headache so I stay away from it. I might use it for freeware or open source in the near future but I will stay away from commercial unless I can't find find anything else that suits me. Any way this is OT in here and I'll stop responding.

Hi eljo.

I agree with Avra, it would be better if you read the page that he linked to you.

Greetings.

Otto.

P.S.
(-: Warning! :-)
When I reread the post my browser went into stack overflow for too many recursive citation calls.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 09:13:21 pm by Otto »
Kind regards.

mjm

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2020, 04:17:24 pm »

FNX 0.9.5 is now licensed according to the "3-Clause BSD" License.
See https://www.ellipsa.eu/public/fnx/fnx.html

I have added a "Towers of Hanoi" method to fnx.Demo.BigInts (only to show how to use the TBigIntStack object).
I also fixed a bug: BIGINT_ZERO instead of TBIGINT_ZERO in some units. It should have been done since v0.9.3 -- maybe one day I will succeed in correctly using the Lazarus refactoring stuff.  :)

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2020, 01:16:57 pm »
FNX 0.9.5 is now licensed according to the "3-Clause BSD" License.
That is much more liberal then I have hoped for. Thank you!
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

TinyPortal © 2005-2018