Recent

Author Topic: libQt5Pas names and versions  (Read 1959 times)

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
Re: libQt5Pas names and versions
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2020, 12:55:29 pm »
Sure it is around! It is the 2. most popular distribution in the world according Distrowatch.org's rating. MX Linux is the most popular.
The "r61322" in the package name clearly refers to Lazarus trunk commit from 5. June 2019 by Zeljko:
 "Qt: textRanges(). issue #35657"
It may well be the latest change in QT5 bindings.
Not the 'latest' but certainly later than most !  So, IHMO, its Manjaro and SUSE that are trying to keep up. And, I suspect only Manjaro are poking into trunk to really keep up!  Well done.  Only beaten by MXLinux, hmm, think thats tells us something ....

Anyway, version numbers are the issue. They need to increase so we cannot use, eg 2.0.6 because the package managers will insist they have a later version (such as 2.6~Beta, yuck !) .  We could, I suspect use something like 1.3.206. When the '1' is dropped off (Debian call that the 'epoch' and use it in the package name) that would leave us with 3.206, thats within debian's limit of six digits, would give us an somewhat ugly library called libQt5Pas.so.1.3.206 but we'd still have our symlink to libQt5Pas.so.1 which is all Lazarus cares about at present.

On my system, I found one library with a three digit number in its upstream version so, its possible. And, according to the debian policy manual, its legal.

Are we ready for a library, libQt5Pas.so.1.3.206 in a package called (eg) libqt5pas1-3.206-0_amd64.deb ?

Developers could specify they they need 1.3.* for their application and would be sure of getting the recent changes. That would be nice.

Other wise, we need to do, as I (tongue in cheek) suggested, wait until we hit Lazarus 3 something.  And thats a long way off.

Alextp, I'd rather get everyone on board with the version numbers in particular before going to the distros, we will only get one shot at standardising this. Please see - https://xkcd.com/927/

If zeljko is not happy, I guess we have to give up .....

(I will have to take my Mageia friends to task, they had informed me that Mageia had risen from the ashes for Manjaro ...)

Davo

Lazarus 2, Linux (and reluctantly Win10, OSX)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2020, 01:46:35 pm »
(I will have to take my Mageia friends to task, they had informed me that Mageia had risen from the ashes for Manjaro ...)
Somebody confuses things now.
Mageia comes from Mandriva which is discontinued.
Manjaro is based on Arch which is still alive and well.
[Edit] BTW, I learned that name Manjaro comes from Kilimanjaro which means "White mountain".
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 07:29:02 pm by JuhaManninen »
Mostly Lazarus trunk on Manjaro Linux.

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2020, 10:45:14 pm »
Somebody confuses things now.
Mageia comes from Mandriva which is discontinued.
Manjaro is based on Arch which is still alive and well.

And that 'Someone' is me ....

What do you (collectively) think of calling the current library 1.3.206 ?

Davo
Lazarus 2, Linux (and reluctantly Win10, OSX)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng

ChrisR

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2020, 12:40:16 pm »
The case for  1.3.206 sounds good. It should provide one consistent name for all distributions, and ties in with the Lazarus version. I think this choice far outweighs indecision. The Lazarus QT5 widgets is looking much more mature than a year ago, so having a method to ease deployment is timely.

Alextp

• UVviewsoft
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2020, 03:57:04 pm »
Agreed, version number sounds good.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018