Recent

Author Topic: m2/Ob07 compiler source  (Read 1338 times)

mercurhyo

m2/Ob07 compiler source
« on: March 10, 2020, 01:43:55 pm »
excelsior XDS 32bits native modula2/oberon07 released for free the source code of their (aparently discontiinued) compiler targeting 32bits i386 machines

here is the github repo, if any interest.

https://github.com/excelsior-oss/xds

At first, it was commercial, few years  ago it became free, now they deliver the source code...
Enjoy!

the compiler makes either native i386 code, either C transpiled sources
DEO MERCHVRIO - Linux, Win10pro - Ryzen9XT 24threads + Geforce Rtx 3080SUPRIM
god of financial gain, commerce, eloquence (and thus poetry), messages, communication (including divination), travelers, boundaries, luck, trickery and thieves; he also serves as the guide of souls to the underworld

mercurhyo

Re: m2/Ob07 compiler source
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 01:48:50 pm »
https://github.com/excelsior-oss/xds-ide

I forgot, the IDE for m2/Ob07

anyway, you can browse up excelsior's github repoitories, and find more

I personnaly built the eclipse plugins IDE from excelsior, with integrated debuger for the compiler i point
god of financial gain, commerce, eloquence (and thus poetry), messages, communication (including divination), travelers, boundaries, luck, trickery and thieves; he also serves as the guide of souls to the underworld

mercurhyo

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 01:55:53 pm »
Concise, Fast, Amazing!  :D

+1 for their Garbage Collector when Oberon07 compiler in use => New(object) okay, Dispose(object) unknown, because the compiler knows better when to dispose objects.

by the way the initialize and finalize operators introduced in fpc 3.1.x.x sound interesting "manual" path to garbage collectors
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 02:02:00 pm by mercurhyo »

mercurhyo

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 10:14:23 pm »
Ok,
this is a zip for Windows 32/64, ... containing

1 - Eclipse IDE + installed plugin to work with XDS modula2/Oberon07 compiler

2 - XDS IDE

3 - XDS compilerS (native 32bits, ANSI C language transpiler)

4 - Integrated debuger

Just unzip, and run this pascalish tool!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XctymJTTjL7lHFOG_DWuSEZmJ1KQtr-5

with the C transpiler you can build for 64bits machines (and even for 8bits machines with little changes, like I do with z88dk and sdcc under my emulators, actualy amstrad cpc and trs-80)

Have FUN!!!

Modula 2/Oberon07 are descendant languages of Pascal. they 'seem' more simple but yet very powerful. ask on the internet to get more infos (manuals, libraries, etc)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 10:33:57 pm by mercurhyo »

winni

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 10:53:44 pm »
Hi!

Some Modula2 Sources can be found at

https://www.modula2.org/

Winni

mercurhyo

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 01:24:19 am »
thanks @winni!

I didn't know about adw modula2, do they release the entire source code of their tools? I'll explore the site you gave, when i have time!

The interest of XDS modula2 that I point, reside in the following facts :

1) all sources available

2) ANSI C transpiler

3) to the point of view of new Pascal students, modula2 can be see as a simplified Pascal, Oberon as a simplified Object Pascal

as you can get all the sources, you can improve the compiler by yourself. and it perhaps can give ideas to freepascal compiler's team, by studying such sources (especialy because all high lvl languages, today, drive a GARBAGE COLLECTOR at memory management... fpc is late on that point)

as it can compile modula and oberon thru C source code, you can use the produced C sources to build apps on many targets... CPUs and Platforms (already talk earlier about that)

Regards.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 01:34:45 am by mercurhyo »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018