Recent

Author Topic: New User Portal for the Wiki  (Read 16681 times)

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
Re: New User Portal for the Wiki
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2020, 08:41:20 am »
This is all solved with the Translate extension and its page translation feature.

It shows the percentage of translated content, shows outdated translations and also untranslated parts.

Nice find.

Unfortunately I've unsuccessfully tried contacting the Wiki admin(s) who have virtual access to the server since January to fix the corrupted Wiki image database - I've posted here; on the Wiki feedback page; and on the Mantis bug tracker with no result. So getting this extension installed may not be that easy.

Otto

« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2020, 05:41:02 pm »
Hello trev.

I agree with Martin_fr, his solution would have been perfect if a macro could have been applied. From what you say it would not be possible to apply a macro in a short time and any changes would be equally problematic to apply. I suppose considering an alternative to MediaWiki is not a valuable possibility. Otherwise there would be different valid solutions, E.g. : TikiWiki, FosWiki, DokuWiki, Wiki.js, BookStack, Xwiki, wikidPad ...

Otto.
Kind regards.

af0815

« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2020, 09:10:21 pm »
one thing i missed for years is, a translate extension in the wiki. I have discussed this years ago, but the showstopper was in the past - it is to new and the version of the wiki is not the right. The answers in the past bring me to stop at this point.

Without a system to monitor the state of translation is IMHO a loose-loose situation in a long term.

yes, translation by google or similar is possible but not perfered. Some artikles i search always in my native language first. I see it with the excellent pages from Mathias about AVR. In this place the english have to use google translation 😊
regards
Andreas

zamronypj

• Fano Framework, Free Pascal web application framework
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2020, 12:04:49 am »
Languages links and Welcome to FreePascal section of Main wiki page https://wiki.freepascal.org takes significant portion of screen on mobile device.

I think it would be nice if those sections are moved to bottom so that more relevant informations (FreePascal 3.2.0 release candidate section and so on) are shown up on top. "Welcome to FreePascal" section is essentially an about page, which i rarely read because, IMHO, on the web, people mostly scan for information and  only read parts they need.

I rarely click language links sections  because of the fact that many of them have outdated
content translation and many of us, non-native English speaker, can read and understand English content without problem. Important thing is keeping current and accurate information.
So putting translation section on top, imho, not essential.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 12:10:41 am by zamronypj »
Fano Framework, Free Pascal web application framework https://fanoframework.github.io
Apache module executes Pascal program like scripting language https://zamronypj.github.io/mod_pascal/
Github https://github.com/zamronypj

trev

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2020, 12:29:08 am »
Some artikles i search always in my native language first. I see it with the excellent pages from Mathias about AVR. In this place the english have to use google translation 😊

You must have missed the fact that I  translated all of Mathias' excellent German language AVR articles into English a while ago :-)

asdf1337

« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2020, 01:27:49 am »
Also think that a translate extension would be awesome because it resolves all issues and looks kinda nice on their translate extension page :)
Personally I don't need translations because I'm kinda good in understanding English but I'm sure there are many people who would like to write in their mother tongue as it is easier for them and then someone else could translate it into English.

Isn't Martin_fr the administrator? If not, ask on mailing list?
Someone has to be responsible for fixes/improvements/extensions, if not it might be better to let it host by someone who cares about FPC/Lazarus...probably works fine on a free host and or any super cheap vps.

af0815

« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2020, 01:33:48 pm »
Some artikles i search always in my native language first. I see it with the excellent pages from Mathias about AVR. In this place the english have to use google translation 😊
You must have missed the fact that I  translated all of Mathias' excellent German language AVR articles into English a while ago :-)
I know it, but some comments of non german speaking people creates a lot of fun for me. Now they see how unconfortable it is to read interesting artikels not in english. And i think this people should now understand the opposide.

regards
Andreas

trev

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2020, 03:46:16 am »
Isn't Martin_fr the administrator? If not, ask on mailing list?
Someone has to be responsible for fixes/improvements/extensions, if not it might be better to let it host by someone who cares about FPC/Lazarus...probably works fine on a free host and or any super cheap vps.

Martin also suggested the mailing list which I've now done.

Indeed, it does not appear that anyone has been checking the Wiki server's operation for months or the Wiki Feedback page.

Bi0T1N

« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2020, 08:17:00 pm »
IMHO, it would be better to mark outdated translations.

1) So the translators can find them.
2) The users can see what changed in the English page

That is an excellent suggestion if, and only if, there are translators who are prepared to do the translating. I'd be happy to devote the time to checking all the translated pages (restricted to Latin character sets) to categorise those which appear significantly out of date, but only if there was a reason (ie that the out of date translations would be addressed). From my recent fixing of syntax highlighting throughout the Wiki, it appeared to me that the majority ofl the translated pages were out of date - they appeared to have been translated once shortly after the English page appeared and that was it. The only exception was a fair number of German language pages which had no English equivalent (which I've generally remedied at the time by creating English translations).

My original suggestion to delete non-English pages (for those that were out of date) was on the basis that distributing/publishing incorrect information was not only not helpful, but misleading. Your suggestion to simply categorise those pages along the lines of "Translation out of date" would certainly help to address that to the extent that it flags the issue with readers.
Sometimes the translations are even better than the english version, e.g. the wiki page for Longword is better in french and german than it is for english and russian. Thus an appropriate translation extension would be really helpful to have equivalent look, feel and information on the pages.
As we're talking about useful extensions: it would also be nice to use a modern style which supports smaller screens (mobile devices).

af0815

« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2020, 12:08:13 am »
one goal is, to see what is changed. this is importend, so translater can work. Actual you see nothing.

BTW there are wiki downloader, converter and more in the component/wiki area of lazarus. But not compilable now. Few years ago it was working, but now it looks unmaintained. And i am not able to find older entries in Mantis (6-8 years ago) for the wiki
regards
Andreas

asdf1337

« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2020, 01:47:59 am »
one goal is, to see what is changed. this is importend, so translater can work. Actual you see nothing.
I guess any translation extension is capable of exactly that. It's one of the fundamental things %)
The one linked above also supports it: ::)
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate/Page_translation_example#Last_words
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:PageTranslation

Seems it would also be quite helpful for the main-page:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate/Unstructured_element_translation#Localised_main_page_tutorial
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 01:51:06 am by asdf1337 »

Bi0T1N

« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2022, 04:51:11 pm »
I'm not sure if it's already used or not but I found this: Translate extension.
If you have ever tried to translate content in MediaWiki without any tools, you know it does not scale. The translated versions get out of date and there is no way to track changes to the master page, so there are many half-translated and outdated translations without a clear overview of the overall status. Translators often feel discouraged when they cannot work with small manageable pieces of text. Translators don't find what to work on or what needs updating. The users also get confused by outdated information.

This is all solved with the Translate extension and its page translation feature.
It shows the percentage of translated content, shows outdated translations and also untranslated parts.
Just to revive this topic:
The current used version MediaWiki 1.31.16 is EOL since 30 September 2021. So it should to be updated ASAP to at least 1.35.x which luckily supports the translate extension from my old post I quoted here. This would be a win-win for everyone :)

af0815

« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2022, 05:54:53 pm »
BTW: There is an open ticket https://gitlab.com/freepascal.org/fpc/source/-/issues/27684 about the translationtool since 6 years open.

Infos: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate

« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 06:01:37 pm by af0815 »
regards
Andreas

TinyPortal © 2005-2018