Forum > Documentation (Maintaining -)

New User Portal for the Wiki

<< < (14/15) > >>

asdf1337:
Also think that a translate extension would be awesome because it resolves all issues and looks kinda nice on their translate extension page :)
Personally I don't need translations because I'm kinda good in understanding English but I'm sure there are many people who would like to write in their mother tongue as it is easier for them and then someone else could translate it into English.

Isn't Martin_fr the administrator? If not, ask on mailing list?
Someone has to be responsible for fixes/improvements/extensions, if not it might be better to let it host by someone who cares about FPC/Lazarus...probably works fine on a free host and or any super cheap vps.

af0815:

--- Quote from: trev on April 11, 2020, 12:29:08 am ---
--- Quote from: af0815 on April 10, 2020, 09:10:21 pm ---Some artikles i search always in my native language first. I see it with the excellent pages from Mathias about AVR. In this place the english have to use google translation 😊

--- End quote ---
You must have missed the fact that I  translated all of Mathias' excellent German language AVR articles into English a while ago :-)

--- End quote ---
I know it, but some comments of non german speaking people creates a lot of fun for me. Now they see how unconfortable it is to read interesting artikels not in english. And i think this people should now understand the opposide.

trev:

--- Quote from: asdf1337 on April 11, 2020, 01:27:49 am ---Isn't Martin_fr the administrator? If not, ask on mailing list?
Someone has to be responsible for fixes/improvements/extensions, if not it might be better to let it host by someone who cares about FPC/Lazarus...probably works fine on a free host and or any super cheap vps.

--- End quote ---

Martin also suggested the mailing list which I've now done.

Indeed, it does not appear that anyone has been checking the Wiki server's operation for months or the Wiki Feedback page.

Bi0T1N:

--- Quote from: trev on April 10, 2020, 08:35:22 am ---
--- Quote from: Martin_fr on April 09, 2020, 10:40:29 pm ---IMHO, it would be better to mark outdated translations.

1) So the translators can find them.
2) The users can see what changed in the English page

--- End quote ---

That is an excellent suggestion if, and only if, there are translators who are prepared to do the translating. I'd be happy to devote the time to checking all the translated pages (restricted to Latin character sets) to categorise those which appear significantly out of date, but only if there was a reason (ie that the out of date translations would be addressed). From my recent fixing of syntax highlighting throughout the Wiki, it appeared to me that the majority ofl the translated pages were out of date - they appeared to have been translated once shortly after the English page appeared and that was it. The only exception was a fair number of German language pages which had no English equivalent (which I've generally remedied at the time by creating English translations).

My original suggestion to delete non-English pages (for those that were out of date) was on the basis that distributing/publishing incorrect information was not only not helpful, but misleading. Your suggestion to simply categorise those pages along the lines of "Translation out of date" would certainly help to address that to the extent that it flags the issue with readers.

--- End quote ---
Sometimes the translations are even better than the english version, e.g. the wiki page for Longword is better in french and german than it is for english and russian. Thus an appropriate translation extension would be really helpful to have equivalent look, feel and information on the pages.
As we're talking about useful extensions: it would also be nice to use a modern style which supports smaller screens (mobile devices).

af0815:
one goal is, to see what is changed. this is importend, so translater can work. Actual you see nothing.

BTW there are wiki downloader, converter and more in the component/wiki area of lazarus. But not compilable now. Few years ago it was working, but now it looks unmaintained. And i am not able to find older entries in Mantis (6-8 years ago) for the wiki

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version