Recent

Author Topic: Possible to do an Aqua GUI with lazarus?  (Read 16144 times)

szuchymj

Possible to do an Aqua GUI with lazarus?
« on: September 27, 2004, 07:31:14 am »
Hi, I was about to start porting my Delphi Win32 application to Mac OSX, using carbon, when I discovered lazarus. Now I am thinking that if I can get lazarus working on OSX, it might be worth it to port it that way instead of through carbon.

But this is only viable if I can make an application with the Aqua interface. I found this site: http://gtk-osx.sourceforge.net/

It seems like they may or may not have some native Aqua widgets available that work with GTK, that used in conjunction with Lazarus would do what I was hoping. But I am unfamiliar with Unix and it seems like it is a daunting task to install these things. Has anyone else already tried this?

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 07:38:05 am »
Edit: never mind, it seems all they have so far is buttons. Since it is a fairly simple application I am just going to do it with Carbon.

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 08:24:59 am »
Well actually - what about this?

http://www.wxwindows.org/

Example Screenshot:
http://www.wxwindows.org/screen01.htm

How would I go about interfacing lazarus with this widget set for aqua? (reading the wiki now)

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 08:51:08 am »
As I am learning more about this, it seems getting WxWindows to work with Lazarus has been suggested  many times before. Where can I find out more about these previous efforts, and why they have fizzled? Is it just too much work?

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2004, 09:15:32 am »
I think I found my answer here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/fpc-pascal@lists.freepascal.org/msg01507.html

The consensus seems to be that it is possible, but would take a lot of work. However, if it does actually get done, I think it will be the closest thing to Delphi for Mac OSX yet.

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2004, 07:31:27 pm »
Here is the google cache of that mail-archive site (it is not up right now):

http://tinyurl.com/6rdo6

I am going to try to get some people on the newsgroups interested in getting FreePascal/Lazarus to work with WxWindows. I know a lot of them have been wanting a Delphi-like IDE for MacOSX (or that can produce apps for OSX) for some time, and would probably be willing to contribute their efforts.

Marc

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2004, 11:46:19 am »
If you want to have a native Lazarus for OSX, I would personally put my effor in getting the carbon interface to work (and not in yet another wrapper)
//--
{$I stdsig.inc}
//-I still can't read someones mind
//-Bugs reported here will be forgotten. Use the bug tracker

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 10:39:30 am »
That would be nice.

I still can't understand why you can find a BorlandX working on Solaris (!), but can't find a Kylix or BorlandX working on Mac OS X...

Plus the fact that there is no RAD on OS X (Interface Builder is a joke, and Real Basic a toy)...

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2005, 09:05:38 am »
Here, here!

REALbasic is worse than a joke -- but the only tool we have found for quick OS X database front-ends. It is really a shame. I have been playing with JBuilder 2005 on my Mac, but that doesn't create a "real" Mac interface. I want Mac apps to look like they were designed on a Mac!

I wish Borland would have invested in porting Delphi to the Mac, instead of Linux. Kylix is dead, proving Linux developers seldom pay for anything unless they have no alternative.

Lightning

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2005, 10:21:02 am »
It seems it was cheaper to port Delphi to Linux, TrollTech and Borland are parteners so it was easier since TrollTech made the QT interface for Kylix, i don't know why but Borland seems to be Win only at the moment.

But since Lazarus is OpenSource it might soon be able to use Carbon if enough people want that and try to get it working.
The future must be... Fast and OpenSource so...
Think Open and Lightning Fast!

Marc

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 11:56:30 am »
AFAIK someone is working on a native Carbon interface. Ask the ML.
In the mean time you can use the X based gtk on Mac OSX
//--
{$I stdsig.inc}
//-I still can't read someones mind
//-Bugs reported here will be forgotten. Use the bug tracker

TinyPortal © 2005-2018