Recent

Author Topic: Oldies lovers there  (Read 1930 times)

mercurhyo

Oldies lovers there
« on: March 05, 2020, 11:09:58 pm »
for those who feel like dinosaurus squirels (nuts included lol), I share here something interesting

a full featured one pass modula-2 compiler working on amstrad cpc-6128/pcw systems

https://cpcrulez.fr/GamesTest/applications_coding-hisoft-modula-2.htm

https://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=12902

you can run this modula-2 compiler with CPCE emulator or the famous WinApe emulator

you also can get turbo pascal 3.0 for this old 8bits machine at
https://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&onglet=dumps&num=4183
and
https://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&onglet=dumps&num=5924

these soft are english/french/spanish lang

just follow links above, click on the little diskette display, and explore the pages

I made that post just to show newbies how damn pascal (and its sons) is great for 3+ decades proving its concepts, stability and strength compared to "fashions" around interpreted pycraps, bytecoded java, and ugly diamond of death C++... ;) Smalltalk adopted one only inheritance like pascal objects

Hope you will enjoy the pascalish playback to the future emulators and... who knows? bring you ideas to code
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 11:12:59 pm by mercurhyo »
DEO MERCHVRIO - Linux, Win10pro - Ryzen9XT 24threads + Geforce Rtx 3080SUPRIM
god of financial gain, commerce, eloquence (and thus poetry), messages, communication (including divination), travelers, boundaries, luck, trickery and thieves; he also serves as the guide of souls to the underworld

mercurhyo

Re: Oldies lovers there
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 11:14:29 pm »
yep ideas, because theses versions due to memory restrictions used to modify standards and brought big improvments at time
god of financial gain, commerce, eloquence (and thus poetry), messages, communication (including divination), travelers, boundaries, luck, trickery and thieves; he also serves as the guide of souls to the underworld

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 11:17:05 pm »
(hisoft also had a Pascal iirc)

winni

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 11:23:51 pm »

I made that post just to show newbies how damn pascal (and its sons) is great for 3+ decades proving its concepts, stability and strength compared to "fashions" around interpreted pycraps, bytecoded java, and ugly diamond of death C++... ;) Smalltalk adopted one only inheritance like pascal objects

Hi!

3 decades are not enough.

UCSD Pascal V II.1 was published in 1979 and later in the same year issued by Apple as Apple Pascal.

So take 4+ decades.

Winni

PS.: The Java bytecode is based on the UCSD p-code from UCSD Pascal.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 11:27:51 pm by winni »

mercurhyo

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 11:31:08 pm »
I just read again the 1st link i gave and WOW

set of 1024 elements on a 8bits machine in 1987 wowowowow

sets are 256 elements only on fpk in 2020 LOOOL

interestinnnng

mercurhyo

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 11:33:15 pm »
for I in mysetof65535elem do begin

would be cool indeed

winni

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 11:41:08 pm »
Hi!

Yes - I don't know what happend to the sets in Pascal in all those years.
Ts, ts, ts - 256. And SVS Pascal was even worse: only 128.

Old, old UCSD Pascal made no restriction - I think they had forgotten.
So you could build a set with the members [0, 1024, 32767].

But your program would hang at start, because you had only 64k RAM.

But a set with 1024 elements was possible then with no problems.

Winni

mercurhyo

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 12:01:19 am »
@winni

I suppose the way to encode a 16bits register aside an AVLBTree to access 1024 elements with no duplicates was lost in space hahahahaha

so for now when you need a 'For iterator in bag_of_elements' use a TAVLTree
 >:D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 12:05:16 am by mercurhyo »

mercurhyo

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 12:03:43 am »
 :P sets were droped out while ram went cheap and AVLBTrees raised  8-) I guess

winni

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2020, 12:22:24 am »
Yes, what a shame!

I love sets - they shorten and ease the code.
Instead of sets you see scanning through arrays or complicates case constructions.

Sets were en vogue in the early 70s but it seems:  now nearly forgotten.

So the fashion waves come and go - even in Pascal.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 01:53:03 am by winni »

mercurhyo

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2020, 02:50:53 am »
+1 winni ;) SMH sets were/are/sould be another JEWEL of wirthian languages, especially for unordered fast loops
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 02:55:44 am by mercurhyo »

mercurhyo

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2020, 04:31:17 am »

af0815

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2020, 07:19:26 am »
If you want to use AVR or similar, you have often a flashback to the 'old' good times  8-)

Less memory, you have to use assembler mnemonics sometimes, have to deal with interrupts, often no real multitasking,...  O:-)  :o  :D
regards
Andreas

mercurhyo

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2020, 08:29:24 am »
@af0815
 Adelson-Velsky and Landis is a self-balancing binary search tree (AVL tree) it has nothing to do with AVR microcontrolers

it's a binary tree guarantying the same period of time to pick up an element, and some years ago, while debugging the 'sets' on some famous compilers I noticed at assembly language level they used kind of bitwise AVL tree to spare memory and to keep those sets as fast as light speed
 that is why with a 16 BITS register holdig values from 0 to 65535, the max leaves count was 1024
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 08:33:34 am by mercurhyo »

af0815

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2020, 08:41:33 am »
I know the difference of AVL and AVR.

I mean the flashback with the limited resources and problems with trees, like the 8080 and Z80 times with CP/M and Turbo Pascal 3.0. 8 Bit and 16Bit registers only, 64k memory are enough for adressing.
We bought a extra package for TP3.0 in the company with a optimized balanced tree. I can only remember it was self balancing.

Normally you use self designed trees and must take care by yourself of the balancing eg. you load a sorted list.
regards
Andreas

TinyPortal © 2005-2018