Recent

Author Topic: What is the different between Programming/General and Free Pascal/General?  (Read 1046 times)

guest65278

And which box should I post my problem? Thanks  :P

lucamar

They are very similar but basically  "Programming>General" is for general programming questions, like "what's the best sorting algorithm for a list o strings?", while "Free Pascal>General" is for general questions about Free Pascal, like "what are the differences between ReadLn and Read?" or "how can I read a text file line by line?".

I'll admit it is thin, but there as a line separating the two concepts.

As for where you should post your question the answer is, of course: it depends on which kind of question and to what it relates. :)
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

guest65278

They are very similar but basically  "Programming>General" is for general programming questions, like "what's the best sorting algorithm for a list o strings?", while "Free Pascal>General" is for general questions about Free Pascal, like "what are the differences between ReadLn and Read?" or "how can I read a text file line by line?".

I'll admit it is thin, but there as a line separating the two concepts.

As for where you should post your question the answer is, of course: it depends on which kind of question and to what it relates. :)

Thanks.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
Originally the forum was lazarus only, and then the old FPC community site was abandonned and the freepascal areas added.

So strictly speaking programming/general is lazarus specific, and freepascal/general not.

guest65278

Originally the forum was lazarus only, and then the old FPC community site was abandonned and the freepascal areas added.

So strictly speaking programming/general is lazarus specific, and freepascal/general not.

Thanks for your new insight.

sash

Thanks for your new insight.
Thanks you're asking.
Many newcomers don't care. It's good to know someone does.
Lazarus 2.0.10 FPC 3.2.0 x86_64-linux-gtk2 @ Ubuntu 20.04 XFCE

TinyPortal © 2005-2018