Recent

Author Topic: "My Project" forum board  (Read 6290 times)

Raul_ES

• My interests: Healthcare & Computers
    • My Linkedin Profile, you can add me to stay in contact.
"My Project" forum board
« on: February 26, 2020, 06:11:28 pm »
Hello,

I think that the forum is actually great, usefull and plenty of information. I just wanted to say thanks to all the manteiners for their effort and dedication.

I would like to make a humble suggestion. I think that it would be nice to have a section or board to show off personal projects we have (commercial programs, open source, full applications, letc) and ask for advice or whatever. I believe it's interesting to hear from other fellow programmers that may have enlighting insights and important views, suggestions, positive criticism, etc. And it would be possible to find maybe, some else working in a similar project. Just an idea. I've been looking the forum but I didn't found the right place to do this.

regards,
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 06:16:09 pm by Raul_ES »
Pharmacy + Chemistry + Biology + Healthcare + Computing

If you have any interest or project related with these areas feel free to contact me!

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
Re: "My Project" forum board
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 06:14:00 pm »
+1

I often see such feature on other forums.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 06:22:01 pm »
Why not simply put those in the gallery in the wiki?

https://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Application_Gallery

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 06:24:07 pm »
... ask for advice or whatever. I believe it's interesting to hear from other fellow programmers that may have enlighting insights and important views, suggestions, positive criticism, etc.

Raul_ES

• My interests: Healthcare & Computers
    • My Linkedin Profile, you can add me to stay in contact.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 06:56:07 pm »
Why not simply put those in the gallery in the wiki?

https://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Application_Gallery

Thanks for the link. I think that the Application Gallery is more suited for fully operational and mature projects. My suggestion is more intended for  new projects that may require advice, specially intended for the first stages of development, concept design, architecture, user interface design, etc ... New projects on early stages can benefit from comments and insights from other users that can contribute to the development itself. Older projects may benefit from discovering wrong ideas and may help to redesign parts of the project.
Pharmacy + Chemistry + Biology + Healthcare + Computing

If you have any interest or project related with these areas feel free to contact me!

mercurhyo

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 06:12:20 pm »
+10 Paul_ES

@Marcov, a gallery is different. the point is that galleries expose finished (more or less) working appz ...

I think the cool part about a forum section where ppl expose their actual projects resides in tthe fact that the section could serve for volumters to propose their help on exposed "in progress" projects.

Call it "On-Air Users Projects" and stick an announce explaining how that part of forum runs, following what I said above, with little rules of conduct at your flavoir (link to projects needing free help, no ads for other, estimated rank of difficulty to help, etc...) and I think it's gonna be great!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 06:18:02 pm by mercurhyo »
DEO MERCHVRIO - Linux, Win10pro - Ryzen9XT 24threads + Geforce Rtx 3080SUPRIM
god of financial gain, commerce, eloquence (and thus poetry), messages, communication (including divination), travelers, boundaries, luck, trickery and thieves; he also serves as the guide of souls to the underworld

Ñuño_Martínez

• Burdjia
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 10:20:01 pm »
+1 to this new forum board. :)
Are you interested in game programming? Join the Pascal Game Development community!
Also visit the Game Development Portal

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 10:38:53 pm »
I'm no fan of using the forum for non-forum purposes. But it is not my call,  I don't own the forum.

GAN

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 11:16:56 pm »
I think we need new sections: code bank, "how to", examples, etc. But not in the forum, on the wiki maybe, with a link in the forum to those new sections.
Lazarus 2.0.8 FPC 3.0.4 Linux Mint Mate 19.3
Zeos 7̶.̶2̶.̶6̶ 7.1.3a-stable - Sqlite 3.32.3 - LazReport

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 11:27:09 pm »
It sounds a bit like a blog to me, a developer could keep a running report on progress.

I am not sure how I feel about it, its not really a forum activity but thats not necessarily a bad thing. But right now, when someone needs some help, they do ask on the forum (and usulally get an answer). So, the new content would be -
* Hey, it compiles !
* Hey, wow, a seg fault !
* Hey, I fixed it.
* Hey, no, maybe not....

No, I don't think we need that, and only because it would dilute the already too short 'Recent" list, right of screen.  Things scroll through there too quickly already.

Davo
Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

winni

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 11:39:17 pm »
It sounds a bit like a blog to me, a developer could keep a running report on progress.
Things scroll through there too quickly already.

Davo

Yes - there is an arrow missing "10 messages back". Is that possible?

Winni

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 11:40:07 pm »
I think we need new sections: code bank, "how to", examples, etc. But not in the forum, on the wiki maybe, with a link in the forum to those new sections.

Yes, Handoko suggested something here https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,48264.msg347466.html#msg347466

But it got bogged down looking at putting it on main Lazarus page v. the wiki.

I think it needs to go ahead, on the wiki and could, later be linked to main page if desirable. I recommend restating the discussion in that link ...

Davo
Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 12:07:28 am »
I think the "code bank" / tutorial staff belongs into its own thread.

I think that it would be nice to have a section or board to show off personal projects we have (commercial programs, open source, full applications, letc) and ask for advice or whatever.
"show off" definitely points too app gallery.   (Though admittedly that may in itself need more prominence....)

Thanks for the link. I think that the Application Gallery is more suited for fully operational and mature projects. My suggestion is more intended for  new projects that may require advice, specially intended for the first stages of development, concept design, architecture, user interface design, etc ... New projects on early stages can benefit from comments and insights from other users that can contribute to the development itself. Older projects may benefit from discovering wrong ideas and may help to redesign parts of the project.

That needs to be a bit more detailed.....

Many of the issues, that one will discover when planing a project are covered by other boards. And for those missing a "my project" board might be a misnomed "general" board.....

There are technical topics like:
- GUI design (in which order to place cancel and ok buttons, to make them intuitive)
- Code design or layout / planing which design patterns to use ....

Both of them have no dedicated boards yet. They are not specific to programming in Pascal, but they might still be ok. The bigger issue is, that I really have seen no demand of them at all. Maybe a bit of code design somewhere once, but as long as it is that low frequented, I think it does fine in the general board.

Anyway neither of the above two would fall into "my project"

--
The other use I can think off is to ask: What should I add to my project. Should I do this feature or that feature, or does someone have an idea for a feature.....
But that would be neither Pascal related, no Lazarus, nor Fpc related.
And it would fill the "recent posts" with lots of completely off topic messages.
I do not think that this forum should be used for such discussions of other projects.

So what else should the "my project" board contain?

--
The best I could see is a need for a place where you could say, I started FOO, are there fellow Pascal programmers that want to contribute, please join me at http://......

However the trick would be, that this would be one off announcements. I.e. this would need to be a board, where you can only post a new topic, but can not reply to any existing post.

It would require people to have their own forums. So that might in turn reduce traffic on such a board to a trickle.

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 01:25:00 am »
No, I don't think we need that, and only because it would dilute the already too short 'Recent" list, right of screen.
 Things scroll through there too quickly already.

At the bottom of the main forum page in the Lazarus - Info Center  is "View the most recent posts on the forum" which is a list of the actual posts, rather than just topic lines, which shows the last 100 posts made to the forum. Saves trawling through each sub-forum looking for posts that scrolled out of the right-hand "Recent" listing.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki

TinyPortal © 2005-2018