Bookstore

Recent

Author Topic: Ubuntu 20.04  (Read 470 times)

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
Ubuntu 20.04
« on: February 26, 2020, 01:36:01 am »

There are now available early releases of the forthcoming Ubuntu 20.04 and given the problms we found in https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,47240.0.html I thought I'd have a play. No point in complaining to Cannonical after release -

Its a 2.6G download, I tested only the 64bit system in a VM and found -

1. No sign of the long delays and (sometimes) crashes we saw in U19.10 !
2. Out of the box, U20.04 seems to have almost all the GTK2 stuff we need. Unlike U19.10 that required a dependencies download of some 200meg.
3. It does not use Wayland by default !
4. I installed FPC320 and used it to build Lazarus Fixes without problems.

For such an early release, seemed stable and functional !

I did notice that some TLables in my app had the text's decenders clipped. So a 'y' looked like a 'v' that might require a further look at.

But overall, good news IMHO.

Davo
Lazarus 2, Linux (and reluctantly Win10, OSX)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng

Ñuño_Martínez

• Burdjia
Re: Ubuntu 20.04
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 12:23:47 pm »
1. No sign of the long delays and (sometimes) crashes we saw in U19.10 !
2. Out of the box, U20.04 seems to have almost all the GTK2 stuff we need. Unlike U19.10 that required a dependencies download of some 200meg.
I'm using Xubuntu 19.10 for a month and I didn't see any crash or the extra 200Meg you're talking about.

Unless you're talking about Lazarus running in 19.10. Then I have only one issue with it (still not crashing though).
Are you interested in game programming? Join the Pascal Game Development community!
Also visit the Game Development Portal

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 11:06:41 pm »
I'm using Xubuntu 19.10 for a month and I didn't see any crash or the extra 200Meg you're talking about.
No, you would not have, This problem applied to the default, Gnome based Ubuntu

Unless you're talking about Lazarus running in 19.10. Then I have only one issue with it (still not crashing though).
Yeah, I saw that post.  I was not sure what you meant by the "configuration dialog via menu", is that the dialog that pops up the first time you run a new install ?  I guess you installed from a deb, did you use the startlazarus command ?

Davo
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 11:12:51 pm by dbannon »
Lazarus 2, Linux (and reluctantly Win10, OSX)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng

Zvoni

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 08:38:01 am »
That is good news, indeed.
After Canonical borked U19.10, i switched to Debian 10/Gnome, but there i have the problem with "outdated" versions.
Since i have Manjaro/Gnome on my second Laptop, and there everything is running like mad, i was considering to switch to Manjaro completely.
The only thing stopping me doing it on my main Laptop, is that i actually really like Ubuntu, and the fact, that i would need to install a lot from AUR on Manjaro.
One System to rule them all, One IDE to find them,
One Code to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
---------------------------------------------------------------------
People call me crazy, because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine aircrafts

mdalacu

• dmSimpleApps
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 09:32:26 am »
Just for fun in a x64 vm i have updated Kubuntu 19.10 to 20.04 and everything works. Lazarus and all my compiled applications.  ;)

Ñuño_Martínez

• Burdjia
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 11:15:13 am »
Yeah, I saw that post.  I was not sure what you meant by the "configuration dialog via menu", is that the dialog that pops up the first time you run a new install ?  I guess you installed from a deb, did you use the startlazarus command ?
No, I don't mean that.  I mean using menu "Tools>Options..." it raises the exception, but I can right-click in some parts (for example the source code editor) to access to part of the configuration.

I've answered in the original thread too.
Are you interested in game programming? Join the Pascal Game Development community!
Also visit the Game Development Portal