Recent

Author Topic: Question about Web info and copyright  (Read 2669 times)

MarkMLl

Re: Question about Web info and copyright
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 05:50:39 pm »
You are mixing two different things here.

Flight data for aircraft in flight and Schedules. These are two different things and the data comes from two sources.

Aircraft in flight comes from  ADS-B  system while schedules are supplied by each carrier to the airport. ADS-B systems can't predict what AAL or DAL is going to fly and where, Only where the aircraft is currently under certain conditions. If the aircraft has no power ADS-B can't see it.

"Such-and-such a flight has just taken off", irrespective of the expectations of the schedule, is information which is in the public domain. Now if you'd said at the start "I'm interested in appropriating transponder data collected by Flightradar24" that would have been somewhat different- subject to the legitimacy of their collecting it.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

JLWest

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2020, 07:04:18 pm »
I'm interested in flight schedules, not aircraft in-transit.  Almost all airport ports (where commercial carriers operate) post the data on the airport website. However; FlightTrader24 collates the  data and post the aggregate.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 07:07:35 pm by JLWest »
FPC 3.2.0, Lazarus IDE v2.0.4
 Windows 10 Pro 32-GB
 Intel i7 770K CPU 4.2GHz 32702MB Ram
GeForce GTX 1080 Graphics - 8 Gig
4.1 TB

440bx

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2020, 07:09:34 pm »
I think MarkMLI is right.

That kind of information cannot be copyrighted, it's inherently public.  That said, the way the information is presented can, and is, subject to copyright.

IOW, don't copy the website (and the copy available to the public) ;)

(FPC v3.0.4 and Lazarus 1.8.2) or (FPC v3.2.2 and Lazarus v3.2) on Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

winni

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2020, 07:15:42 pm »
Hi!

It is a juristic case at the edge.

One the one hand the colleted data is public domain.
On the other hand the act of collecting data is a creative act and because of that protected by copyright. I would be careful.

Or get a domain from North Korea - they don't respect the international copyright laws ......

Winni

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2020, 11:27:29 pm »
Forget the niceties of dissecting various people's views on the possible legality or illegality of what is being proposed and simply ask Flightrader24 for permission to use the data in whatever way is intended.

If they say yes, go for it.

If they say no, be warned.

Simples.

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2020, 11:50:17 pm »
Forget the niceties of dissecting various people's views on the possible legality or illegality of what is being proposed and simply ask Flightrader24 for permission to use the data in whatever way is intended.

Some times its easier to ask for forgiveness then permission. My guess Flightrader24 would automatically respond 'no' even if they don't care and even if they don't think they have a case.

If its marginal and comes down to a definition of transitory and what data is actually theirs, the very worst you could expect, if they bothered to follow up, would be a letter demanding you stop this practice.

(its dangerous to take the advice of "bush lawyers" by the way)

Davo
Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

winni

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2020, 12:10:35 am »
Hi!

Sometimes reading helps. In their terms and conditions everything is describeb crystal clear:

Code: Text  [Select][+][-]
  1. 5. License
  3. Subject to your compliance with these Terms, we grant you a non-exclusive,
  4. non-transferable right to access and use the Services. Unless otherwise stated
  5. in these Terms, this right is granted for your personal, non-commercial use only.
  6. Permission is granted to temporarily download one copy of the materials (information or software) from the Services for personal, non-commercial transitory viewing only.
  7. This is the grant of a license, not a transfer of title, and under this license you may not:
  9.  Modify or copy the materials;
  10.     Use the materials for any commercial purpose, or for any public display (commercial or non-
  11.     commercial);
  12.     Attempt to decompile or reverse engineer any software contained on the Services;
  13.     Remove any copyright or other proprietary notations from the materials; or
  14.     Transfer the materials to another person or "mirror" the materials on any other server.
  16. This license and the right to access the Services shall automatically terminate if you
  17. violate any provision of these Terms. Upon the termination of this license, you must
  18. destroy any downloaded materials in your possession whether in electronic or printed format.
So why does this thread exist?

Winni
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:12:42 am by winni »

JLWest

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2020, 12:38:30 am »
@Winnie

I guess it exist because I posted the question.

I read the Notice and it dose not make sense to me. The info is posted in plain site but you can not copy it. So I can look at the data but can't COPY - that means write it down on a piece of paper or copy to notepad.

A lot of times they say it's copyrighted but in fact it's not, nor can it be. You know that little box you have to check to agree to terms for some downloads or software purchases that you won't give a friend a copy. Waste of time. All of that was dreamed up by Microsoft to slow down pirated software.

But in fact it was not enforceable in court on several levels. No way of knowing who checked the box or when they checked the box or even if the box was actually checked and was not a computer glitz. In addition Congress has not authorized a check in a box in lieu of of a signature.  No have the given Microsoft the authority to write laws.

So Yea, I posted the question, and FlightTrader24 could sue me, but they are only entitled for compensation for what they have lost in revenue. I'm not selling the data. I only use it for my own purposes personally.

In cases like this the awards usually are $1.00.

FPC 3.2.0, Lazarus IDE v2.0.4
 Windows 10 Pro 32-GB
 Intel i7 770K CPU 4.2GHz 32702MB Ram
GeForce GTX 1080 Graphics - 8 Gig
4.1 TB

winni

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2020, 12:43:43 am »
As I said: Reading helps:

Code: Text  [Select][+][-]
  1. 15. Governing Law and disputes
  3. Any claim relating to the Services shall be governed by the laws of Sweden without regard to its conflict of law provisions.
  5. All disputes arising out of or in connection with the present Agreement shall be finally settled by district courts of Sweden.

So happy holidays in Stockholm!

Winni

TinyPortal © 2005-2018