Recent

Author Topic: fpcupdeluxe  (Read 667 times)

krolikbest

fpcupdeluxe
« on: February 23, 2020, 09:31:07 am »
Hi,
 I would like to upgrade my installation of Lazarus on Windows. Now I have 1.8 version of Lazarus and 3.0.0 of Fpc. The best way would be to upgrade it without removing anything from my currently Lazarus directory - I mean about additional components I have and different configs for different platforms that I installed through a couple of years and so on.. Also it is not simply to make new installation/direcory and start over again. Or maybe you could give more convenient way to save my currently installation but upgrade it to higher version?

Regards

Otto

Re: fpcupdeluxe
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 09:51:43 am »
Hello krolikbest.

I recently installed Fpcupdeluxe on Windows 10 64bit with Lazarus 2.0.6, everything went well. Fpcupdeluxe creates a stand-alone installation, so you'll need to install the components you're interested in later.
___

Previously I had also updated Lazarus, sometimes I had minor problems with some components (which I then always solved). However, for safety, I always performed an HD BackUp before performing this procedure.

Otto.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 10:07:33 am by Otto »
Kind regards.

wp

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 11:14:07 am »
I think when you install a new version over the old one the old settings are kept (not 100% sure, though) unless you check the box in the installer to delete the old configuration settings. But of course it would be a good idea to rename the old version directory from, say, c:\lazarus to c:\lazarus-old, in order to keep it as a backup installation (just rename it back to have the old version again).

If your old installation was a "secondary installation" you should use the same name for config directory of the new installation.

After installation you will have to rebuild the IDE if you had installed additional components. For this purpose, go to "Tools" > "Configure Build Lazarus", check "Clean all" and "Switch after building to automatically", click "Build". After some time the IDE restart and you'll be ready to go.

Of course, these steps do not work when your additional components are installed in a subdirectory of the Lazarus installtion - sometimes, people recommend here to install third-party components in c:\lazarus\components. This is bad advice because it makes reinstallation of Lazarus unnecessarily complicated. Always install components out of the Lazarus installation folder.

krolikbest

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 12:20:14 pm »
Of course, these steps do not work when your additional components are installed in a subdirectory of the Lazarus installtion - sometimes, people recommend here to install third-party components in c:\lazarus\components. This is bad advice because it makes reinstallation of Lazarus unnecessarily complicated. Always install components out of the Lazarus installation folder.

It seems that I did in that way too (in order to keep order)... :)  I'll do second  instalation anyway and step by step will move all needed stuff there.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018