Recent

Author Topic: Samples new Lazarus icons files  (Read 1616 times)

AsleyCruz

• Graphic and web designer
Samples new Lazarus icons files
« on: February 23, 2020, 12:50:22 am »
Hi,
I'm new here and I think Lazarus is a great software. Liked it

And as a graphic designer, just wanted to share you a preview of the new icons just to identify the docs more easily (crazy).
Maybe I could share them later.

Best regards
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 12:56:13 am by AsleyCruz »
Graphic & web designer

440bx

Re: Samples new Lazarus icons files
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 02:22:18 am »
Very nice!
(FPC v3.0.4 and Lazarus 1.8.2) or (FPC v3.2.2 and Lazarus v3.2) on Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

dsiders

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 05:16:28 am »
On a related note...

Didn't someone contribute SVG files for a bunch of Lazarus icons? (Roland Hahn IIRC). And where did they go?
Preview Lazarus 3.99 documentation at: https://dsiders.gitlab.io/lazdocsnext

Roland57

• msegui.net
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 07:47:40 am »
My projects are on Gitlab and on Codeberg.

tatamata

• ZMSQL - SQL enhanced in-memory database
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 07:56:11 am »
On a related note...

Didn't someone contribute SVG files for a bunch of Lazarus icons? (Roland Hahn IIRC). And where did they go?

Maybe this: https://sourceforge.net/p/lazarus-ccr/svn/7007/tree/image_sources/lazarus/images/icons/svg%20(Roland%20Hahn)/

wp

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 12:04:28 pm »
These are very nice icons.

However, I see the issue that they expose too many details to be discernible at a size of 16x16. The texts "LPI" and "LPI" cannot be distinguished even on the forum page although they are rendered at 24x24 on a screenshot - but they must work also at 16x16. The paw in the package box looks nice at large magnification, but, again, at 16x16 there is only a black "something" inside the box.

Of course you are welcome to provide images to be used within Lazarus or third-party components when you think some images could be improved (and there are a lot). However, we are rather feature-complete at the moment. There were two authors who contributed to the current icon set, and if you look carefully you can distinguish them. Adding a third author could make things even more nonuniform. But that's just a guess. I just want to say that your drawing style should fit to the other icons (which it seems to do).

Let me give you instructions for the current IDE:
  • Since v1.8, the IDE is supporting images at various resolutions on the component palette, and since v2.0 in image lists. Ideally you should provide images at three sizes. The images intended for 96ppi are named simply like before, but image file names for 144 ppi (150%) must have an appended "_150" and images for 192 ppi (200%) must have an appended "_200". See the folder "images" in your lazarus installation as an example.
  • ATM the LCL does not support svg images. Nevertheless this may change some time in the future. Therefore, I urge you to provide svg images from which the final png icons can be exported. Note that rendering icons at 16x16 is a challenge. In order to get a crispy 16x16 image you probably must redesign the image for this particular size, so that, for examples, lines do not intersect the integer pixel boundaries and are blurred. See https://sourceforge.net/p/lazarus-ccr/svn/HEAD/tree/image_sources/ for the svg files currently used.
  • And the license: Since Lazarus is open source and we distribute the original icons in the installation your license should not be too restrictive.
Looking into the future, maybe we should provide different icon sets. People are always asking for a "dark mode", and I am rather sure that the current icons do not render appropriately on a dark background. Or the current icon style used by many operating systems is that simplistic line-drawn/flat style, the 3-D/artistic/realistic style with lots of gradients is out-of-fashion nowadays. Contributions into this direction would be welcome. But of course, replacing all the icons used by the IDE is a LOT of work. And of course also: nobody is working currently on such a feature, so maybe it is too early to contribute to such a project at the moment.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 12:22:07 pm »
The paw marks on the lids of the box are 2d, not 3d (they do not fold with the angles of the lids), but it looks very nice anyway. Great job!
Specialize a type, not a var.

dsiders

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 07:16:15 pm »
On a related note...

Maybe this: https://sourceforge.net/p/lazarus-ccr/svn/7007/tree/image_sources/lazarus/images/icons/svg%20(Roland%20Hahn)/

Thank you.

A bit curious that the SVG files are not included in the installed files in /images though.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 07:21:01 pm by dsiders »
Preview Lazarus 3.99 documentation at: https://dsiders.gitlab.io/lazdocsnext

AsleyCruz

• Graphic and web designer
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 07:22:41 pm »
On a related note...

It is perfect!!!
Graphic & web designer

wp

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 07:31:16 pm »
A bit curious that the SVG files are not included in the installed files in /images though.
They are not needed at the moment. Why bloat the distribution with something that is not used?

TinyPortal © 2005-2018