Recent

Author Topic: Installation: how does one create a Linux shortcut to Lazarus?  (Read 1325 times)

Sixthofmay

Installation: how does one create a Linux shortcut to Lazarus?
« on: February 22, 2020, 07:09:44 am »
I had no issue with Lazarus on Windows. Linux I can't get working due to a missing shortcut.
I installed v2.0.6-0 from the .deb installer provided here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/Lazarus%20Linux%20amd64%20DEB/Lazarus%202.0.6/

A desktop shortcut was not created. I searched DuckDuckGo with lazarus linux shortcut site:forum.lazarus.freepascal.org.

I found only an old thread with a reference to the following project (not updated in 3 years):
https://github.com/LongDirtyAnimAlf/Reiniero-fpcup
Is there a new Reiniero-fpcup style project?

I looked in all the usual places that the binary executable would be, but found nothing.

I installed fpc-src_3.0.4-2_amd64.deb (the missing dependency per GDebi) with Synaptic package manager.

The version of Lazarus via Synaptic is old so I installed lazarus-project_2.0.6-0_amd64.deb from the command line using the --force switch as GDebi refused to see FPC SRC 3.0.4 which Synaptic said was installed. No shortcut was created, so I'm stuck.

I didn't have any of these issues with Lazarus 1.6.2 on Linux Mint 17.3 (running on VMWare Player 4),

I'm running Linux Ubuntu 19.1 with Mate Desktop (Redmond) 64bit. This is the first distro I was able to install the latest Pale Moon on. It's running on VMWare Player 6 with 3GB allotted and 1 CPU (VMWare 15 would not work at all with Linux). System is HP Core2Duo 2.83GHz, 8GB RAM, Win7 SP1 64bit and not much installed.

Can someone guide me with creating a Lazarus shortcut?

munair

• compiler developer @SharpBASIC
    • SharpBASIC
Re: Installation: how does one create a Linux shortcut to Lazarus?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 08:09:04 am »
Can you not simply right-click on the desktop and choose the option 'Create Launcher' ? It's been years since I used Ubuntu or Mint, but if I remember correctly it was fairly easy to create a shortcut. You just need to know the location of the executable.

BTW, the latest Palemoon package is also available on Manjaro. It is in its repository from which it can be installed directly. But I do not recommend using this browser. Companies like Google are about to ban it and you will not be able to e.g. watch youtube vids with it anymore.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 08:27:14 am by Munair »
keep it simple

munair

• SharpBASIC
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 08:25:30 am »
Alternatively, if a Lazarus link exists in /usr/share/applications:

1. Launch Caja file manager.
2. Click on Computer.
3. Navigate to /usr/share/applications.
4. Find the icon of Lazarus. Select and copy it (ctrl+c).
5. In Caja's left pane, select Desktop.
6. Paste the link (ctrl+v).
7. Make sure the link is permitted to execute.
keep it simple

Sixthofmay

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 08:29:16 pm »
Munair,
Thank you for the location of the icon! However it appears my install from the console using the --force switch (install even though a dependency is missing) didn't work as the icon is missing.

I think I see what's wrong, but I don't know how to fix it. The missing package is named "fpc-src", but what was installed with Synaptic Package Manager is named "fpc-source". I believe this is the root cause of the issue. Someone has renamed "fpc-src" to "fpc-source".

I see no way to rename the package with Synaptic Package Manager to "fpc-src". Maybe it's possible to rename the package being looked for in the lazarus-project 2.0.6-0 amd64.deb file.

munair

• SharpBASIC
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 08:56:44 pm »
You cannot and shouldn't rename packages. Either you install the Lazarus from Synaptic with all its dependencies (this includes fpc and fpc-source), or you install the most recent version from the website: https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/Lazarus%20Linux%20amd64%20DEB/Lazarus%202.0.6/

If you install the packages from the website, then install all three of them, first fpc-src, then fpc-laz and finally lazarus-project. But make sure you have uninstalled any previous version.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 08:58:25 pm by Munair »
keep it simple

TheLastCayen

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 06:01:07 am »
Hi,
I also had issues before installing lazarus with debian base distribution. The problem usually occurs when you try to install the one that comes with your distribution first and then try to upgrade to the last one. I learn the hard way ubuntu base distribution don't uninstall fpc properly.

I type those line from memory so they may need few tweak but if I remember

First clean uninstall lazarus
Code: Bash  [Select][+][-]
  1. sudo apt-get purge lazarus*
  2. sudo apt-get purge fpc*
  3. sudo apt-get autoremove

Then install the packages you downloaded in this order
Code: Bash  [Select][+][-]
  1. sudo dpkg -i fpc-src_3.0.4-2_amd64.deb
  2. sudo dpkg -i fpc-laz_3.0.4-1_amd64.deb
  3. sudo dpkg -i lazarus-project_2.0.6-0_amd64.deb

Sixthofmay

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 08:56:03 am »
TheLastCayen,
THANK YOU! That worked! I followed your instructions exactly and the icon appeared in the /usr/share/applications and I copied it to my desktop. I did a fresh download of the files from:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/Lazarus%20Linux%20amd64%20DEB/Lazarus%202.0.6/
Many thanks!

munair

• SharpBASIC
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 11:01:05 am »
Glad to hear you got it running!
keep it simple

TheLastCayen

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 10:32:25 pm »
Nice, I am happy it worked. Long time since I had to deal with that:)

Enjoy programming in Linux:)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018