Recent

Author Topic: Is lazarus dead again?  (Read 2720 times)

jacobite2020

Is lazarus dead again?
« on: February 22, 2020, 12:50:28 am »
Just wondering if Python is the way to go.
String handling, Right to left laungage handling on UTF-8 is much more efficient.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Shall await the rebuttal, am asking honestly folks.

Thanks,
Jac

winni

Re: Is lazarus dead again?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 01:46:18 am »
Yes, it is dead.

That's why it is called Lazarus.

jamie

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 02:11:57 am »
String handling, Right to left laungage handling on UTF-8 is much more efficient.

Shall await the rebuttal, am asking honestly folks.

Thanks,
Jac

Python LOL

A want a be coders language..

More like a pumped up script engine..
The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing

PaulRowntree

• Paul Rowntree
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 02:21:59 am »
Probably would have something to do with what you want to do, and your familiarity with the tools  I pull out a calculator to do arithmetic, even though Laz/FP can do it.  Anything more complicated, or that needs longevity, Laz/FP is my goto toolchain.
Horses for courses.
Paul Rowntree
- coding for instrument control, data acquisition & analysis, CNC systems

Laksen

• J-Software
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 02:38:00 am »
I'll take flame bait. Lazarus is never dead. Only thing that keeps me sane

Python code has a tendency to break overnight even if you seemingly didn't change anything. And don't get me started on charset handling in python2 that a lot of tools still depend on. One good example is the waf build system that's basically unworkable trash

Python 3 will fix a lot of stuff surely but it's really late to the party. The python 2 to 3 conversion took exactly 10 years too long proving that you should have no confidence in Guido for anything.

Python is a great language if all you write is trash

GAN

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 03:05:47 am »
Do not mix apples with oranges. Python is an interpreted language.
And not feed the troll.
Lazarus 2.0.8 FPC 3.0.4 Linux Mint Mate 19.3
Zeos 7̶.̶2̶.̶6̶ 7.1.3a-stable - Sqlite 3.32.3 - LazReport

Thaddy

• Sensorship about opinions does not belong here.
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 10:23:39 am »
@GAN
Python is a convenient glue to use real implementations in compiled languages. I like it a lot for that reason.
Also note Python -with some restrictions - can actually be compiled into native code.
After correcting this misconception: a fully native language like FreePascal has the potential to outperform languages like Python, but that is not a given fact.

Anyway, I like FreePascal and I like Python and use them both..  Also note the subject is a bit muddy, since the FreePascal back-ends like Java and pas2js..... to name just two...and bindings for Python and the other way around.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 10:27:50 am by Thaddy »
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

Otto

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 11:16:03 am »
@ jacobite2020

However I also believe that it is more correct to compare python with FPC than to compare python with Lazzarus.

Otto.
Kind regards.

Otto

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 11:21:41 am »
@ Thaddy

Is something similar to IronPython planned in Lazarus' development plan?
In the sense of something that can compile sources written in languages other than the FPC that can produce a single deployable file. It would also be fine if you were to distribute a pre-compiled library in addition to the compiled project file.

Otto.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 11:36:29 am by Otto »
Kind regards.

del

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 12:30:26 pm »
No. It's not dead. I'm using it as we speak. String handling is child's play. Lazarus is for building GUI's. But if you don't even know Python I would suggest you start there. At least you can put it on your resume. Everybody else does.

Thaddy

• Sensorship about opinions does not belong here.
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 01:34:38 pm »
@ jacobite2020

However I also believe that it is more correct to compare python with FPC than to compare python with Lazzarus.

Otto.
That is also a bit shortsighted: Lazarus is just a set of features built on top of  FreePascal. I don't see why you can't built the same using Python. (efforts in that direction have been made, btw)
It can - in principle - be done with any language. It is just that Delphi and FreePascal/Lazarus are miles ahead, even after 25 years....
 (to be specific: they are two way tools, changes in code reflect GUI and changes in GUI reflect code as well)
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2020, 01:56:22 pm »

The rest of your argument? Misspelled incendiary and low-effort attempt by a first poster, if there is not a good follow up real soon this thread will be removed.

440bx

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2020, 02:05:57 pm »
... if there is not a good follow up real soon this thread will be removed.
Now, that's the way to go. :)
(FPC v3.0.4 and Lazarus 1.8.2) or (FPC v3.2.2 and Lazarus v3.2) on Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

simone

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2020, 02:22:00 pm »
I suspect this is the same troll with a different nickname, which occasionally appears during the weekend ... I would be curious to see the IP addresses in the web server logs to confirm my hypothesis.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 02:27:25 pm by simone »
Microsoft Windows 10 64 bit - Lazarus 3.0 FPC 3.2.2 x86_64-win64-win32/win64

Otto

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2020, 02:37:20 pm »
@ Thaddy

Hello Thaddy.
Probably, in the previous post, I had expressed myself badly (I'm not native English speakers). The comment was aimed at jacobite2020 and in a sense in line with that of GAN.
Surely you're right: FPC and Lazarus are intimately linked. The development of one influences the development of the other.

Code: [Select]
Salve Thaddy.
Probabilmente, nel precedente post, mi ero espresso male (non sono madrelingua inglese). Il commento era rivolto a jacobite2020 ed in un certo senso in linea a quello di GAN.
Sicuramente hai ragione: FPC e Lazarus sono intimamente legati. Lo sviluppo dell’uno influenza lo sviluppo dell’altro.

Otto.
Kind regards.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018