Recent

Author Topic: LHelp crash (Mojave)  (Read 1564 times)

rufusROFLpunch

LHelp crash (Mojave)
« on: February 17, 2020, 06:29:54 pm »
I've been attemping to get help working. I've installed the help files (both the manual method and through fpcupdeluxe). The IDE seems to be working fine otherwise, but when I attempt to load the online help the LHelp application goes into a spinning wheel of death and after a few seconds Lazarus crashes completely.

Here are the relevant lines from the logs.

Info: (lazarus) Execute Title="- Building lhelp -"
Info: (lazarus) Working Directory="/Users/rbreen/fpc/lazarus/components/chmhelp/lhelp/"
Info: (lazarus) Executable="/Users/rbreen/fpc/lazarus/lazbuild"
Info: (lazarus) Param[0]="--ws=cocoa"
Info: (lazarus) Param[1]="--pcp=/Users/rbreen/fpc/config_lazarus"
Info: (lazarus) Param[2]="/Users/rbreen/fpc/lazarus/components/chmhelp/lhelp/lhelp.lpi"
TChmHelpViewer.ShowNode Filename="lcl.chm" SearchPath="/Users/rbreen/fpc/lazarus/docs/chm;/Users/rbreen/fpc/lazarus/docs/html;/Users/rbreen/fpc/lazarus/docs/html/lcl" Found="/Users/rbreen/fpc/lazarus/docs/chm/lcl.chm"
TLHelpConnection.StartHelpServer /Users/rbreen/fpc/lazarus//components/chmhelp/lhelp/lhelp.app
TLHelpConnection.StartHelpServer: going to start help server by executing /usr/bin/open -n /Users/rbreen/fpc/lazarus//components/chmhelp/lhelp/lhelp.app --args --ipcname lazhelp73659
LHelpControl: WaitForMsgResponse: hit timeout (10 seconds)

Anyone have any clues about how to resolve this?

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
Re: LHelp crash (Mojave)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 09:00:23 am »
Do you actually have the lazarus .chm help files? My /Users/trev/lazarus-src/docs/chm directory is empty.

I moved in to the /Users/trev/lazarus-src/docs/html directory and found a script to compile a Lazarus program to generate the .chm files. The script fails with:

Code: [Select]
Error: (lazarus) invalid Lazarus directory "/Developer/lazarus/": directory not found
Error: (lazarus) Building failed: build_lcl_docs.lpi

So I opened the project in Lazarus and successfully compiled build_lcl_docs. Unfortunately though, running build_lcl_docs generates... an error:

Code: [Select]
FPDoc - Free Pascal Documentation Tool
Version 3.3.1 [2019/10/22]
(c) 2000 - 2003 Areca Systems GmbH / Sebastian Guenther, sg@freepascal.org
(c) 2005 - 2012 various FPC contributors

Exception at 000000010008796C: EInOutError:
File not found: ../../chm/rtl.xct.
10 Warnings hidden. Use --warnings to see them all.
An unhandled exception occurred at $00000001000047C4:
Exception: File not found: /Users/trev/lazarus-src/docs/html/lazutils/lazutils.xct
  $00000001000047C4
  $0000000100004960

1. The directory ../../chm/ does not exist.
2. The file rtl.xct dies not exist anywhere on my system (Lazarus trunk).
3. The directory /Users/trev/lazarus-src/docs/html/lazutils/ does exist but contains only:
   * fpdoc.css
   * inputfile.txt

Hmmmm.

BTW, LHelp opens my own .chm Windows help files without an issue.

[UPDATE]

I eventually found pre-generated help files in chm format at: https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/Lazarus%20Documentation/Lazarus%202.0.6/
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 09:04:54 am by trev »

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 09:16:22 am »
Apart from some issues with missing index files resulting in tabs with the name [Unknown] (see attached image), the context sensitive help actually works quite well with F1 under Mojave.

[Update]

Just a small issue: Exiting from help causes an access violation. See second attached image.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 09:21:30 am by trev »

rufusROFLpunch

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 04:30:14 pm »
I do actually have the CHM files in that folder. I manually installed them. The issue seems to be when it starts the help server. It's waiting for a response from IPC which it never gets, apparently.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018