Recent

Author Topic: Problem installing Indy 10.2.0.3  (Read 40397 times)

Prime

Problem installing Indy 10.2.0.3
« on: January 11, 2008, 03:39:40 pm »
Hi,

I'm trying to install Indy 10.2.0.3 on the Lazarus 0.9.24 beta and am running into the following problem, I open indylaz.lpk and hit compile, the compile stops with the error :-

E:\LazLibs\indy-10.2.0.3\lazarus\IdDsnCoreResourceStrings.pas(76,12) Fatal: Can't find unit IdGlobal used by IdAboutVCL

The cursor is positioned between the following lines in IdDsnResourceStrings :-

RSAAboutKitchenSink = IndyPitCrew+#10#13+'present the'#10#13'Kitchen Sink';

{Binding Editor stuff}

Which seems strange.

Instalation is as follows :-

Lazarus 0.9.24 beta from lazarus download page, Indy 10.2.0.3  from Lazarus port page on Indy site.

Lazarus is installed in c:\Lazarus, indy in e:\LazLib\indy-10.2.3  OS is Windows 2003 SP2, I will also try on Windows XP SP2.

Anyone know what the problem is ?

Cheers.

Phill.

Phil

Re: Problem installing Indy 10.2.0.3
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 01:29:54 am »
Quote from: "Prime"
Anyone know what the problem is ?

Hi Phil,

Offhand it looks like Lazarus can't find the IdGlobal.pas unit, which is in Indy's fpc folder, not its lazarus folder where indylaz.lpk is. Also, the error message does seem to indicate that the compiler is confused about where it is.

Have you tried installing it in one of the more recent Lazarus 0.9.25 snapshots to see if it's something that's been fixed since your 0.9.24.

You could also try compiling indylaz.lpk with the lazbuild program from the command line. That won't install it in the IDE but at least you would then have compiled units. I use Indy but I don't install it in the IDE.

Thanks.

-Phil

leiteiro

Problem installing Indy 10.2.0.3
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 04:57:43 pm »
In package of indy window,
click on button "Compiler Options",
and in Paths tab in Other Unit File (-Fu)
insert "..\ftp\"
Then compile

Teo

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 10:35:04 pm »
Confirm: this works on both Suze11 and Ubuntu.

picstart

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 09:49:01 am »
It is possible to work around this issue but you have to be aware of what you wish for. Indy will swamp the lazarus IDE with components. It has enough icons to make iconoclasts out of icon lovers. After installing I removed it as it was to bloated to be useful. I'm hoping lnet will be fixed so its lpk can install in 28.2.

andrew_answer

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 06:32:45 pm »
1. Download Indy from http://www.indyproject.org/Sockets/fpc/indy-10.2.0.3.zip

2. Open lazarus\indylaz.lpk via Open package... (*.lpk)

3. Go to Params\Paths (-Fu) and put line

..\fpc

into textinput.

4. Click OK, then Use - Install.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:37:36 pm by andrew_answer »

Dorbah

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 10:04:38 pm »
..\fpc;..\lazarus
and in Other source files (.pp/.pas files) and put line
..\fpc;..\lazarus
into textinput.
4. Click OK, then Use - Install.

christensen

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 11:04:56 pm »
Today i faced this issue with indy-10.2.0.3 and i've solved like this:

..\fpc;..\lazarus

Thanks
Lazarus 1.4.4, FPC 2.6.4, Windows 7 64bit, AMD Athlon 7750 black edition, Asus M3N78-CM
Lenovo L540 i7-4702MQ, Windows 10 x64,Lazarus 1.6.2,FPC 3.0

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 12:25:29 am »
Again, what is the obsession with "installing components into the IDE" - why not simply instantiate the class you need in code and use it as normal. No IDE install issues to worry about at all. With  Lazarus IDE, MSEide, Maximus all supporting path macros, setting up flexible source paths has never been so easy, so you don't even need Lazarus Packages any more.

On a side note: I'm using the latest Indy 10 directly from their code repository with FPC 3.0 under FreeBSD - granted I didn't install it into Lazarus IDE (as I never do with any components I use), so I don't know if there are install issues or not. But I can say that Indy (from SVN) works perfectly out of the box.

Indy SVN:  https://svn.atozed.com:444/svn/Indy10/trunk

ps:
  Indy 10.2.0.3 is rather old. I believe the latest version is now at v10.6.2.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:42:04 am by Graeme »
--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

HatForCat

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 04:58:49 pm »
Again, what is the obsession with "installing components into the IDE" - why not simply instantiate the class you need in code and use it as normal.

I guess some chest thumping is OK, but assuming everyone knows how to do that, is not. ;)

Sooo, how about a step-by-step in how to use packages without installing them if it such a lamentable thought to install them instead?
Acer-i5, 2.6GHz, 6GB, 500GB-SSD, Mint-19.3, Cinnamon Desktop, Lazarus 2.0.6, SQLite3

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 01:50:55 am »
I guess some chest thumping is OK, but assuming everyone knows how to do that, is not. ;)
It's got nothing to do with chest thumping. ;-)  Think about what happens when you drop a component on a a form. The Form Designer addes a field variable of a specific type. It probably adds a new unit in the uses clause. It adds the "creation" code inside the *.lfm file.

Defining and instantiating a class manually does exactly the same as what the form designer does. The "creation" code is simply not in the *.lfm file, but rather somewhere in the .pas file.

Sooo, how about a step-by-step in how to use packages without installing them if it such a lamentable thought to install them instead?
This was discussed so many times before. Take a look at the following link. It shows a fully working code example, instantiating a FTP Client instance and retrieves a directory listing from the FTP server.

http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,31142.msg199478.html#msg199478
--

snorkel

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 07:09:09 am »
Again, what is the obsession with "installing components into the IDE" - why not simply instantiate the class you need in code and use it as normal. No IDE install issues to worry about at all. With  Lazarus IDE, MSEide, Maximus all supporting path macros, setting up flexible source paths has never been so easy, so you don't even need Lazarus Packages any more.

On a side note: I'm using the latest Indy 10 directly from their code repository with FPC 3.0 under FreeBSD - granted I didn't install it into Lazarus IDE (as I never do with any components I use), so I don't know if there are install issues or not. But I can say that Indy (from SVN) works perfectly out of the box.

Indy SVN:  https://svn.atozed.com:444/svn/Indy10/trunk

ps:
  Indy 10.2.0.3 is rather old. I believe the latest version is now at v10.6.2.

I just installed 10.6.2 into Lazarus 1.6 rc2 using the package and it worked fine, only issue was the paths need to be tweaked in the package and for some reason you need to have all the paths in your project as well.  It's just nice having them installed in the IDE.  I know you can just create what you need, but having them in the pallet does simplify creating the event handlers etc..
Not a huge deal if you have to do it all manually though.
***Snorkel***
If I forget, I always use the latest stable 32bit version of Lazarus and FPC. At the time of this signature that is Laz 3.0RC2 and FPC 3.2.2

balazsszekely

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 07:24:47 am »
@snorkel
I just installed 10.6.2 into Lazarus 1.6 rc2 using the package and it worked fine
There are still some unresolved issues with indy 10.6.2, regardless if you install in the IDE or not. For example add IdSync to the uses clauses and try to compile/build a project, it will fail. Why you need IdSync? To update the GUI from inside a thread. It's a very important unit for Client/Server applications. The only fix I find so far is to copy all units in a single directory. This way everything works as it should.

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 11:16:41 am »
There are still some unresolved issues with indy 10.6.2, regardless if you install in the IDE or not. For example add IdSync to the uses clauses and try to compile/build a project, it will fail.

Please see the comments in the Mantis report: bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=29564

The problem is not with FPC and not with Indy. The issue is Lazarus IDE and Lazarus Packages. The indylaz.lpk is simply a reliable and reproducable example of the Lazarus IDE problem.

Plus I just tried your example of including IdSync in a project, with many other Indy units. The project doesn't use indylaz.lpk, but rather specifies the unit and include paths manually in the project (in fact I used MSEide to manage my project). I cleaned out all previous compiled units, and I managed to compile my project in one pass - no compilation errors at all. See attached file that shows my compiler output. The IdSync is compiled at line 607.

So again, the problem is not with Indy, but with Lazarus IDE.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 11:19:45 am by Graeme »
--

balazsszekely

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 12:15:28 pm »
Please see the comments in the Mantis report: bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=29564
Did you see Sven's comment?

So again, the problem is not with Indy, but with Lazarus IDE.
I compiled and installed many lazarus package before and I never encountered this strange behaviour. By the way, if I add IdSync to indylaz.lpk everything works fine, so I find it hard to believe, this is a Lazarus IDE and Lazarus Packages issue. Even if it is a lazarus package issue, still need to be fixed, most of us works with lazarus not MSEide.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018