Recent

Author Topic: Manjaro - Installing WinFF from AUR pulls FPC+Lazarus as dependencies  (Read 1200 times)

Zvoni

Hi Folks,
wasn't sure if here is the right place for it.

And yes, i'm aware that it's not our job (or the admin's here) to "remote"-maintain the repos of (any) distribution.

The reason for my post:
I was setting up my second laptop with Manjaro/Gnome as my multimedia-machine, so no FPC/Lazarus on it.

Color me surprised, when i wanted to install WinFF from AUR, and the Package-Manager showed me, it wanted to pull FPC and Lazarus as dependencies for WinFF.

Yes, i know, that "packages" from AUR come as source-code and is compiled "ad loco", but shouldn't in that case FPC be enough?

I looked on github for WinFF, and there was the building instruction "LazBuild something".
Huh?
I repeat: I'm aware that it's not our job, but the job of the repo-maintainers to clean up their act, but for a Manjaro-User, that has no connection whatsoever to FPC/Lazarus, it might leave a sour taste in their mouth along the lines of "Huh? I just want to install WinFF, and i'm getting a complete IDE alongside?"

Maybe someone here is a member of a Manjaro-Forum/Mailing-List (because i'm not), and could give them (better said: the maintainer of the AUR-Package) some help/hints, how to slim down the installation-process?
I was always under the impression, that you could compile Lazarus-GUI-apps with just the FPC-compiler.
One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
Re: Manjaro - Installing WinFF from AUR pulls FPC+Lazarus as dependencies
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 10:07:20 am »
I was always under the impression, that you could compile Lazarus-GUI-apps with just the FPC-compiler.

But a GUI application nevertheless requires the LCL's units and those are only provided by the Lazarus package.

On Arch I usually use pikaur as AUR wrapper and that removes build dependencies again after a package was built (unless the package was already installed of course).

Zvoni

Re: Manjaro - Installing WinFF from AUR pulls FPC+Lazarus as dependencies
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 11:43:15 am »
But a GUI application nevertheless requires the LCL's units and those are only provided by the Lazarus package.
Damn. I knew i was missing something vital!
So back to square one, as long as WinFF remains in AUR.
OK, Topic closed!
One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

TinyPortal © 2005-2018