Forum > Documentation (Maintaining -)

Tutorial page web/wiki

<< < (6/7) > >>

Zath:
Nice idea and nice list Handoko.

I would certainly use such a resource.
It doesn't have to be perfect from day one, it can be an evolving resource.

You could then have a separate section here devoted to questions about using the code on the resource. Users refer to the example/code/app number and then state their question.
This would remove some of the randomness of questions throughout the sections.

Great work people.

nouzi:
thanks @Handoko
thanks @Trev
very good

dbannon:
Very well done Trev.

I note you say "that have been posted on the Free Pascal and Lazarus Forums".  Is it your intention that that particular Portal list only forum content ?

For example, kapibara's TChart demo is mentioned under the Tutorials category, there is some cross over between Portals and Categories and new (or old) users may not see structure. Fortunately you mention several relevant categories on the new Portal page  so new users can see the full range.

I wonder, if its a Forum only Portal, would it be better to include the word 'Forum' in the title ?

Davo

trev:

--- Quote from: dbannon on March 08, 2020, 11:40:24 pm ---I note you say "that have been posted on the Free Pascal and Lazarus Forums".  Is it your intention that that particular Portal list only forum content ?

--- End quote ---

Yes, that was the intention as per Handoko's original post.

--- Quote ---For example, kapibara's TChart demo is mentioned under the Tutorials category, there is some cross over between Portals and Categories and new (or old) users may not see structure. Fortunately you mention several relevant categories on the new Portal page  so new users can see the full range.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I quite deliberately mentioned the Code, Code Snippets, Example programs and Tutorials categories so that anyone who reaches the HowTo Demos page can discover them too.

--- Quote ---I wonder, if its a Forum only Portal, would it be better to include the word 'Forum' in the title ?

--- End quote ---

Been there, done that :) I originally had Forum in the title, but as time went by it didn't seem quite right somehow and so I settled on the current name. Given the number of Wiki labourers, I'm not too worried about the floodgates being opened to non-Forum demos or having to police that eventuality.

In other news, the various platform and topic portals will soon be appearing on the Wiki's main page to make it a lot easier for users, new and old, to:

* see more of what's available in the Wiki;
* locate Wiki information more easily;
* encourage new contributors and contributions to the Wiki.

The Linux and Windows Portals could do with some love as could the Linux Programming Tips and Windows Programmng Tips pages. Hint, hint  ;D

dbannon:

--- Quote from: trev on March 09, 2020, 12:25:25 am ---Been there, done that :) I originally had Forum in the title, but as time went by it didn't seem quite right somehow .....

--- End quote ---

Your call, you have put the effort in.

--- Quote ---In other news, the various platform and topic portals will soon be appearing on the Wiki's main page to make it a lot easier ....

--- End quote ---

Main page ?  good, as long as it keeps it reasonably short.  The Documentation page is far too long and not organized in a new user focus.  The links they need are certainly there but they are unlikely to find them.  Whats needed is a "New User Start Here" that takes them to a small number of beginner suitable tutorials.

--- Quote ---The Linux and Windows Portals could do with some love as could the Linux Programming Tips and Windows Programmng Tips pages. Hint, hint  ;D

--- End quote ---

Yeah, probably. I don't tend to focus on platform specific pages, my code is cross platform so, when I hack into a wiki page (except the Installing pages I've done) I tend to write platform agnostic content with embedded notes about platform idiosyncrasies if necessary.

I have spent a fair bit of time following various links from the examples and Tutorials pages, have learnt heaps !  But notice a lot of out of date comments.  Things like "If using the current Lazarus which is  0.9.2, ...." - In a lot of cases, the content is still correct but the message to new user is neglect.  Sigh ....

Anyway, love the job you, Trev and Handoko have done here. A real step forward.

Davo 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version