Recent

Author Topic: Nonpersistent block behavor  (Read 3839 times)

EmperorOfKeyboard

• That is why people who are afraid to look inside t
Nonpersistent block behavor
« on: January 25, 2020, 01:47:03 pm »
I searched and not find nothing on first (from 63 total) forum pages.

I assume that frepascal IDE must copy behavor from ancient TurboRascal, but.
I is totally frustated becos blocks are not deleted. :(
When I used QBasic, I get used to if you select something and press Del, then block deleted fully. (And such behavor continues in all windows.) Please add such option: when non-persistent blocks selected, may be also checked something "delete blocks".
I so smart almos smart as you, but i also cute.

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
Re: Nonpersistent block behavor
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 02:57:17 pm »
Hello EmperorOfKeyboard,
Welcome to the forum.

I'm using Lazarus IDE default setting and I never experience the behavior as you mentioned. Maybe you accidentally change the setting:
Lazarus main menu > Tools > Options > General > Tab and Indent > Persistent block

I thought OP's post was about Lazarus IDE.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 04:01:16 pm by Handoko »

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 03:14:18 pm »
"frepascal IDE"
Is this about the Lazarus IDE, or the fp-ide (command line ide)?

Because you posted this in the sub-forum "Using the Lazarus IDE".

A "Persistent Block" in the Lazarus IDE is not deleted by the del key. There is no option in Lazarus for this. But you can easily write a macro https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Editor_Macros_PascalScript and assign it to the del key. The macro can check for selection and do whatever you want to happen.

EmperorOfKeyboard

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 03:32:27 pm »
"frepascal IDE"
Is this about the Lazarus IDE, or the fp-ide (command line ide)?

Because you posted this in the sub-forum "Using the Lazarus IDE".

A "Persistent Block" in the Lazarus IDE is not deleted by the del key. There is no option in Lazarus for this. But you can easily write a macro https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Editor_Macros_PascalScript and assign it to the del key. The macro can check for selection and do whatever you want to happen.
Of corse. Sorry, I saw this section in search and unatentivly posted here.
Please move if you can.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 03:40:51 pm »
Moved

EmperorOfKeyboard

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 04:21:38 pm »
Also in fullscreen mode mouse rather strong sticks to bottom and right, but windowed mode solves.

lucamar

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 05:00:59 pm »
When I used QBasic, I get used to if you select something and press Del, then block deleted fully. (And such behavor continues in all windows.) Please add such option: when non-persistent blocks selected, may be also checked something "delete blocks".

That's also the behaviour of the FP (and TP) IDE with one small diffference: the Del key by itself only deletes a single character to the right; to delete a selected block (no matter whether persistent or not) you have to press Ctrl+Del ("delete selection").

Part of that is due to being built (or mimic one which was built) on an era where "normal" text operations and "block" (or "selection") operations were considered to be kind of different "editing modes", the canonical example being WordStar. Microsoft, as almost always, ignored all that and just invented their own way to do things, which they then called the "standard" way ::)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 05:04:50 pm by lucamar »
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

EmperorOfKeyboard

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 05:52:44 pm »
Part of that is due to being built (or mimic one which was built) on an era where "normal" text operations and "block" (or "selection") operations were considered to be kind of different "editing modes", the canonical example being WordStar. Microsoft, as almost always, ignored all that and just invented their own way to do things, which they then called the "standard" way ::)
Thank you, I just not familiar. At least there is a key. I know that Ctrl-End places cursor at the last line of WINDOW, and to go to the end of TEXT, you must press Ctrl-PgDn. Same with Home and PgUp.
Old techniques is not bad, but Scroll Lock... Is there speedrun of old terminals with Scroll Lock? I usually win games on youtube. :D I know that Scroll Lock worked hundreds years ago, maybe on terminals, which were conected to mainframes. Maybe better would be if Scroll Lock still working and Caps not, but some Linux users use Caps Lock to swich keyboard layout.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018