Recent

Author Topic: RAD IDE  (Read 937 times)

lawman

RAD IDE
« on: January 22, 2020, 09:35:15 pm »
I'm just wondering why...

C++ has soooo much userbase...

but I can't find any free decent RAD IDE for C++ like Lazarus that has GUI and Database components built in??

I've found CodeBlocks C++ which has gui components with wxwidgets, but Lazarus has so much more to make it RAD.

Just find it weird as Lazarus / FPC userbase is a small fraction of C++ userbase.

I've searched everywhere and checked out Ultimate++, Codelite, Codeblocks and a range of others... but Lazarus still seems so much easier to use, like Visual Basic RAD IDE was in the old days.

Am I missing something?

Please advise.   

Thanks

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
Re: RAD IDE
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 09:43:16 pm »
Am I missing something?
...a few deep pocket corporates and a several decades of active development tool promotion. (specifically the language).

IF Lazarus is too support other languages, specifically on the level of code tools - meaning intelligent understanding of the code, then it could grow the popularity by itself. (not necessary the pascal language)

Most of Lazarus IDE users are Pascal developers, and either don't need to develop a language plugin for the IDE or are using different IDE's for other languages.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 09:45:15 pm by skalogryz »
Patron Cocoa Widgetset development https://www.patreon.com/skalogryz

marcov

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 09:59:31 pm »
I'm just wondering why...

C++ has soooo much userbase...

but I can't find any free decent RAD IDE for C++ like Lazarus that has GUI and Database components built in??

Well the only logical conclusion of course is that C++ programmers are lazy :-)

lucamar

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 10:05:25 pm »

Or the other way around: Pascal programmers have become so lazy that we require full-fledged, advanced IDEs like Lazarus and Delphi ;D :D

Of course, at some point that becomes a "chicken and egg" problem :D :D :D
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus 2.0.4/2.0.6  - FPC 3.0.4 on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

marcov

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 10:20:53 pm »

Or the other way around: Pascal programmers have become so lazy that we require full-fledged, advanced IDEs like Lazarus and Delphi ;D :D

Of course, at some point that becomes a "chicken and egg" problem :D :D :D

If that so, C++ users would stodgily refuse to use VIM because it is too advanced and gotten to bloated and stick to ED. That's not the case. Many C++ IDEs exist, but the integration beyond code editing, navigation is usually poor, and design is even less, staying fancy editors and not much else.

I don't really know why there is not something equivalent.

Some problems are inherently C++, like the need for complex project management since you need more than " CC mainfile" to compile a C++ project. Some are that the free C/C++ compilers are tied to Unix, and thus are often tied to Unixy environments like cygwin and mingw on majority target Windows.

And Windows centric C++ users simply use free VS that allows you to deploy free GUI applications (contrary to Delphi that costs several thousands and the free version of which has license restrictions and is sometimes complex to get)

And to succeed you really need to keep all the noses pointed in the same direction. People always rant on this forum about delphi compatibility, but I think having an example that large groups of people looked up to  was a really major, major factor (and TP compatibility before it)

And of course ONE whole Pascal RAD in 25 years might just be a statistical anomaly
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 10:29:08 pm by marcov »

Bart

• Bart en Mariska's Webstek
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 10:35:49 pm »
And of course ONE whole Pascal RAD in 25 years might just be a statistical anomaly

:) :) :)

Bart

ASBzone

• Automation leads to relaxation...
    • BrainWaveCC Utilities
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 12:53:30 am »
I've searched everywhere and checked out Ultimate++, Codelite, Codeblocks and a range of others... but Lazarus still seems so much easier to use, like Visual Basic RAD IDE was in the old days.

Am I missing something?

Tools made by the community, for the community.  There's something to be said for this.

Having deep pockets is great for getting something out there, and commanding mindshare, but if there isn't a corresponding vision by people who strongly desire to use the resulting end product, then it doesn't necessarily lead to a better product.  A more popular one, perhaps, but not necessarily better.

The other advantage is that when Delphi was released, it was lightyears better than other products and rapid design and rapid prototyping.   I don't think that this edge has really been lost for ObjectPascal since that time.    Other tools have focused on other strengths...

-ASB: https://www.BrainWaveCC.com

Lazarus v2.0.7 r62618 / FPC v3.2.0-beta-r44160 (via FpcUpDeluxe) -- Windows 64-bit install w/32-bit cross-compile
Primary System: Windows 10 Pro x64, Version 1909 (Build 18363.657)
Other Systems: Windows 10 Pro x64, Version 1909 or greater