Recent

Author Topic: [CLOSED] What is the Pascal convention?  (Read 9089 times)

guest65109

Re: [CLOSED] What is the Pascal convention?
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2020, 04:33:05 pm »
I think ssh does work on BSDs, am I right? :)

I believe so, but mouse support (libgpm) possibly doesn't- particularly remotely.

MarkMLl

So it's because of that sh*t library caused mouse to not work on the text mode IDE? As I know the curses part would have no problems.

guest65109

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2020, 04:37:23 pm »
I'm using the Free Pascal text IDE. Glad that it also works on Linux. But on systems other than Linux and Windows, it's broke. It seemed it's some issues with curses so mouse click will not work under the terminal emulator.

Frankly, no one care about the text mode IDE at all because everything now focus on the superior Lazarus IDE. I hope the text mode IDE should get more attention.

A bit. After Lazarus matured in 2007-2008 new development for the textmode IDE petered out. But that was also a bit because the few devels doing it simply lost steam. Peter left FPC, and Pierre is still there, but doesn't work on Lazarus.

I from time to time also tried to further it (e.g. replacing the helpsystem with the CHM based system), but realized that  the textmode IDE has a hopelessly dated design ( copy of something early nineties pieced together from clones):
  • Turbo Pascal (not Delphi) object model
  • Turbo Pascal (not Delphi) string support (255 chars max)
  • no unicode
  • TUI entirely managed in code, no designer, hard to maintain
  • Streaming also manual. No RTTI

So basically if you really want to further it, you need to start over and bring the textmode system to Delphi technology (late nineties).

And yes, the sad state of *nix consoles (difficult to program, variable, underdocumented) doesn't help either.

The textmode IDE always has worked best with XTerm.

Thanks for let us know. Then I would not waste my time with the text mode IDE. I will use Geany and invoke the fpc compiler to compile my code.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2020, 04:59:04 pm »
I think ssh does work on BSDs, am I right? :)

I believe so, but mouse support (libgpm) possibly doesn't- particularly remotely.

gpm is Linux only. BSD use moused.

Afaik the mouse worked on FreeBSD under xterm using the xterm mouse support. Maybe also on putty since that is an xtermy emulator. (though might need some settings changed)

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:01:46 pm by marcov »

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2020, 09:08:25 am »
Sometimes it's easier to just work from a remote machine, even from within the same local network. That's what I've done since I knew VS Code. I could work on my local Raspberry Pi or my remote Linux VPS from my lovely Macbook Pro using Free Pascal with VS Code through ssh. No need to work directly on the target machine. I think ssh does work on BSDs, am I right? :)

X11 port forwarding over ssh? How could you do this with an heavy gui software like VS Code without unbearable lagging, I wonder? Do you use solution like NX or X2Go?
Don't underestimate X11 forwarding. Especially if you're using it on the local network. I've used it with Firefox quite some time ago. Alternatively you could try VNC. At work we use that for browsing as well.

Though bee probably didn't mean GUI, but simply invoking the compiler through SSH.

MarkMLl

« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2020, 09:19:57 am »
Don't underestimate X11 forwarding. Especially if you're using it on the local network. I've used it with Firefox quite some time ago. Alternatively you could try VNC. At work we use that for browsing as well.

Though bee probably didn't mean GUI, but simply invoking the compiler through SSH.

VNC is generally more efficient, even if it means transferring an entire desktop environment. I use it heavily but remote X11 has had problems at various times with- in particular- Lazarus and Firefox, the cause was believed to be excessive polling of input devices.

Generally speaking, my first choice is X11 over SSH, my second is Xephyr, and my third is VNC.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

bee

« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2020, 09:20:30 am »
Yup. Most of my Linux remote machines don't even have X installed. I meant by work remotely is simply open ssh connection to a remote machine, edit the source code via VS code through sftp, and then compile it on the remote machine through ssh terminal. I don't need mouse support nor GUI for that since my program is console or web program. :)
-Bee-

A long time pascal lover.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2020, 11:52:29 am »
Note that in general for remote X machines, you installed no X, but then manually only the parts needed for remote use and a simple manager like window maker.

I did this for quite a while when working at the university that had Hummingbird Xserver licenses in the early 2000s. I Xed home over putty's X forwarding to mostly FreeBSD machines.

Iirc it mostly worked fine, but managing Lazarus multiple windows sometimes was a chore. Starting mozilla (then just released "netscape 6") was very slow though, probably because mostly owner drawn.

guest65109

« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2020, 01:36:16 pm »
Yup. Most of my Linux remote machines don't even have X installed. I meant by work remotely is simply open ssh connection to a remote machine, edit the source code via VS code through sftp, and then compile it on the remote machine through ssh terminal. I don't need mouse support nor GUI for that since my program is console or web program. :)

Oh. I know this setup. You are not using X11 port forwarding from the remote machine to your local machine. The remote machine should be called a build server. I would recommend you to use NFS or Samba share over SFTP for performance reason.

lucamar

« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2020, 04:01:48 pm »
The remote machine should be called a build server. I would recommend you to use NFS or Samba share over SFTP for performance reason.

Since the build is done in the remote machine (which is, presumably, more powerful) the performance over ssh (just sending commands to the remote) should be greater than if the build was made in the (presumably "poorer") local machine accessing the source over "remote-disk" protocols.

It all depends, of course, on what you want to do, the relative "merits" of both machines and the communication speed of the link between them.  :)
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018