Recent

Author Topic: On Ubuntu 20.04 lazarus installed from Ubuntu Software does not start  (Read 7725 times)

corradoventu

I installed lazarus 2.0.6 on Ubuntu 20.04 from Ubuntu Software. installation was done without errors.
Trying to start I receive a message: Can't find the lazarus executable /usr/lib/lazarus/2.0.6/lazarus
See launchpad bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lazarus/+bug/1859316
corrado@corrado-x5-ff-0104:~$ ls /usr/lib/lazarus/2.0.6
components  docs  examples  languages  startlazarus
corrado@corrado-x5-ff-0104:~$
thanks for attention
With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion.

Zvoni

Re: On Ubuntu 20.04 lazarus installed from Ubuntu Software does not start
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 12:20:40 pm »
Don't install from Distro-Repo.
Use the deb's available here.
One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

corradoventu

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 02:26:02 pm »
On Ubuntu 18.04 I have Lazarus installed from Your site and works fine. On Ubuntu 20.04 Lazarus can be installed from Distro-repo and if supplied MUST WORK. If does not work You should help Canonical to correct the problem. Thanks.
With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion.

Zvoni

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 05:16:53 pm »
On Ubuntu 18.04 I have Lazarus installed from Your site and works fine. On Ubuntu 20.04 Lazarus can be installed from Distro-repo and if supplied MUST WORK. If does not work You should help Canonical to correct the problem. Thanks.
Wrong!
Even on 18.04 Lazarus was available in the repo's but a lot of people had trouble with those installs.
Ignore Lazarus/FPC in the repos, download the deb's from here, install them, lock them in Synaptic, Done!
One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

MarkMLl

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 05:40:25 pm »

Why should it "MUST WORK"? If it doesn't work then you- as an Ubuntu customer- should raise it via their bug tracking system. If they then decide that it's an upstream problem it's their responsibility to raise it with the authors, some- but by no means all- of whom are present in this forum.

I'd suggest that it's extremely impolite to come and shout at other users and at people who are giving their time without expectation of recompense when the problem appears to be down to Canonical- which is a company making money from support contracts etc.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

devEric69

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 05:50:30 pm »
@Zvoni and @MarkMLl are right: by caricaturing, Canonical is just trying to make small deb's, then linked together by dependencies. That's their logic. Btw, Canonical have provided a way to note an "Logithec"\"Softsthec" installation, and complain that their Snap is not installed at all.
The deb's created, here, have different cuttings, i.e. the dependencies follow a different logic.
==> Mixing the 2 types of deb's is catastrophic.

The simplest way, is that you download Fcpupdeluxe (latest Linux release; it's a real installer, with a "User friendly" interface), add the 'x' flag to run it if it doesn't launch, and use it to install FCP, Lazarus, and OPM. Then, you can too install a cross-compiler for another target than Ubuntu (e.g. Win 64 bits, if you want to compile for Wine).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 06:26:07 pm by devEric69 »
use: Linux 64 bits (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS).
Lazarus version: 2.0.4 (svn revision: 62502M) compiled with fpc 3.0.4 - fpDebug \ Dwarf3.

Ñuño_Martínez

• Burdjia
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 11:18:22 am »
Why are you using a WIP version of Ubuntu?  Version 20.04 will not be released until April this year.  You should use either 18.04 or 19.10 except you are an Ubuntu tester or developer.
Are you interested in game programming? Join the Pascal Game Development community!
Also visit the Game Development Portal

Hartmut

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 12:38:32 pm »
I too had tremendous problems to install FPC/Lazarus on Ubuntu before I got to know fpcupdeluxe. I strongly recommend to use it. One of it's many benefits is, that the complete installation is put in only one selectable destination folder. That means, that your installation is not scattered over uncountable system folders. This has big advantages, especially if you will have someday more than 1 FPC/Lazarus versions parallel working.

http://wiki.freepascal.org/fpcupdeluxe
https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,34645.0.html
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 12:42:52 pm by Hartmut »

john horst

• JHorst
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 09:44:32 pm »
While everyone is right and using the ubuntu repo is garbage... looking at the "bug" report maybe sudo apt install lazarus-ide-gtk2

MarkMLl

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 09:52:13 pm »
While everyone is right and using the ubuntu repo is garbage... looking at the "bug" report maybe sudo apt install lazarus-ide-gtk2

It should be reported through Ubuntu's bug management. If the package maintainer decides to upstream it, it should go into Mantis. In any event, not here.

MarkMLl

mas steindorff

for you folks that are still looking at the issue where ubuntu 21.04 does not install a working version of lazarus, I found i just had to do this in a Terminal:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt upgrade lazarus
now clicking on the Lazarus ico works

search our wiki for this fix but it's not to be found
mas
windows 7/10 - laz 2.0 / 1.2.6 general releases

MarkMLl

for you folks that are still looking at the issue where ubuntu 21.04 does not install a working version of lazarus, I found i just had to do this in a Terminal:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt upgrade lazarus
now clicking on the Lazarus ico works

search our wiki for this fix but it's not to be found
mas

Is that based on the packages that are in the standard Ubuntu repository, or packages that have been added from the Lazarus and FPC projects? Particularly in the former case, I'm not entirely sure that the Lazarus/FPC wiki needs to document how to perform a basic OS operation... but in any case what did apt announce was being upgraded?

MarkMLl

mas steindorff

Hi MarkMLI
I did not change any install pathways from their default values.  I tried to install Lazarus using the "add software" GUI. it downloaded and evenly the icon is ready to click. On both installs 21.04 (a VM and one for rPI4), I get an error message similar to the others in this topic. in both systems, the upgrade command works.

As a side note: I agree the issue is with Canonical either not installing a complete FPC system or not showing the correct stuff to click in the "add software" GUI. But we don't really offer a solution in the Wiki or I may not have found the solution searching for keywords "does not start" and "Ubuntu" in different orders. Maybe we should add a helper note on the "install for ubuntu" page if this is happening for others. 
MAS
windows 7/10 - laz 2.0 / 1.2.6 general releases

TinyPortal © 2005-2018