Recent

Author Topic: What about competing with Go?  (Read 6569 times)

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
Re: Escape the shadow of Delphi
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2019, 10:30:08 am »
But it's the way it is. This project is developed by users in their free time. People follow their interests (e.g. Florian improving the optimization, Jonas implementing the LLVM backend, me playing around in the parser).

And me being a pain in the collective backside of the core developers for the last 15 years or so :-)

At least since 06/02/02:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.lang.modula2/DmRsV52YLb8

or is this the recruitment ? :-)

Afaik we came onto c.l.m2 about the same time (1994-1995 ?), and you might have submitted bugs/comments to my xtdlib library. So that would make it 25 years already :-)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 10:49:00 am by marcov »

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
Re: What about competing with Go?
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2019, 11:02:30 am »
I am looking forward to the new year already. The core team have birth dates close to unix time start (1-1-1970) .....
Specialize a type, not a var.

MarkMLl

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2019, 11:07:15 am »
At least since 06/02/02:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.lang.modula2/DmRsV52YLb8

or is this the recruitment ? :-)

Afaik we came onto c.l.m2 about the same time (1994-1995 ?), and you might have submitted bugs/comments to my xtdlib library. So that would make it 25 years already :-)

My goodness, that's going back some :-) In '95 I was in the middle of a demanding project developing a microkernel in Modula-2 (16-bit x86 protected mode, debugged using a Tek logic analyser until it could report usefully on its own exceptions) with large chunks of the same code also running on Z80. And I wrote the boot ROMs as well, and the binder that converted TopSpeed DLLs into a PM binary. So I suppose that does give me a bit of a pedigree :-)

We were certainly discussing FPC by mail in '04. I've just checked and it was Vincent who logged into one of our SPARC-based systems to get Lazarus going but that wasn't until late '08 (a mere 11 years or so).

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2019, 01:06:30 pm »
If you want to change, you should invest on the correct path. I think you have great potential to be a real competitor of Golang.

I do not represent the whole community. But I believe not much or maybe no one here care to compete with Golang. Maybe not to compete, but we care more about Java, Python, C/++ because their have huge user base. I don't mean Golang is bad but they're #2 from the bottom:

https://www.benfrederickson.com/ranking-programming-languages-by-github-users/

The Lazarus IDE now, IMO, just a shadow of old version of RAD Studio, and only suitable to develop drag and drop GUI application. It currently not even good for command line application, let alone this kind of application  :-X

Did you meant console applications? Lazarus can be used to build console applications. If you're having issue with it, just let us know. It can be a bug or maybe you did it wrong, people here will guide it how to do it correctly.

But with my ability, it's impossible for me to do anything other than talk and lobby. And I think I have lobbied the wrong way, so it has the reverse effect. Everyone hate me now, think of me as a spammer or some trouble maker. Sorry, everyone. I think I should go now  :)

I'm not sure about the others, but not everyone hate you. After some deep analyzing I believe you're not a spammer. And I really enjoy reading your posts. They usually have catchy titles and the things that most others won't say. Please, don't go, I'll miss you.

Here are some tips if you want to improve your lobby power:
Contribute to the community, it is very hard for a new user just pop up and ask changes. Do some research before saying something. When I said Go doesn't have large user base compare to Java, Python, C/++, I really showed a link to prove it. As someone already mentioned it, being sponsored with money can make a big different. The community need manpower, many of your suggestions are actually good, but people are doing the things they're thinking more important to them. Money can attract manpower. If you really need new features and you need it quick, you can post bounties.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2019, 01:09:34 pm »

We were certainly discussing FPC by mail in '04. I've just checked and it was Vincent who logged into one of our SPARC-based systems to get Lazarus going but that wasn't until late '08 (a mere 11 years or so).

The pun being meant is that you possibly "bothered" one developer before either of our FPC involvements :D. And that above link about us discussing FPC is from 2002.

MarkMLl

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2019, 01:11:54 pm »
The Lazarus IDE now, IMO, just a shadow of old version of RAD Studio, and only suitable to develop drag and drop GUI application. It currently not even good for command line application, let alone this kind of application  :-X
Did you meant console applications? Lazarus can be used to build console applications. If you're having issue with it, just let us know. It can be a bug or maybe you did it wrong, people here will guide it how to do it correctly.

I want to second that. If there are weaknesses it's in the Lazarus console output window, but a lot of those can be circumvented by attaching to a running program.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

valdir.marcos

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2019, 02:16:24 pm »
As far as I know GO is proven to be solvable.
I am not aware of any board game called Pascal.
I beg your pardon, but I could not understand your opinion. Could you elaborate it a bit more?

Bart

• Bart en Mariska's Webstek
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2019, 02:20:31 pm »
I beg your pardon, but I could not understand your opinion. Could you elaborate it a bit more?

It's a joke.
You can compete in the boardgame named "go", but until a game called "pascal" is invented, you cannot compete in it.

Bart

valdir.marcos

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2019, 02:34:38 pm »
It's a joke.
You can compete in the boardgame named "go", but until a game called "pascal" is invented, you cannot compete in it.
Bart
Thanks, Bart.
I know Thaddy is Dutch, but his English [people] humor is not easy to understand outside Europe.

Bart

• Bart en Mariska's Webstek
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2019, 02:45:01 pm »
I know Thaddy is Dutch, but his English [people] humor is not easy to understand outside Europe.

Not just there...

Bart

lucamar

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2019, 02:49:15 pm »

Not just there...

Bart

In his defense, I have to say that to us Monty Python fans he makes perfect sense :P
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2019, 10:33:06 am »
@hunghung: Don't feel bad. Get involved, learn the ropes, learn to distinguish between what's easy and what's not so easy. And just to put things in context, PascalDragon's port of the compiler so that it can use the low-level Windows NT API (normally available for device drivers etc.) is one of the simpler things he and his colleagues have done.
It even was one of the first contributions I did to FPC (see here and here)... good times  8-)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018