Recent

Author Topic: Why this IDE so fragile?  (Read 5091 times)

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
Re: Why this IDE so fragile?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2019, 07:58:53 pm »
Because I'm lazy. Fpcupdeluxe automated everything. Of course I could build Lazarus the traditional way but it waste time and efforts.
Building a native Lazarus on a supported platform is easier with "svn co ..." and "make". Later just update sources by "svn up" and build from a GUI window in Lazarus. As simple as it gets!
This assumes you don't need FPC trunk or other branch and you have FPC release version already installed. I have used fpcupdeluxe also myself for building FPC trunk.

With Fpcupdeluxe, Don also provide patches needed to build on platfroms where official Lazarus failed to build. Thank to Fpcupdeluxe, Lazarus available on more platforms than just Win, Lin and Mac. Don't underestimate it!  ;D
I don't. I believe it does a fantastic job especially with cross-compilers.
About FreeBSD: my "svn co" + "make" system for Lazarus trunk should work there once you have FPC installed. Does it not?

Do you know that it was Don's patches that allowed me to have a working FPC + Lazarus on DFBSD? How much trouble I will encounter when building Laz on an unsupported platform? Today, when I tried to update FPC + Laz via Fpcupdeluxe, it failed with the same old pkglnet missing issue. It should be something changed upstream, causing Don's patches no longer work. Do you think I should wait Don to update his pacthes or try to be a hacker to patch FPC + Laz myself, which is certainly above my ability?  :P
No I didn't know about those patches. What pkglnet missing issue? Is it reported?
Why does Don keep the patches for himself instead of offering them to Lazarus project? It would ease everybody's life in the long run. Now there is essentially another Lazarus fork building up, perhaps unintentionally.
He would be the maintainer of Lazarus DragonFlyBSD target by providing patches. Somebody (maybe myself) would apply and commit them.
Commit rights are possible after "too many" patches of course. :)

Alexey T., alias CudaText man, provided a patch for DragonFlyBSD (although he included other unrelated changes):
 https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=36409
Would it help your case?
[Edit] I applied the latest version of Alexey's patch. There are no functional changes. It means that if Lazarus failed to work in DragonFlyBSD, it still fails.

You don't need to be a hacker to patch Lazarus. Just fix a bug and provide a patch. Easy peasy!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 10:17:34 pm by JuhaManninen »
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

guest64953

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2019, 05:29:18 am »
@JuhaManninen: I don't want to argue further with you. Man, it's a matter of luck. The previous time, Laz + FPC trunk luckily build and run on my system, thank to Don's effort with that version of Fpcupdeluxe (1.6.6a). You could see our screenshots of Laz running on DFBSD. But this time, my luck is gone, FPC, I stressed FPC, with this version of Fpcupdeluxe (1.6.6b), failed to build at pkglnet.pp because of missing unit lnet, this is the plain old issue that was fixed by Don's patches but now up again because of some changes on upstream and Don not yet updated his patches. If FPC failed to build, how could I build Laz, I wonder?

I know it's not the fault of Fpcupdeluxe, because reverting back to old version (1.6.6a) didn't solve the problem, the same missing unit lnet issue as 1.6.6b version. Upstream must fix this issue to allow me to have a working FPC first before asking me to build Laz myself, I hope this is clear enough. I don't know why Don didn't upstreamed his patches, though. Perhaps he didn't have time. The last version of Fpcupdeluxe (1.6.6b) is 5 days ago  :)

ASBzone

• Automation leads to relaxation...
    • Free Console Utilities for Windows (and a few for Linux) from BrainWaveCC
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2019, 05:55:53 am »
Update: it's back working, I would need to calm myself down  %)

Seriously.  It looks like you spent more time on the post than it took to resolve your issue.
-ASB: https://www.BrainWaveCC.com/

Lazarus v2.2.7-ada7a90186 / FPC v3.2.3-706-gaadb53e72c
(Windows 64-bit install w/Win32 and Linux/Arm cross-compiles via FpcUpDeluxe on both instances)

My Systems: Windows 10/11 Pro x64 (Current)

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2019, 09:04:59 am »
If FPC failed to build, how could I build Laz, I wonder?
By installing the released version of FPC, currently 3.0.4. :)
Usually people are involved in the development of either FPC project or Lazarus project but not both.
For example I usually build my Lazarus trunk with FPC 3.0.4. You can do the same thing if you want to study and test the latest development in Lazarus.
Things are different if you need a certain component that requires FPC trunk of course. I don't know your exact use case.

Lazarus sources can be built with at least 2 latest FPC versions, now 3.0.2 and 3.0.4. I guess 3.0.0 works, too, although not tested for a while.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

DonAlfredo

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2019, 11:11:57 am »
@hunghung
My bad. I will release a new fpcupdeluxe 1.6.6c. The previous versions did use the wrong patch for FPC.

About upstreaming the patches.
You, as a user, give me the necessary feedback if all is correct.
If correct, I will submit a bug-report with the patch.
This will be reviewed by the FPC and Lazarus developers.

guest64953

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2019, 11:27:16 am »
Update: it's back working, I would need to calm myself down  %)

Seriously.  It looks like you spent more time on the post than it took to resolve your issue.

No. That time I'm really panicked. Actually I does searching very carefully before I post anything, and keep editing it regular to clarify my own thinking about the problems.

guest64953

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2019, 11:32:54 am »
If FPC failed to build, how could I build Laz, I wonder?
By installing the released version of FPC, currently 3.0.4. :)
Usually people are involved in the development of either FPC project or Lazarus project but not both.
For example I usually build my Lazarus trunk with FPC 3.0.4. You can do the same thing if you want to study and test the latest development in Lazarus.
Things are different if you need a certain component that requires FPC trunk of course. I don't know your exact use case.

Lazarus sources can be built with at least 2 latest FPC versions, now 3.0.2 and 3.0.4. I guess 3.0.0 works, too, although not tested for a while.

I know your information already. Actually, there are no fpc to install. There is one from the DFBSD's repo, but it doesn't manage dependency, it only install a plain compiler without any units, even the rtl! You have to cherry pick which fpc-* packages needed to installed for a complete compiler. Very time consuming. I also know fpc provide snapshots for different platforms, including DFBSD, on their ftp. But I don't know how to install those snapshots. Some of them don't have an installer.sh script as usual. Some even don't have ppcx64. Something changed, if I recall correctly (warnings: both the previous and this one could be my memory's faulty, but I will not download these .tat.gz again just to clarify this post!), the last version with a proper installer.sh and ppcx64 is 3.0.4. And again I can't use this version, because I heard some fpc devs from this forum said, FreeBSD and DFBSD only properly supported on trunk. Hope you understand my situation.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018