Recent

Author Topic: Insane Forum Registration questions  (Read 2906 times)

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
Re: Insane Forum Registration questions
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2019, 12:46:20 am »
The low number appears to be hardcoded into the software. At least I did not find the setting.

Same about the one line. I would like to expand, but I am not sure it is possible.
I have not tried all kind of [ x ] tags, in the input. Doing so would always be public to all.

There are a number of addons to smf. I do not know how efficient they are. And I need to request them to be installed by the server admin (not me). Also they may need testing before....

I did some investigating, I can add color and [ br ] works. (I still have to edit all into one line...)
I reworded the question.....

Still waiting to learn what is ambiguous in the prime number question

New screenshot attached.

--- EDIT
I changed the text to "the red letters in the next line"
I case someone's browser wraps text

Also "Pick and add all "prime numbers": 23,10,4,33,3,4,9,13 then add them together"
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 12:53:56 am by Martin_fr »

440bx

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2019, 01:08:07 am »
just curiosity...

have bots gotten really good at reading text in an image ?

At least at one time, that seemed to be sufficient to prevent bots from successfully completing the registration process.
(FPC v3.0.4 and Lazarus 1.8.2) or (FPC v3.2.2 and Lazarus v3.2) on Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2019, 01:15:49 am »
just curiosity...

At least at one time, that seemed to be sufficient to prevent bots from successfully completing the registration process.

I don't have a bot to check, but probably yes.
Also there are captcha solving services, some are supposedly based on AI

And if you are unlucky and come across a lot of googles "choose all images with cars" => it will occasionally tell you, that you got it wrong, even though you did not. My guess => it may try to prevent AI from learning correctly by giving fake results.

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2019, 09:02:07 am »

The sad fact today is that often what used to be "bots" are now in fact lowly paid humans somewhere in the third world.

I was involved in a forum on electronics a couple of years ago, and what we thought were "bots" were incredibly clever at deciphering a range of schematic symbols correctly when given 5 options from which to choose. I was deleting 30-100 registrations a day () as well as the sign-up-today and not-revisit-for-3-months before returning to add dozens of spam posts overnight. I spent a couple of hours doing this every day along with others.

So, yes, it really is a problem and it only gets worse.

440bx

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2019, 09:48:54 am »
The sad fact today is that often what used to be "bots" are now in fact lowly paid humans somewhere in the third world.
That is truly sad and, the problem it represents, makes the problem of unwanted registrations very small in comparison.
(FPC v3.0.4 and Lazarus 1.8.2) or (FPC v3.2.2 and Lazarus v3.2) on Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2019, 10:40:58 am »

I'd guess it is a combination of both. Captchas that bots fail on are directly routed to these humans, which are probably in the same shack as the bot programmers/maintainers.

In august the forum really was under attach heavily, with tens of fake accounts created a day.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018