Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus devs, is it the time to add a vte now?  (Read 5643 times)

guest64953

Re: Lazarus devs, is it the time to add a vte now?
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2019, 03:04:56 am »
I think I would use a simple form to do input/output. This is the best workaround I could think of now. Lazarus is not about developing console app at all  :-X

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2019, 03:25:50 am »
The communication with gdb works well... Also using libgdb might be faster, it probably does not solve any other issues. In fact, it means that any crashes killing gdb (rare, but do happen), if those crashes are in libgdb they could take down the entire IDE. Also libgdb is not easily obtained on some platforms.
At least on Linux we also get a separate I/O stream for the apps stdin/stdout. On Mac (and Freebsd?) that does not work. (yet)

Btw, I forgot: If you have a stable lldb for your platform, it may support launching a terminal. At least lldb on Mac can do that. I do not know if it has this on other platforms. And also lldb on other Platforms does not work very well with fpc compiled apps... As far as my testing goes. However, the IDE supports lldb.

Manpower: Well I am the person that currently looks after most debugging related issues. The IDE has support for gdb, gdb+ssh, gdb-server, lldb, fpdebug, and some combinations of the formers (those are all different debugger backends, that can be used). That is a lot of debugger to maintain. On top of which I look after SynEdit and various other bits. (Not complaining... wouldn't do them if I dint want to)
I actually wanted to have the vte for many years, despite the fact that I do not need it for myself at all. It is for the last part, that it is quite low on the priority list.

Lazarus supports "run without debug" => but unfortunately that does not change your "run parameters" where you can set a "launching terminal".
However "run parameters" allow you to setup several modes, that you can then quickly change (little drop down on the green run button).
So with that, you can do "run without debugger" in a real terminal, all launched from within the IDE.

Manpower: even adding an existing component takes time. It may end up in some trial and error, and fixing real simple stuff.

And last not least.
There (afaik) was a time, when running in the debugger and using a terminal started by the IDE worked.... Afaik (but I cant test, as I do not have a terminal for which the following applies):
If you have a terminal, that starts your app in the same process as the terminal (so it does not fork a new process), then gdb should pick up your app.
I do not know if such a terminal still exists.

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2019, 04:08:01 am »

OMG I'm the later generation of sysadmin. I hate vi/vim with a passion and prefer to use nano/joe. The first thing I do on a Unix-like server is install nano and set EDITOR=nano. Luckily, on Linux based system nano is already installed by default  :D

First thing I asked the applicant at a job interview, "what editor do you use ?" - actual answer did not matter but great way to start a conversation.

Anyway, my real point is that for developing console apps, maybe a console editor is your best bet, keeps you close to where you need be !

Davo
Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

guest64953

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2019, 04:38:57 am »
And last not least.
There (afaik) was a time, when running in the debugger and using a terminal started by the IDE worked.... Afaik (but I cant test, as I do not have a terminal for which the following applies):
If you have a terminal, that starts your app in the same process as the terminal (so it does not fork a new process), then gdb should pick up your app.
I do not know if such a terminal still exists.

Yeah, I rememer that time as well. I installed Lazarus on Ubuntu but only played with it a bit then I uninstalled it because my direction at that time is sysadmin, not developer :)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018