Recent

Author Topic: Who maintain the fpc and lazarus ports on FreeBSD? Please read this.  (Read 6519 times)

guest64953

Please revisit the way you handle dependencies. It's totally broken. Read this: https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,47425.0.html

Don't you think it's ridiculous when the lazarus-gtk2 package doesn't depend on the fpc package at all?  The fact you just let it depends on fpc-utils and fpc-source. Don't you think it's nonsense when the fpc package is installed without fpc-units? This rendered it almost useless.

Please don't try to copy the way Debian packaged fpc and lazarus. They do this because of their stupid discipline to split packages into more small packages. They do this only because the way they abuse package dependency caused their system to be polluted with full of unnecessary dependencies packages! On FreeBSD, we don't have such problem! So don't try to be like them. It's nonsense.

Did you know I have to do trial and error, cost me hours just to installed the needed packages just to rebuild lazarus at all? After all, I just wanted to install anchordockingdsng and spartadockedformeditor! So far I need these packes:

Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. fpc fpc-units fpc-utils fpc-base fpc-regexpr fpc-docs fpc-source gdb lazarus-gtk2

Do you think that's annoying? If you still want to stick with your current discipline. The lazarus team, please do what you did with Linux debian, provide us a version from your own repo with included everything and just work. Thanks.

p/s1: The fact is, most of us just grab the three .deb packages directly from lazarus sourceforge repository and have a fully working out of the box and up-to-date lazarus ide. Only people who didn't know about it try to install from the Debian's repo. I feel bad for them, having to deal with an very outdated lazarus and their system polluted with so many unneeded things!

p/s2: Edited to remove all of the  >:( because I don't want to be rude. This post is full of them. You should know how disappointed I was.

howardpc

Re: Who maintain the fpc and lazarus ports on FreeBSD? Please read this.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 05:27:58 pm »
FPC appears to be still officially supported (i.e. maintained) on FreeBSD.
It is not clear that any of the Lazarus core team regularly works on FreeBSD or has maintaining Lazarus installation on FreeBSD as a priority, though I don't know. If there is no one maintaining Lazarus FreeBSD install packages, perhaps you could lend a hand?

guest64953

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 05:40:04 pm »
FPC appears to be still officially supported (i.e. maintained) on FreeBSD.
It is not clear that any of the Lazarus core team regularly works on FreeBSD or has maintaining Lazarus installation on FreeBSD as a priority, though I don't know. If there is no one maintaining Lazarus FreeBSD install packages, perhaps you could lend a hand?

I don't have enough knowledge about packaging on this OS so even if I want to help, I still can't do anything. If you want me to test a prebuilt version or build a version myself (via fpcupdeluxe) I could do it, and I already do it now.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 05:54:51 pm »
The ports structure of FPC in FreeBSD is outside of the FPC core team. It is all Freebsd-ports@

FPC distributes its FreeBSD releases as TARs which include an installer script. Besides that there are also bootstrap compilers to bootstrap the FPC source distributions.

I also dislike the fragmentation of the FPC distribution. It is probably done to factor out dependencies of the various header sets on their corresponding libraries, but I think the remedy is worse than the problem.

guest64953

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 06:02:15 pm »
The ports structure of FPC in FreeBSD is outside of the FPC core team. It is all Freebsd-ports@

FPC distributes its FreeBSD releases as TARs which include an installer script. Besides that there are also bootstrap compilers to bootstrap the FPC source distributions.

I also dislike the fragmentation of the FPC distribution. It is probably done to factor out dependencies of the various header sets on their corresponding libraries, but I think the remedy is worse than the problem.

It's fpc. What about Lazarus? Or I have to depend on fpcupdeluxe until Lazarus offically support FreeBSD? Using fpcupdeluxe also have many problems, such as hardcoded linuxism in search path for binary and I don't know which dependencies are needed to install before I could build FPC + Lazarus.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 06:05:44 pm »
It's fpc. What about Lazarus?

I've used Lazarus on FreeBSD since 1997. I don't currently have a problem.

Or I have to depend on fpcupdeluxe until Lazarus offically support FreeBSD? Using fpcupdeluxe also have many problems, such as hardcoded linuxism in search path for binary and I don't know which dependencies are needed to install before I could build FPC + Lazarus.

The official packages (of both Linux and FreeBSD) are the distribution responsibility. Not FPC/Lazarus. Distributions package applications, that is their job, we merely provide the basis to start from.

That said, that doesn't mean we won't try to fix or improve things if possible. But reporters need to be aware of the division of labours between the projects.

guest64953

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 06:14:06 pm »
The official packages (of both Linux and FreeBSD) are the distribution responsibility. Not FPC/Lazarus. Distributions package applications, that is their job, we merely provide the basis to start from.

That said, that doesn't mean we won't try to fix or improve things if possible. But reporters need to be aware of the division of labours between the projects.

I know this. But the person who maintain the ports also on this forum. I want to reach him. I'm not accuse any of you.

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 06:34:01 pm »
Here are the lists of developers:
https://wiki.freepascal.org/Developer_pages
https://www.freepascal.org/aboutus.var

But before you contact any of them personally, please be nice. They spend lots of their precious time, they deserve to be respected.

guest64953

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 02:34:36 am »
Here are the lists of developers:
https://wiki.freepascal.org/Developer_pages
https://www.freepascal.org/aboutus.var

But before you contact any of them personally, please be nice. They spend lots of their precious time, they deserve to be respected.

I will not dare to contact them because I know my English is very bad. Many people didn't understand my posts, or even misunderstanding. I regret that I didn't work hard at school  :'(

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 11:23:28 am »
It's fpc. What about Lazarus? Or I have to depend on fpcupdeluxe until Lazarus offically support FreeBSD? Using fpcupdeluxe also have many problems, such as hardcoded linuxism in search path for binary and I don't know which dependencies are needed to install before I could build FPC + Lazarus.
You don't need fpcupdeluxe to install Lazarus. Once you get FPC installed from the ports system or otherwise, just download Lazarus sources from Subversion server and build them.
The development packages for GTK2 etc. must be installed in FreeBSD at this point.
So:
 $ cd
 $ svn co https://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/branches/fixes_2_0/ lazarus_2_0
 $ cd lazarus_2_0
 $ make
 $ ./lazarus &

Then you can install packages into Lazarus as you wish etc.
This method is recommended also on Linux systems eg. related to Debian if the provided .deb packages cause problems. They do not work in every version of every Debian derivative.
Using the svn fixes branch gives an extra benefit: You get the latest bug fixes by typing "svn up".
"fpcupdeluxe" is good for installing different versions of FPC and for cross-compilation. It is not needed for a simple task of building Lazarus from sources.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018