Recent

Author Topic: How to uninstall fpc?  (Read 4077 times)

guest65109

How to uninstall fpc?
« on: January 15, 2020, 03:03:56 pm »
I installed fpc on Linux using the official tar package. Now I want to uninstall it but I the install script doesn't support uninstall. How to completely uninstall fpc? As I want to install a new version, using deb package from an online repo which package unstable and trunk version of it and this repo is updated regularly. The deb package is more convenient as we only have to apt full-upgrade to have latest version.

Please let me know how to completely uninstall fpc and if you could please add uninstall support to the install script. Thanks.

p/s: I installed to default location.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
Re: How to uninstall fpc?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 03:23:08 pm »
    Must be done manual. Luckily, most binaries will have the same date.
    Things to clean for a installation in $prefix (/usr   or /usr/local)

• remove $prefix/lib/fpc
    • docs and textfiles in $prefix/share/fpc/* or $prefix/doc/fpc/* 
    • Weed out FPC binaries from $prefix/bin based on date.
    • remove /etc/fpc.cfg and/or ~/.fpc.cfg
    • remove ~/.fppkg

Most are simple removes, the only slightly complicated part is the binaries part. OTOH if binaries are missing, it is not that bad, just install the debian ones with --force or something, so that it overwrites them instead of whining.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 03:47:10 pm by marcov »

guest65109

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 03:37:30 pm »
The install script and the whole tarball distribution was designed without uninstall support in mind and it's very bad for doing so. Software that do not offer uninstall script should be considered as malware.

The FreeBASIC project, despite being smaller they designed a simple but worked install script. The most important thing is I could uninstall it simply by issuing ./install.sh -u.

Anyway, you will be gone when I reinstall my system. And I do that regular because of vendors littered my system enough that I can't do anything to rollback other than a clean reinstall. I will add these vendors to blacklist, as I don't want to pollute my system.

p/s: Finally you could get rid of me. I promise I will never come back. Goodbye.

Bart

• Bart en Mariska's Webstek
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 03:51:04 pm »
p/s: Finally you could get rid of me. I promise I will never come back. Goodbye.

I hope you keep your promise.

Bart

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 03:52:13 pm »
The install script and the whole tarball distribution was designed without uninstall support in mind and it's very bad for doing so. Software that do not offer uninstall script should be considered as malware.

It offers the option of separate prefixes at startup. I usually use that, and simply remove the whole prefix, rather than mixing system managed and private binaries. That never has been a good practice. Uninstaller script or not.

The FreeBASIC project, despite being smaller they designed a simple but worked install script. The most important thing is I could uninstall it simply by issuing ./install.sh -u.

It would be nice to have and also interesting how they do it. I think the problem is that the install.sh simply extracts a bunch of .tar.gz based on query results, and there is no over arching filelist.

The script is also so old that I don't even know when it first was introduced.

But the manual removal should take no more than one or two minutes. Is this really worth all the drama?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 10:53:03 pm by marcov »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018