Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus on Raspberry Pi 4 IDE response speed problem  (Read 5464 times)

Thaddy

• Sensorship about opinions does not belong here.
Re: Lazarus on Raspberry Pi 4 IDE response speed problem
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2019, 12:29:29 pm »
Raspbian Buster was (is) a moving target since it was released before Debian Buster, Hence it is essential to keep it up-to-date, which by now it is. Early adopters should do what I wrote
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

MarkMLl

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2019, 12:36:47 pm »
I agree, but the release notes indicate that Raspbian Buster has always supported the RPi4, unlike some of the other ones where new hardware was introduced during the lifetime of the OS.

I don't know the extent to which a standard  apt upgrade  will bring the loader (Videocore firmware etc.) up to date, or if an  rpi-update  is mandatory for this.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

DidaJI

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2019, 08:23:02 am »
I run it on RPI 4 with the latest raspbian Buster:

Installation on SD card from here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/ (Raspbian Buster with desktop), after installation:
apt-get install update
apt-get install upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade
rpi-update

Zdenek.
No. These are the commands:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo reboot
sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade (provided the previous sudo apt update indicated a fully up to date system)
sudo reboot

You do not "install" update or upgrade...
And you need sudo.

Sorry, "install", I wrote "install" there by mistake, I normally do not put it there. I don't have "sudo" before every command because I used "sudo su" at the beginning.

Zdenek.

DidaJI

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2019, 08:36:02 am »
Is there anyone who has installed Lazarus on Raspberry PI4 and could try it? Just open empty Form and put TImage on it and copy 10 times and try switch individual TImage in Component List. Or just switch them by clicking on them in the Form. It's a 10-second job.

Thank's: Zdenek.

Thaddy

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2019, 08:59:19 am »
No problem. Done. No problems found.
I used:
- RPi4/4GB running from a fast sandisk 64GB USB3 stick, booted from a sandisk cat 10 16GB micro sd card.
- Raspbian Buster with all patches. No swap (well, not a serious one: 128 MB)
- FPC version   3.3.1-r43569
- Lazarus version 2.1.0
- Offical USB-C Powersupply
Both FPC and Lazarus built from source on the Raspberry Pi itself.

Speed problems are often caused by:
- a 1 GB without enough swap
- a proper swap (equal to the hardware memory) but on a slow medium
- FPC and/or Lazarus built with debug information (never do that, unless you develop for the compiler or the IDE).
- Not updating Rasbian enough!!! There are almost weekly speed related updates. Plz run sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade -y  if you did not do so already.
- An under-powered powersupply (RPi4 will throttle down!!! if starved, do you see the lightning image in the top right corner? That indicates not enough amps)
[edit]
Just repeated the test on a RPi 3b + 1 GB swap and there there is a noticable slowdown, but not unworkable.
That Pi is also running Pihole and a webserver, so there are less resources available.
This Pi has also the same storage configuration, except not running on USB3 speed of course. (stick and sd are the same, though)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 09:28:47 am by Thaddy »
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

krolikbest

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2019, 09:09:00 am »
I don't have RPi4 but RPi3, power supply orginal for RPi (Extreme 3Amp) and Raspbian Stretch, Laz 1.6. On the form 11 images and switching between them is without problems.

Thaddy

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2019, 09:12:18 am »
I don't have RPi4 but RPi3, power supply orginal for RPi (Extreme 3Amp) and Raspbian Stretch, Laz 1.6. On the form 11 images and switching between them is without problems.
I suspect he did not update enough: Raspbian Buster was released a bit premature and there have been many speed tweaks specifically for the RPi4.
Staying current is essential and makes a huge difference, especially for the RPi4. Raspbian Buster for the RPi3 is different and was already quite mature because the speed optimizations were already done. That was (and to a certain extend still is) not the case for the new RPi4 hardware.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 09:23:05 am by Thaddy »

BosseB

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2019, 09:29:10 am »
- Not updating Rasbian enough!!! There are almost weekly speed related updates. Plz run sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade -y  if you did not do so already.
I also update my RPi4B regularly, when I checked today there was only 1 update available (for Bluetooth which I don't use).
Upgraded it anyway.
But how does one know if there is a dist-upgrade available???
On Ubuntu it is shown whenever one logs on via PuTTY...
--
Bo Berglund
Sweden

Thaddy

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2019, 09:47:30 am »
Running dist-upgrade is not strictly necessary all the time, upgrade is often enough, but it is my habit, except on vital systems where I only run upgrade..
If you run sudo update it will report how many updates are available.

@DidaJI
Can you report your hardware in the exact same manner as I did above?
Can you report how you installed FPC and Lazarus?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 09:52:42 am by Thaddy »

DidaJI

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2019, 12:31:51 pm »
I used:
- RPi4/4GB running from a fast sandisk 64GB USB3 stick, booted from a sandisk cat 10 16GB micro sd card.
- Lazarus version 2.1.0

- FPC and/or Lazarus built with debug information (never do that, unless you develop for the compiler or the IDE).
- An under-powered powersupply (RPi4 will throttle down!!! if starved, do you see the lightning image in the top right corner? That indicates not enough amps)
[edit]
Just repeated the test on a RPi 3b + 1 GB swap and there there is a noticable slowdown, but not unworkable.
That Pi is also running Pihole and a webserver, so there are less resources available.
This Pi has also the same storage configuration, except not running on USB3 speed of course. (stick and sd are the same, though)

Thanks for the test! I also have RPI4 with 4GB RAM. The only difference I see is that I have all on the SD card (SanDisk Extreme) and those on USB. I don't think it could be that, but I'll try.

Zdenek.

DidaJI

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2019, 12:36:04 pm »
I used:
- Lazarus version 2.1.0

[edit]

Could you please try the color font size problem in "TLabel"? Put the "Label" on the Form, set the font size to 150 and the color to be red. Do you see it correctly? Upper and lower case character?

Thank's: Zdenek.

DidaJI

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2019, 02:36:48 pm »
Running dist-upgrade is not strictly necessary all the time, upgrade is often enough, but it is my habit, except on vital systems where I only run upgrade..
If you run sudo update it will report how many updates are available.

@DidaJI
Can you report your hardware in the exact same manner as I did above?
Can you report how you installed FPC and Lazarus?

I have:
Raspberry PI4 with 4GB RAM
Linux RPI-Devel2 4.19.75-v7l+ #1270 SMP Tue Sep 24 18:51:41 BST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="10"
VERSION="10 (buster)"
VERSION_CODENAME=buster
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian

Lazarus: 2.1.0
Date: 27.09.2019
FPC: 3.3.1
SVN revision: Unversioned directory

- I don't know why it doesn't tell me the FPC revision.

I use my own 5V / 3A converter for power supply and power is not via USB connector, but via pins. Reducing performance due to low power is not a problem, my compilation goes much faster than on RPI3. Only the motion in the lazarus editor is slow.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 04:38:42 pm by DidaJI »

DidaJI

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2019, 04:12:49 pm »
Here is another video where the speed problem is displayed sequentially on RPI4 and RPI3. I only pressed the down arrow on the keyboard at the same speed.
It's the same SD card inserted in RPI4 and RPI3B+.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w6XBMxzS0o

DidaJI

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2019, 06:08:38 pm »
@Thaddy:
I cloned my SD card on a USB 3.0 SSD disk and boot system out of it. Unfortunately, the speed in the graphical environment is still the same ...

Zdenek.

DidaJI

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2019, 07:05:14 am »
Here it is nice to see that switching Buttons is cool until you put an Image on the form. Then, switching components becomes unusable.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUItOqTz96U&feature=youtu.be

TinyPortal © 2005-2018