Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus on Raspberry Pi 4 IDE response speed problem  (Read 5340 times)

DidaJI

Lazarus on Raspberry Pi 4 IDE response speed problem
« on: November 19, 2019, 10:27:45 am »
Hello,
I run Lazarus version 2.1 (svn: 62276) on raspberry pi 4 with last Buster. Everything basically works, compilation is much faster than on PI 3B+.
But I have a problem with the IDE response speed. If there are more components on the Form, even switching between them becomes very slow. (two second and more...) If I take the same sd card and put it in Raspberry PI 3B+, this switching of components is much faster. It is very annoying and slows down the work.

Another problem is with color when the font size is large. For example, if I put a Label to Form and set the font size to 150, the color is black, for example, it looks like the attached picture. Part of the text is black and part of the text is white. On raspberry pi 3 everything is all right again. If you compile a large font program on Raspberry PI 4 and then run it on PI3, then everything is all right again. Problem is only on PI4.

Does anyone have similar experience or does it work well?

MarkMLl

Re: Lazarus on Raspberry Pi 4 IDE response speed problem
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 11:18:16 am »
The fact that it differs between different systems makes it difficult to pin it down to Lazarus (or, more specifically, the LCL) rather than the X11 server (which might be reacting badly to something the LCL is asking it to do... which doesn't necessarily make it an LCL problem).

What widget set are you using? How big is the screen? Is there any difference in e.g. the colour depth (bits per pixel) on the two systems?

Can you tie it down to any particular component (e.g. TPaintBox) on your form? I've got a couple of projects (on an AMD64 KDE desktop using gtk2) where I suspect this might be a CPU glutton.

Are you able to login to the RPi using VNC, and does that change the behaviour? Historically, there were a few X11 apps including Lazarus and Firefox which generated excessive input (mouse etc.) calls, this problem was recognisable since the different input handling on VNC fixed it.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

DidaJI

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 11:45:02 am »
Hello MarkMLI, thank's for your quick reply.

I test on the same SD card on the same monitor. I just switch SD card from RPI3 to RPI4. Resolution is 2560x1440. Color depth I do not know how to solve RPI, I never changed it. I will try which components could affect it most and write it here. However, to raise the problem with the color of large fonts, just put a Label on a blank Form and it works poorly.
I will also try it through VNC.

Thank you very much for your reaction, I'll get back with what I find out.

Zdenek.

DidaJI

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 11:56:22 am »
Thus, the response speed and poor color rendering are the same bad via VNC from another computer.

DidaJI

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 12:08:38 pm »
So TImage component has the biggest influence on the IDE response speed to Raspberry PI 4. I have more of them on the form, their gradual withdrawal speed increases until it reaches normal. On Raspberry PI, however, it works normally with all images on the Form.

DidaJI

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 12:14:47 pm »
Basically, only need to take one TImage component, put it on the Form and set up Align: alClient. Neither does it have to load any image to this one TImage and at that moment can be observed in the IDE lag. Small, but it's there.
Another Image components lead to more and more slow down.

DidaJI

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 12:27:21 pm »
I made a video where I can see it well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBmExC-ICD8&feature=youtu.be

DidaJI

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 12:53:18 pm »
And here is a video that shows the problem with the color of the large font: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOAQdGOXvCo&feature=youtu.be

I'm sorry for the quality, I record it from my screen by smartphone.

MarkMLl

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 04:42:42 pm »
I believe I've seen design-time performance problems related to a TImage or similar control running on a PC (KDE plus GTK2 widgets). However I'd not investigated in enough depth to raise it on Mantis etc.

MarkMLl

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 05:45:39 pm »
Problem is only on PI4.
Yes. seems you have to do:
Code: Bash  [Select][+][-]
  1. sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
(even that takes some manual intervention)

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 05:48:24 pm by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

MarkMLl

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 08:24:58 pm »
Probably better to do all three steps, i.e. update, upgrade and finally dist-upgrade. There's also a Raspbian-specific command to update the linker etc., sorry but I don't have one running at the moment so can't remember what it's called.

However, OP hasn't told us exactly what OS he's running, i.e. whether it's Raspbian Buster or generic Debian Buster which I think runs on later RPi4s. He also hasn't told us whether it's a version that is explicitly qualified for running on an RPi4 or if it's a slightly older one.

But I still believe that I've seen a similar IDE slowdown on a standard PC.

MarkMLl

DidaJI

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 09:10:54 pm »
I believe I've seen design-time performance problems related to a TImage or similar control running on a PC (KDE plus GTK2 widgets). However I'd not investigated in enough depth to raise it on Mantis etc.

MarkMLl

Tomorrow I'll try it on a PC. But it is definitely much faster on RPI 3B+ than on RPI 4.

DidaJI

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 09:15:56 pm »
Problem is only on PI4.
Yes. seems you have to do:
Code: Bash  [Select][+][-]
  1. sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
(even that takes some manual intervention)

I run it on RPI 4 with the latest raspbian Buster:

Installation on SD card from here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/ (Raspbian Buster with desktop), after installation:
apt-get install update
apt-get install upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade
rpi-update

Zdenek.

BosseB

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2019, 10:54:58 am »
I run it on RPI 4 with the latest raspbian Buster:

Installation on SD card from here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/ (Raspbian Buster with desktop), after installation:
apt-get install update
apt-get install upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade
rpi-update

Zdenek.
No. These are the commands:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo reboot
sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade (provided the previous sudo apt update indicated a fully up to date system)
sudo reboot

You do not "install" update or upgrade...
And you need sudo.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 03:15:16 pm by BosseB »
--
Bo Berglund
Sweden

MarkMLl

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2019, 11:57:13 am »
No. These are the commands:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt reboot
sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade (provided the previous sudo apt update indicated a fully up to date system)
sudo reboot

You do not "install" update or upgrade...
And you need sudo.

Yes and no. I agree that the "install" was spurious. You either need sudo on each command or you need to be running in a root-owned shell, that's why experienced unix users often show a prompt character at the start of each command- and get annoyed at unseasoned wiki editors who insist on removing them.

You don't need the second update, since the versions of available packages won't be changed by the upgrade. There is no  apt reboot  command, and a reboot at this point probably isn't necessary.

You might need the rpi-update command, it brings the lower-level loader and the kernel to a version nearer to the "bleeding edge", and this might be necessary if making sure that Raspbian has been updated for newer hardware.

You might find that rpi-update, and to a lesser extent upgrade and dist-upgrade, restart the SSH daemon. As a result if possible issue these commands either from the local console (i.e. physically connected screen and keyboard) or use the (GNU) screen command to make sure that they run to completion even if the session is interrupted.

MarkMLl

TinyPortal © 2005-2018