Recent

Author Topic: Wait or Force Kill?  (Read 1685 times)

katronix

Wait or Force Kill?
« on: November 03, 2019, 12:47:02 pm »
Hi all,

After spending some time away from FreePascal I wanted to come back to see if I could re-write some code that I did back in college. Trying to make a Tic Tac Toe game, and so far the screen just needs to show 9 butons on the form.

When starting the game either stand alone or from within the IDE everything freezes for a good long while till I get the Ubuntu "This  app is not responding do you want to kill it or wait"? at which point if I click on Wait, the app responds perfectly.

Any suggestions on what I need to change to make this issue go away? Using the newest version of Lazarus, 2.0.6, and Ubuntu 19.10

Thanks!

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki

katronix

Re: Wait or Force Kill?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 12:55:21 pm »
Glad to know I'm not the only one....

katronix

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 01:12:04 pm »
Is it possible to turn off the GDB from the executable?

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 01:29:16 pm »
When starting the game either stand alone or from within the IDE everything freezes for a good long while till I get the Ubuntu

Oh, sorry I missed the "stand alone". That is something different, nothing to do with gdb.
No idea what though.

Did you have a chance to test under some other OS? To be sure it is nothing in your code?

winni

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 01:48:26 pm »
Hi!

Interesting error! Let's see which process is "eating"  the time:

Start a terminal and launch "top". By default the running processes ar listed by CPU percentage.
Then start your app. Which process is jumping to the top of "top" and is consuming useless CPU cycles?

Winni

katronix

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 04:20:15 pm »
Start a terminal and launch "top". By default the running processes ar listed by CPU percentage.
Then start your app. Which process is jumping to the top of "top" and is consuming useless CPU cycles?

This was really hard to determine because the terminal screen froze while waiting on the Wait or Force Kill to come up

katronix

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 04:21:18 pm »
When starting the game either stand alone or from within the IDE everything freezes for a good long while till I get the Ubuntu

Oh, sorry I missed the "stand alone". That is something different, nothing to do with gdb.
No idea what though.

Did you have a chance to test under some other OS? To be sure it is nothing in your code?

Currently the script is rather simple would hope its not, but will try it out.

katronix

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 02:04:47 am »

No idea what though.

Currently the script is rather simple would hope its not, but will try it out.

Under Windows 10 there are no issues running it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018