Recent

Author Topic: Unable to install a component in Lazarus 2.0.4  (Read 352 times)

ermeneuta

Unable to install a component in Lazarus 2.0.4
« on: October 27, 2019, 12:28:07 pm »
Warning : Noob here... need detailed instructions step-by-step...

I have just formatted an SD card and installed Raspbian Buster for my Raspberry Pi 3B.
Then I installed FPC 3.0.4 complete with source, and Lazarus 2.0.4
First problem : executing ./startlazarus it complains that in /usr/lib the two folder rtl and packages were missing...
I put them there copying from /usr/share/fpc-3.0.4/rtl  and  /usr/share/fpc-3.0.4/packages.

So far so good, now Lazarus starts without complaining.

Then I tried to install a component I wrote in the past when working with Lazarus 1.9 and which then gave no errors.
The component is compiled correctly, but when rebuilding the Lazarus IDE I get this error message :

lazarus.pp(167,0) Error: Can't create assembler file: /usr/lib/lazarus/units/arm-linux/gtk2/lazarus.s

Maybe (maybe...) it is just a problem of permissions, but my very poor knowledge of Linux at this point doesn't suggest me a solution...

Help, please...

TNX
Albert

Thaddy

Re: Unable to install a component in Lazarus 2.0.4
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 12:33:13 pm »
You should extend the swap file (unless you have a RPi4 with 2+ GB, in which case it is not necessary).
https://www.bitpi.co/2015/02/11/how-to-change-raspberry-pis-swapfile-size-on-rasbian/ is a good way to do that.

Don't look to far: this is all that is necessary... really...
I am more like donkey than shrek

ermeneuta

Re: Unable to install a component in Lazarus 2.0.4
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 03:42:51 pm »
Thanks for your answer. I expanded the swap file, and verified (using free -m) that actually now the size is at 1024.
Unfortunately this did not solve the problem...

But, guessing a permission problem, I tried to start Lazarus using sudo :

sudo /usr/lib/lazarus/startlazarus

This worked ! The component is compiled, the IDE is rebuilt, Lazarus is restarted, and now I see the icon of that component in the component palette.

My doubt now is this : will having started Lazarus as root have negative consequences ?
Thanks for any answer.

Albert

TinyPortal © 2005-2018