Recent

Author Topic: Auto incrementing build numbers  (Read 2756 times)

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
Auto incrementing build numbers
« on: October 22, 2019, 08:43:21 am »
I find it a little odd that for the build number to auto increment the file version build number you need to 1) Build and then 2) Compile or the build and file version build numbers are out of sync.

Maybe it's just me... it took me a fair while to notice the anomaly and what caused it.

valdir.marcos

Re: Auto incrementing build numbers
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 08:31:53 am »
I find it a little odd that for the build number to auto increment the file version build number you need to 1) Build
That's exactly what "build number" means: every time you build your project, its number is increased.

and then 2) Compile or the build and file version build numbers are out of sync.
Compile should not change build number since you are only testing, but Build should change File Version information.
This is how things work on a professional environment using Continuous Integration tools.
The individual development and compiling [of team members] does not change build number, but commiting that to a central CI tool does change build number on a daily basis of building process.

Maybe it's just me... it took me a fair while to notice the anomaly and what caused it.
Could you elaborate?

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 11:29:01 am »
Could you elaborate?

If I build a project 5 times, the application version information does not change. If I subsequently compile the application once, the application version number increments by 5.

valdir.marcos

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 05:48:27 pm »
Could you elaborate?
If I build a project 5 times, the application version information does not change. If I subsequently compile the application once, the application version number increments by 5.
Please, open a bug report and link to this thread.
https://bugs.freepascal.org/my_view_page.php

TinyPortal © 2005-2018