Recent

Author Topic: First five minutes with Lazarus.  (Read 16985 times)

Zaher

• parmaja.org
RE: Re: RE: First five minutes with Lazarus.
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 04:37:10 am »
I always ask how did you have time to work on FPC or Lazarus projects, if i want to work on open source project i must work after midnight or at my work with permission from by both.
From where you are get time to work free?

We have to thank them for it.

Yes i agree.

movaxbx

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 09:14:11 pm »
Even if something is open source, it doesn't mean it can't be crap.
Even if something is open source, it doesn't mean it's automatically worth thanking for.
Even if something is open source, it does not change human nature - it's human to complain.
Even if something is open source, it does not mean that friendly support of newbies is impossible.

Lighten up, folks, he encountered a bug and reported it here on the forum because he didn't know where else he should report it.
He complained because he's human, and now you've driven him away for good. Hope you're proud.

Vincent Snijders

• Administrator
    • My Lazarus wiki user page
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 11:15:41 pm »
Welcome movaxbx, for this contribution.

If everybody could be so wise, I would never respond in such human way anymore.

Vincent Snijders

• Administrator
    • My Lazarus wiki user page
Re: First five minutes with Lazarus.
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 11:21:32 pm »
Quote from: "hamer"
Start Lazarus (advertized as 'quality of Delphi 7').

Who did make this awful mistake to spread this misinformation? Lazarus tries to be Delphi compatible is some ways without supporting the .Net extensions, which may remind some people to Delphi 7.

Google doesn't help.

JanRoza

• http://www.silentwings.nl
First five minutes with Lazarus.
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 10:12:14 am »
I don't think anyone drove him away, maybe he has the wrong expectations about Lazarus. No, Lazarus is not a wrapped package of faultless software.
Just look at its version number and you know it's a product in the making and not finished by a long way, when the version number says 1.xx you may expect something not before that.
If those two (minor) problems already scare you away don't use it.
I think Lazarus is already a great product, not finished, not flawless, but very usable.
So no one has to feel guilty of frightening someone of, it's that person itself that expects too much and has no patience to see the (many) good things in Lazarus. It's so easy to criticise and less so being constructive.

Just my humble opinion.

Jan  :)
       Lazarus 3.2 FPC 3.2.2
       CodeTyphon 8.40 FPC 3.3.1

OnixJr

• http://www.brlazarus.kit.net
First five minutes with Lazarus.
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 02:50:02 pm »
Start Lazarus (advertized as 'quality of Delphi 7').

I do not remember to have seen "BETA" in the title bar of Delphi 7 =)

I think this was my last 5 minutes with Lazarus.

Maybe better pay for a "perfect program" as Delphi 7.

You can help Lazarus reporting bugs,
otherwise, the lazarus developers can't fix what they don't know [as bug].

Good Luck!
Portal Lazarus Brasil - http://lazaruspascal.codigolivre.org.br/portal.php
Lazarus BOOK (in portuguese) - http://lazarus-book.blogspot.com
<hipernetjr@yahoo.com.br> - Curitiba/Brazil

gerardus

Re: RE: Re: RE: First five minutes with Lazarus.
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2008, 12:57:54 pm »
Since I may have done the most offensive reply, I feel I have to answer:

Quote from: "movaxbx"
Even if something is open source, it doesn't mean it can't be crap.

Amen.

Even if something is open source, it doesn't mean it's automatically worth thanking for.

I disagree. You may find it useful or not, crap or not, but someone spent some time and energy working on it and you can have the results of this for free. Constructive criticism is another thing.

Even if something is open source, it does not change human nature - it's human to complain.

It may be human, but complaining about open source is like complaining about a gift, it's bad education.

Even if something is open source, it does not mean that friendly support of newbies is impossible.

The first replies he got where trying to help him, but he went into "this is crap, I told you so" mode.

He complained because he's human, and now you've driven him away for good. Hope you're proud.

I am not proud, ignoring him may be have been better. I always try to help when:
- I feel I can help.
- There is a REAL question, not a complain because Lazarus is not Delphi 7.
- The question is made in a neutral or positive way. Nobody here makes money directly answering questions or developing Lazarus, so I don't feel I have to take the same amount of sh*t I have to take from paying customers.

Best regards,

Gerard.

bee

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: First five minutes with Lazarus.
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 04:40:37 pm »
Most people who complained about FPC/Lazarus are people who is expecting they would get an exact free open source Delphi clone. Plus, with Windows and Delphi way of thinking (single platform) in their mind. When they found it's not like what they expected, they complained! Nothing wrong with the complain itself as long as they did it in a constructive manner. :P

Yes, both Delphi and FPC/Laz using object pascal language, but that doesn't mean both would become exactly same thing. Even twins wouldn't be exactly same/equal. That's what they (people who complained) don't realize. ;) Shame on them. :P

Besides, we don't need that kind of people. Usually they are just spoiled programmers. Programmers who complain and rant first, but ask and think solutions later. :P
-Bee-

A long time pascal lover.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018