Recent

Author Topic: Compile error  (Read 5074 times)

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
Re: Compile error
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 09:03:27 am »
Because we can only guess what's going without you showing any source.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 09:17:10 am »
If you are really bound to an NDA, can you give us at least a list of all the files ( with their extensions ) and for every source unit used the uses clauses - there may be two per unit - and any {$L} or {$LINKLIB}. At least I can make an educated guess of what is wrong without seeing full code.

Note that batch file merely deletes intermediate binaries.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 09:22:12 am by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

MarkMLl

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2019, 09:48:41 am »
Not sure if I can post the code since I signed a NDA.
[...]
BTW, I'm using BP (Boreland-Pascal) ver 7.

Please, it's Borland Pascal.

Do you have the manuals for this? If not then you will find copies at http://bitsavers.org/pdf/borland/turbo_pascal/ which I suggest will be more useful than referring to FPC, since after 20 years the variants of Pascal have diverged (FPC has things that were largely unthought of in the early part of the millennium, and has differences of both design and implementation brought about by the fact that cross-platform operation is much more important today than it was back then).

Whether you already have the manual or have to download the PDFs, read the parts that deal with overall program structure, and if necessary look for some books on Pascal. People here are, I'm sure, happy to help but there's limits to what it's fair to ask particularly if you're being paid to do the work but want free advice relating to something which is, basically, off-topic.

You also need to consider that whatever OS you're currently using is likely to handle some things differently from the version of DOS (or Windows-386, Desqview etc.) that was being used when BP7 was mainstream, and on occasion that can cause problems (e.g. when modern anti-malware precautions become intrusive).

If you don't have the manuals, don't have software experience, and suspect that the files etc. are incomplete or inconsistent, then tell whoever's given you the job that you can't do it within his constraints.

MarkMLl
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 09:59:25 am by MarkMLl »
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

Thaddy

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2019, 11:46:54 am »
Not sure if I can post the code since I signed a NDA.
[...]
BTW, I'm using BP (Boreland-Pascal) ver 7.

Please, it's Borland Pascal.
That does not mean I or others  would not be able to help him.
Suggest OP asks me in private (with the constraints I described above already figured out!)

MarkMLl

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2019, 11:54:39 am »
I'm sure that everybody here is happy to help, but the reality of an NDA etc. can make it difficult.

Thaddy

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2019, 12:08:41 pm »
I'm sure that everybody here is happy to help, but the reality of an NDA etc. can make it difficult.
An NDA on 30 year old code doesn't really make sense. If it was protected by patents they have long been invalid.
That said: I would gladly write an NDA for most but not all code I share that was written by me 30 years ago.... :-[ :-X :o ;D

This is more like software archaeology. TP 1.0, TP3.0 and TP 5.5. are exhibits in a museum!. Now we have to find the missing link: BP7.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 12:18:40 pm by Thaddy »

lucamar

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2019, 01:08:59 pm »
This is one of the things I'm trying to determine. When the TPU/TPP files are created. If they're supposed to be on the source code disk or if they get created during the compiling process.

It can be both: you may have a pre-compiled unit (the .TPP file) or the source code for it (or both).

Here is (very basically!) how it works: your uses clause has some unit names. When you compile two things can happen: if the TPU/TPP file exists and isn't older than the corresponding .PAS file, it's used directly; otherwise, the .PAS file will be compiled to a TPU/TPP.

The point here is that you must have either a pre-compiled TPU/TPP or the corresponding .PAS source file. If you haven't got either of them you'll never be able to compile the program.
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

MarkMLl

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2019, 03:34:32 pm »
An NDA on 30 year old code doesn't really make sense. If it was protected by patents they have long been invalid.
That said: I would gladly write an NDA for most but not all code I share that was written by me 30 years ago.... :-[ :-X :o ;D

This is more like software archaeology. TP 1.0, TP3.0 and TP 5.5. are exhibits in a museum!. Now we have to find the missing link: BP7.

It's not necessarily an NDA on the code, but could equally be an NDA to his employer or to whoever's hired him as a consultant to redo the hardware which uses the BP demo program.

I'm obviously as happy to help as anybody, but the combination of an NDA and a possible non-standard build mechanism (e.g. source files being checked out of PVCS, compiled and immediately deleted) is likely to make it very difficult.

Thaddy

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2019, 03:38:49 pm »
With my experience, or Lucamar's, or just oldies, we need at least a file list of everything. (I still have BP7, not installed).
The file list and the uses clauses will reveal a lot about something missing, Watson  8-)

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2019, 03:41:44 pm »
19 posts, still no FPC relevance in the questions, direct or indirect -> lock thread

TinyPortal © 2005-2018