Recent

Author Topic: QT vs Lazarus  (Read 8780 times)

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
Re: QT vs Lazarus
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 09:08:59 am »
lets clarify. my definition of what is 'virtual machine' to me

a virtual machine is an executable, a library, or a set of libraries NEEDED to emulate when not available, functions, api, look and feel, over underlaying OSes ones. In other terms, a precompiled "interface' between interfaces of your program and the NATIVE OS

so, Lazarus in not a Vmachine at all, while java is one of the majors, and Qt is an hybrid alike if you want, but is one  :P
According to your definition Lazarus is a virtual machine, because it is both a set of libraries NEEDED to emulate when not available, functions, api, look and feel, over underlaying OSes ones as well as a precompiled "interface' between interfaces of your program and the NATIVE OS. The LCL comes precompiled with Lazarus, that it can be easily recompiled does not matter, after all Qt can be recompiled as well.

That said your definition of virtual machine is definitely confusing, because the remainder of the world does not define it like that.

MarkMLl

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 09:30:31 am »
my definition is SIMPLE,

It's also wrong.
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

cobata

• Programmer-analyst
    • COBATA Software - Research, Development, Testing, Consulting
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 01:40:17 pm »
What is different is that Lazarus is a real two way tool, even with Qt so you have a direct correspondence between design and code.

Thaddy, what do you mean? Can we design the form in Lazarus and to bind the design objects to QtCreator C++ variables (references) and to code in C++ (in QtCreator)? With other words, one more generalized question is: is there intersection between Lazarus and QtCreator and possibility to use them together in some way, for example like Delphi and C++Builder, are there some converters between the Lazarus .lfm and the QtCreator form file correspondence?

BTW: I tried QtCreator few times, but I am not impressed from it, the reasons are: the poor component palette (C++Builder has thousands of components), and the license schema of Qt (the most useful components need commersial licensing, and again why to do not use C++Builder in this case). And another clarification: my choice is Lazarus (as owner), although my in company experience is in C/ C++).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 02:30:59 pm by cobata »
COBATA Software - Research, Development, Testing, Consulting
https://www.COBATA.com/

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 02:25:38 pm »
It simply means that Lazarus has components for the Qt widget set that does already wrap everything for you. No C++ involved.
You can subsequently use those components to immediately write Object Pascal code and you can also change that Object Pascal code and where necessary also the component properties ca be changed: a complete two way link between designer and code.
That is a big difference with Qt designer.
Specialize a type, not a var.

cobata

• Programmer-analyst
    • COBATA Software - Research, Development, Testing, Consulting
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2019, 02:47:44 pm »
Yes, thanks, Thaddy, I edited my question to be more clear (by Qt I ment QtCreator, and not the qt-ws used in Lazarus).
It was a question to you, but I will appreciate any info from the other community members too to the other parts of my question.
I found that there is a project in Lazarus CCR, doing an InterfaceBuilder for Lazarus, which will be like the XCode InterfaceBuilder and the GUI could be used in both Lazarus and XCode... Delphi/ Lazarus are not just cross-platform, but also cross-technology and this is even more powerful, and in this in mind I am asking for information about interoperability between Lazarus and QtCreator as IDEs and Application Projects?

Thank you!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 02:54:21 pm by cobata »
COBATA Software - Research, Development, Testing, Consulting
https://www.COBATA.com/

lucamar

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2019, 03:11:01 pm »
[...] information about interoperability between Lazarus and QtCreator as IDEs and Application Projects?

There is no off-the-box interoperability. Lazarus is basically kind of a "Delphi" for Free Pascal programs and uses its own file formats for project settings, forms, etc.

The only "interoperability" is with Delphi and is more of a "kind of compatible if you follow some rules" than full, real interoperability.

As a maximum, you could write (or search for) converters between the format of LFM files (Lazarus forms) and whatever format is used by QT Creator.

That's basically al there is to it. HTH.
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018