Recent

Author Topic: Why was my account deleted?  (Read 1319 times)

Razmataz2

Why was my account deleted?
« on: October 07, 2019, 11:07:31 pm »
I'm a newcomer to Free Pascal and Lazarus.  I've been voraciously reading, watching videos, and writing code. Today I created a forum account and then posted on a relevant topic on a relevant board. I came back a short time later to find that my account had been deleted.   I didn't violate any policies, didn't spam the boards, didn't use any inflammatory language and didn't otherwise misbehave. Why was my account deleted?

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
Re: Why was my account deleted?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 11:41:32 pm »
First of all, sorry for this.

I alerted the moderator in question for clarification.

While I do not have the details myself, I can give you the most likely explanation.

We are getting a lot of sign-ups from spammers. Some of which, will use the accounts much later for spam, some sooner. We use various techniques to try and detect those accounts as early as we can. Some of the decisions are based on heuristics.
In this process - unfortunately - every now and then we mistake a proper account for a potential spammer. We try to minimize this, but we can't entirely prevent it.

So I guess something about your registration (and it may be something that was not even under your control), will have triggered said heuristics.

If there is any other reason to what has happened, the moderator in question will probably add to my explanation in the next day or two.

Again very sorry for your first experience. And welcome to the forum.

Razmataz2

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 12:20:41 am »
Thanks for the post Martin.  Not a big deal, but certainly a bit bewildering.

Given your probable cause explanation, my guess is it was triggered by my registering two accounts from the same computer.  The first account was not activated because I never received the email confirmation link. I assume I fat-fingered the email address. Since I didn't see a way to verify or otherwise correct this, I was forced to register a second account.

Anyway - appreciate your taking the time to proffer an explanation.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 12:23:38 am by Razmataz2 »

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 12:24:17 am »
Im not an admin but was sure a mistake, I often erroneusly think that some new post from a new user is spam, some times these really are and some other times aren't. Really they write like any of us but then they edit their messages a put a link to any kind of website, not just malware but is like a kind of promotion, you know google adds you more importance to your website if it's more linked in the web, I think that is the second main reason, the first being the malware distribution.

So welcome to the forum and try to forget this small incidence.  :)

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 09:39:49 am »
No. The post itself was reported, and looked at first glance as a push for a job-site. I got some doubts afterwards because the very clear pascal angle that I noticed only afterwards. Spammers rarely bother to go into that detail.

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 12:20:47 pm »
At least once a spammer copied one of my posts as a new thread. That looked like a Pascal question  :)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018