Recent

Author Topic: Zipping all of Lazarus together to move to other PCs ?  (Read 1767 times)

jamie

Zipping all of Lazarus together to move to other PCs ?
« on: September 22, 2019, 01:25:45 am »
I have over time corrected many and I mean many issues with the LCL and a few other items and having multiple PC's is kind of tough synching all of them ..

What kind of issues would I expect if I were to compress the complete folder of Lazarus to port it over to other PC's to sync it ?

What concerns me is configuration settings ? I don't care about user folders and projects that were done on the source PC.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 02:56:27 am by jamie »
The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing

Cyrax

Re: Zipping all of Lazarus together to move to other PCs ?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 03:54:16 am »
You could set up a remote GIT/SVN server and commit all changes to it. Then in other PC's you just have to pull changes to them from your remote GIT/SVN server.

jamie

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 04:32:05 am »
The destination PC's all use the same root folder name, that is the way I normally do it.

So it's my understanding the configuration is in the user folders and if that being the case this will work out great.

I have laz already installed in the other PC's, its just a pain synching the fixes I put in there.

The only other issue is packages I have installed, I basically have the same packages on all the PC's so this should go in with no issues.

MarkMLl

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 11:53:10 am »
Certainly on Linux everything except for the underlying FPC compiler is in a single folder, plus configuration stuff in the user's home directory.

A local subversion server is easy to set up, particularly if you stick to the "classic" svn protocol which means that you don't have the overhead of Apache etc.

I've experimented with using a local server as an intermediate cache of an external project's central one, but found it rather unforgiving of any network glitches. Might have improved since.

I know that some people promote Git as the answer to a maiden's prayer, but when using it casually there's always the risk of transferring the entire project (all revisions of every file) rather than the most recent snapshot.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

Zath

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 12:11:28 pm »
This might sound daft but I'll say it anyway.
Why not create a patcher/updater for your intstallation.
Use a patchlist based on filename, file date, file size or whatever.
Compare the main patchlist with the local and update accordingly.

Just an idea.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 12:17:04 pm »
You can also sync it with one of GoogleDrive/DropBox/OneDrive.
I tried that once or twice and had good results as long as the Lazarus and FPC Install was on the virtual drive directory. Poor man's cloud.
Specialize a type, not a var.

jamie

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 06:28:40 pm »
I am going to try this sometime today..

Thanks.

JoeJoeTV

• Hobbyist Programmer
    • Useless Website
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 02:16:48 pm »
From what I understand, you want to have a portable lazarus installation.

If I'm wrong, correct me please.

I also had this problem and after not finding a good solution, I wrote a program that you can put into a folder with lazarus and it keeps the configuration and so on updated, even if the path changes, so you can put lazarus on a usb stick and run it directly from there.

Here is the program: https://github.com/JoeJoeTV/startLazarusPortable

It is currently only for Windows, but I may update it to work on linux.

To use it, just copy the files from a fresh install or an old installation into the same directory. The config directory will be "LazarusConfig" in the same direcotry.
To start lazarus, you run the "startLazarusPortable.exe".
This program modifies the config files of lazarus and the fpc compiler, so if you have modified these, test first if everything works with a copy.
Lazarus 2.2.4 / FPC 3.2.2 / 64bit / Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
https://github.com/JoeJoeTV

jamie

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 10:50:49 pm »
I try to keep all installs I have of the 32 bit version for example in sync so that installed packages, bug fixes I make for the LCL,Fpc code stay synced

So basically I want to make a copy of all files of one install that I know is fit and up to date and then over write the other installs of the same release version, of course.

I suppose I can write a script in Inno Setup to compress all files except the configuration files per machine.

It would be nice if Laz had a way to package itself with current file structures of the libs in the same manner as it is when down loading the release version.

I guess you could call it portable, it would be making a copy of the files you have and any of those that got edited for fixes or mods.

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 12:18:02 am »
What kind of issues would I expect if I were to compress the complete folder of Lazarus to port it over to other PC's to sync it ?
If you use fpcupdeluxe for your Lazarus installation, then all you need to do is to copy whole lazarus dir and shortcut to another computer and you will be able to start it using the shortcut. The only limitation of this way is that you can not change the directory.

Here is the program: https://github.com/JoeJoeTV/startLazarusPortable
Thank you. I will try it.
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

TinyPortal © 2005-2018