Recent

Author Topic: Normal IDE?  (Read 1562 times)

guest48180

Normal IDE?
« on: September 18, 2019, 03:34:05 am »
So I just added a few components to Lazarus, using the Online Package Manager. After installs complete, I'm asked if I want to rebuild a Normal IDE. I gave it the obvious answer of YES. But what wld happen if I told it NO? Wld I be allowed to breakdown my ever-growing Components bar so I wld have easier access to things? Maybe someone who's actually clicked NO on this can fill me in with what making that selection did for/to them  :D

Thanks.

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
Re: Normal IDE?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 09:08:25 am »
If you would have clicked No then the IDE wouldn't be rebuilt and you wouldn't have your added components available in the component palette (or removed components wouldn't be removed). Only with the next build they'd appear (or disappear).

wp

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 10:33:02 am »
When you select "Yes" the new package will become part of the IDE so that the IDE can use them at designtime. This is necessary because Lazarus cannot load packages dynamically. Knowing this you'll understand that the IDE easily can crash when the new package is defective.

When you click "No" you still can use the new components, but only at runtime, i.e. you would have to create the new components and set their properties by code. BTW this is a good idea if you want to avoid an "ever-growing components bar" due to rarely used components.

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 09:13:57 am »
When you click "No" you still can use the new components, but only at runtime, i.e. you would have to create the new components and set their properties by code. BTW this is a good idea if you want to avoid an "ever-growing components bar" due to rarely used components.
But they would nevertheless become part of the IDE upon the next rebuild of the IDE.

To avoid "component bloat" and to use a package only at runtime it's enough to simply open the package once so that the IDE knows about it and it can then be selected in the requirements of the project.

wp

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 10:05:08 am »
Right. Thanks for clarifying my post.

guest48180

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 03:09:41 am »
Thanks for the clarification, PascalDragon and wp. I did add several packages all at once, bloating my components bar, when I installed the Rx packages (their TRxDBGrid is awesome!) and will be removing a lot of the other stuff.

Thanks again.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018