Recent

Author Topic: Assembling errors: bad instruction and size errors.  (Read 7307 times)

DonaldShimoda

• Parallel Pascal Worlds
Assembling errors: bad instruction and size errors.
« on: September 03, 2019, 01:39:36 am »
Seems like the assembler generated a line exceding 256 chars and fails building for raspberry pi arm.
there's any way to extend the size allowed for a single line?

PROJECT\lib\arm-linux\BasicServicesSchemaClient_Intf.s:86470: Error: bad instruction `wrpr_$basicservicesschemaclient_intf_$$_tsesiones_historico_clientes_webdatatablerules_$_isesiones_historico_clientes_web_$_33_$_basicservicesschemaclient_intf$_$tsesiones_historico_clientes_webdatatablerules_$__$$_getid_sesiones_historico_webvalue$$ansis'

PROJECT\lib\arm-linux\BasicServicesSchemaClient_Intf.s: Error: .size expression for WRPR_$BASICSERVICESSCHEMACLIENT_INTF_$$_TSESIONES_HISTORICO_CLIENTES_WEBDATATABLERULES_$_ISESIONES_HISTORICO_CLIENTES_WEB_$_33_$_BASICSERVICESSCHEMACLIENT_INTF$_$TSESIONES_HISTORICO_CLIENTES_WEBDATATABLERULES_$__$$_GETID_SESIONES_HISTORICO_WEBVALUE$$ANSIS does not evaluate to a constant

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
Re: Assembling errors: bad instruction and size errors.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 09:06:27 am »
I do not have the problem, compiling trunk with bog standard English, but it looks like a natural language issue. I would report it as a bug, but do not forget to describe the natural language you are using.
(I compile FPC trunk daily for RPi 3/4 and less regularly for older Pi's or RPi zero's)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 09:09:31 am by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 10:36:09 am »
That could be, the assembler readers date from a period  when there was a lot of shortstring use.

If not trunk, then test trunk, and file a bug otherwise, preferably with an example (e.g. of code that generates such long symbols)

DonaldShimoda

• Parallel Pascal Worlds
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 02:47:47 pm »
Thanks Marco, will try with trunk fpc.

DonaldShimoda

• Parallel Pascal Worlds
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 03:10:44 pm »
I do not have the problem, compiling trunk with bog standard English, but it looks like a natural language issue. I would report it as a bug, but do not forget to describe the natural language you are using.
(I compile FPC trunk daily for RPi 3/4 and less regularly for older Pi's or RPi zero's)

BTW, I don't believe is a language issue, as Marco pointed is a shortstring usage problem in the assembly chain. The problem is that units is autogenerated and procedure names are really big.

Im testing trunk and comeback.

Best regards.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 03:15:42 pm by DonaldShimoda »

Thaddy

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 03:53:53 pm »
BTW, I don't believe is a language issue, as Marco pointed is a shortstring usage problem in the assembly chain. The problem is that units is autogenerated and procedure names are really big.
It is a natural language issue, because e.g. Spanish or Portuguese, but also under circumstances languages like French, Italian, Dutch or German, are - way - more verbose than English and therefor run out of shortstring space much earlier.
Marco seems to agree with me and understood what I was pointing at.
That also means it is a shortstring issue, but revealed by the issue as I explained.
Not a minor issue, since it requires a string type change in the compiler to be fixed properly.

DonaldShimoda

• Parallel Pascal Worlds
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 08:16:12 pm »
If an English speaker named variables and procedures in a very very detailed way... will have the same problem... ::) Not a natural language issue at all.  :D
Let´s concentrate in the real problem.

BTW, can't  test In trunk compiler yet.Will try tomorrow.

Thaddy

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 08:27:38 pm »
If an English speaker named variables and procedures in a very very detailed way... will have the same problem... ::) Not a natural language issue at all.  :D
Let´s concentrate in the real problem.

BTW, can't  test In trunk compiler yet.Will try tomorrow.
Well it surfaced it.
I wrote:
"Not a minor issue, since it requires a string type change in the compiler to be fixed properly."

TinyPortal © 2005-2018